Lt. Commander
# 11
03-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Mind games: Getting in people's heads, learning how they think, react, move. Know what makes them agitated and exploit that to make them slip up then go for the kill.

Be unpredictable: Change officer load outs often. If knowledge is power, then being unknown is like being invincible.

Killer instinct: Chase down runners with aggression. Ram them.

I'm starting to sound like the Book of Five Rings here, I read it twice a year for karate. It's a good read if you want to build a sense of competitiveness, for anything. Same with The Art of War, we really mean it when we say "Less QQ, more Sun Tzu".
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-14-2010, 04:51 AM
The klingons, They can make any fed look good. Their lack of skill and ability to scurry away when in trouble like little mice helps even the novice Fed look good.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-14-2010, 08:24 AM
apparently because i can do over 1mil damage kill 47 players in a salvage map, alas it was spoiled by my two deaths
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I don't often lose to my knowledge, this is because I recognise skill when I see it and leave the map asap!
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Sheer luck is how I stumbled upon PVP decency.

Honestly, just two days ago I did pitiful damage in cap and holds, I figured it was because I was science so I concentrated on sneaking around the map, being a pest and forcing the Ks to come kill me to get their node back. Then one time I accidentally left my power setting to weapons (instead of shields, as my usual plan was to make them kill me slowly). One BoP decloaks, I make a show of firing at him... except this time I'm actually doing damage. His forward facing is going down fast. My fearful instincts take over and I steer away from him, and on a lark I decide to give him T:HY from my new aft quantums. A couple seconds later I'm treated to loud explosions and I look at my target. 6% hull. I position myself to strafe and my phasers finish the job.

Fed PVP Strategy 101, and it only took me a month to get it, lol. But that first real 1 on 1 kill gave me confidence to keep trying and refining my attacks, collecting truly useful boff powers, and now I almost always place in top 5 damage (even with me mainly avoiding battle and going for nodes), win the vast majority of my 1 on 1s, and if the Ks want to kick me off of a node they need to bring a few friends.

Moral of the story: Having fun losing is a foolproof path to having fun winning.