Lt. Commander
# 1 How to Make Borg Actually Borg
03-13-2010, 12:15 PM
This hasnt got much to do with stats, its just the visual asthetics and Cryptic seem profoundly interested in making this game LOOK good with the amount of cosmetic changes they have made over substance.

Regardless, it makes sense the Borg, being an iconic part of Star Trek and the endgame enemy should be cosmetically accurate to suit that status. As it is, the Borg look cartoony and while its unreasonable to expect them to ever get video quality Borg it would be nice to at least try and get it a bit closer.

Examples:

ST TNG: BOBW Cube

ST VOY: Scorpion Cube

STO Borg Cube:

I prefer BOBW cube when it was less 'evil' green but I'm willing to go with that trend but the current texture for STO just looks bad. Especially at range which the STO picture demonstrates when the green bits look silly.

STO's Wallpaper depicts a far better look for Borg cubes IMO:

STO Borg Wallpaper

Solution: Flatten out the rectangle protusions from the hull and reduce the green aspects significantly to a few spots. Although it might be simply just to remove the green completely if the engine cannot handle it properly at range.

The Tactical cube needs to be seriously worked over as well:

ST:VOY Tactical Cube

The big gaping hole the current Tactical cube has looks silly and can be fixed by putting on the armor plates.

Additonal Ship:

Borg Diamond

I would like to see this ship make an appearance as a Borg science vessel equivelent.

----

Is it too much to ask for Cryptic to make the Borg intimidating and replicate the atmosphere like this:

Borg Trailer 1

Borg Trailer 2

Borg Trailer 3

Incidentally, I would suggest Cryptic takes notes on the voice modulation of the Borg in the series because STO Borg just arent there yet. The recent STF: The Cure has a lot more voice from the Borg and it just dosent sound right.

It would be nice if some of the iconic music for the Borg could be replicated as well. Specifically the soundtrack from Best of Both Worlds which can be heard briefly in the first trailer clip.

Anyway, I think this would make for a far more interesting endgame asthetically and asthetic sells... just look at all the people wanting skirts, more costume options and ship models.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Seeing as how this is 30+ years in the future, and the Borg have changed, I like the changes. However, I do agree that they can tone down the green glow a little bit.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Borg ships should be menacing and functional, as it is they look comical and inefficient.

The stuff protuding from the surface of the cubes is way over done and the green lighting looks silly. I realise Voyager and the series gradually ripped the Borg into being a pathetic bunch of zombies that like running around in the dark but I would have hoped Cryptic would try and restore the Borg to being something more respectable.

Less green and more matte black.
Less random junk sticking out of their cube and better textured surfaces.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Well, canonically, the Borg did just manage to free themselves from their ironic assimilation into the Caeliar gestalt, if we want to incorporate Star Trek: Destiny's Borg shenanegans. It would stand to reason that they would look a bit odd, and their inefficiency at Vega Colony strikes home the point that they aren't quite back to themselves yet.

However, I'm going to have to agree that the Borg ships look ugly. Not to mention that most of the encounters I've seen them in have all sorts of green mist everywhere, which just makes the cubes look even greener. Matte blackreally is the way to go.

Although I do like the wierd and erratic parts sticking out of the cubes. It's just the excessive use of green that irks me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Um, firstly...

The Borg are supposed to be adapting to my weapons after every shot - unless someone can give me an infinimod.

The nanoprobe tubuals do NOT shoot 8 feet across the screen to hit me for DPS...

And, last...

The Borg DO NOT attack me until they perceive me as a threat. If I don't fire any shots at them, they should ignore me completely. And, when they DO attack me - the first and ONLY thing they should do is say: "We are the Borg...Lower your shields and surrender your ships, we will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will be adapted to service us. Resistance is futile."
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-14-2010, 12:17 AM
ok Nix, I'm gonna counter each of your points and explain to you why cryptic didn't get the borg wrong, but rather simply made them internally consistant.

Quote:
The Borg are supposed to be adapting to my weapons after every shot - unless someone can give me an infinimod.
or unless Starfleet's figured out how to rip through the sheilds. which they have. the personal sheilds every player and MANY NPCs use are likely based off borg technology, and you'll notice that the borg DO adapt to your attacks (the ones in the admiral zone at least) you've got 2 or 3 shots tops then the borg "adapt" and they suddenly all gain sheilds. the thing is that you can just rip through these sheilds. Starfleet's had a good ~40 years to develop anti-borg technologyis it REALLY so impossiable that starfleet's figured out how the borg are adapting their personal defensive systems and simply figured out how to punch through em? sure the borg adapt, but so does everyone else. arms and armor are not developed at a stagnant pace.

Quote:
The nanoprobe tubuals do NOT shoot 8 feet across the screen to hit me for DPS...
why not? adaption isn't just a matter of adjusting your sheild frequencies, it's often a matter of useing your technology in new differnt and improved ways. yet again the federation and borg have had over 30 years of hostilites, both sides are going to have developed new tools to fight the other.

Quote:
The Borg DO NOT attack me until they perceive me as a threat. If I don't fire any shots at them, they should ignore me completely. And, when they DO attack me - the first and ONLY thing they should do is say: "We are the Borg...Lower your shields and surrender your ships, we will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will be adapted to service us. Resistance is futile."
the borg have had 30 years to learn that people wearing starfleet uniforms are generally trouble and should proably be shot at. give em some credit now!

as for their talking, we dunno the full story behind what's happened to the borg since voyager shot their "command centre" up... but they've CLEARLY changed , which I think is at the heart of your issue, cryptic designed these borg to be differnt. they designed them to be "not your daddies borg"

besides the borg have gotten more and more verbose with every encounter.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
You think that they might not have learnt over the years that no Starfleet Captain is ever going to surrender.
The Conversation now on a Borg Cube. Talking is Futile blow the assimilated crap out of him.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
ok Nix, I'm gonna counter each of your points and explain to you why cryptic didn't get the borg wrong, but rather simply made them internally consistant.
Allow me to do the same...

Quote:

or unless Starfleet's figured out how to rip through the sheilds. which they have. the personal sheilds every player and MANY NPCs use are likely based off borg technology, and you'll notice that the borg DO adapt to your attacks (the ones in the admiral zone at least) you've got 2 or 3 shots tops then the borg "adapt" and they suddenly all gain sheilds. the thing is that you can just rip through these sheilds. Starfleet's had a good ~40 years to develop anti-borg technologyis it REALLY so impossiable that starfleet's figured out how the borg are adapting their personal defensive systems and simply figured out how to punch through em? sure the borg adapt, but so does everyone else. arms and armor are not developed at a stagnant pace.
The Borg aren't adapting, they're just adding shields. Those shields should adapt to each attack I use such that my attacks stop being effective. I realize the reason this hasn't been implemented is because I am only allowed to carry two weapons. While your argument may have merit that Starfleet has had 30 years to improve their attacks...the Borg have had just as long to improve their defenses, so the argument fails on its face.

Quote:

why not? adaption isn't just a matter of adjusting your sheild frequencies, it's often a matter of useing your technology in new differnt and improved ways. yet again the federation and borg have had over 30 years of hostilites, both sides are going to have developed new tools to fight the other.
The injection tubuals have never been a weapon. Its just bad coding that they launch across the screen to attack me anyway. Hitting me up close is canon, it should be coded as such.

Quote:

the borg have had 30 years to learn that people wearing starfleet uniforms are generally trouble and should proably be shot at. give em some credit now!

as for their talking, we dunno the full story behind what's happened to the borg since voyager shot their "command centre" up... but they've CLEARLY changed , which I think is at the heart of your issue, cryptic designed these borg to be differnt. they designed them to be "not your daddies borg"

besides the borg have gotten more and more verbose with every encounter.
This is all very apologeticist of you, of course. The Borg have had 30 years to adapt...they have also had 30 years to adapt to the 30 year advanced technology given to them when the queen assimilated Admiral Janeway. Even if the Federation and the Borg continued to develop their technologies, the best that could ever be hoped is that they remain similarly advanced - with the Borg being the superior enemy. At no time should the Borg be dumbed-down to compensate for a lack of ingenuity on the part of the designers of this game. Why aren't there any hand-held torpedo launchers for the Federation? These should be standard issue. Everyone should have cloaking devices...they should also have some sort of inter-phasic device that allows them to walk through walls. Its 30 years in the future of the Federation and all that I can see is the Federation of 100 years ago with enemies that have been dialed down to be nothing but nuisances.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
You think that they might not have learnt over the years that no Starfleet Captain is ever going to surrender.
The Conversation now on a Borg Cube. Talking is Futile blow the assimilated crap out of him.
The Borg adapt. They already had an airborne nanoprobe pathogen designed for resistant species like Humans and 8472. They gain nothing by blowing up their opportunity to acquire such resilient species.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-14-2010, 01:03 AM
So how would letting the borg assimilate you improve your gameplay. You then become one of them, no free will following their directives, ordered around told what to do when and where. No promotion no new more powerful ship. There has to be some allowances in the name of gameplay.