Lt. Commander
I know this will be little time consuming for someone to do, but is there anyone out there with the knowledge and experience as well as the mathematical mind to put together a Class mechanics guide? Obviously it would be best if the person writing up the guide sticks to the class he/she knows and understands best.

These class mechanic guides should be a reference point for those who wish to learn how to play a certain class and/or spec associated with the class. (yes I am aware that there are a few threads here and there going over various parts of the game and classes, but what I am looking for is something very in-debth as you would find on Elitist Jerks).

A few examples of important questions that should be covered in the guides are below...

What are the best weapons to use as an Engineer and why?
Which spec is best for PVP/PVE and why?
Is there a spec we should go if were more interested in solo play and vice versa?
Is my ship choice determined by the class and spec I choose to play, and in what way would the different choices effect the efficiency of my character?
What race/class/spec as well as weapon/armor etc mix would yield the highest DPS output?
When creating my character, which attributes are best for which roles/class/specs?

Basically, every question you would have asked yourself when you first started playing that you've come to find an answer to through your time in the game, should be asked and answered in the guide.

I have an example of what I mean. (im not the best at expressing myself or putting things into words so I always find the best way for me to get something across is to find examples ^.^)

Here is a very good example of a site dedicated to teaching people the fine details of WoW class/specs/mechanics etc. I'm sure many of you know about this site as there are no doubt a few ex WoW players here. :p

http://elitistjerks.com/f31/

Just a friendly request should there be anyone out there with the time, knowledge and experience to be able to put a guide together. I know I and I am sure many others out there would love to have a place like Elitist Jerks for STO, but a few guides here would be the next best thing. ^.^

Thanks for reading!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Post at the STOked forum at Jupiter Broadcasting. Maybe STOked chubby skywalker will do a math segment on ths.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2010, 10:34 PM
EDIT: Found it. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but certainly its a start:

http://theenginescannaetakeit.wordpr...racter-basics/
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeetMeanBigLobes
I know this will be little time consuming for someone to do, but is there anyone out there with the knowledge and experience as well as the mathematical mind to put together a Class mechanics guide? Obviously it would be best if the person writing up the guide sticks to the class he/she knows and understands best.

These class mechanic guides should be a reference point for those who wish to learn how to play a certain class and/or spec associated with the class. (yes I am aware that there are a few threads here and there going over various parts of the game and classes, but what I am looking for is something very in-debth as you would find on Elitist Jerks).

A few examples of important questions that should be covered in the guides are below...

What are the best weapons to use as an Engineer and why?
Which spec is best for PVP/PVE and why?
Is there a spec we should go if were more interested in solo play and vice versa?
Is my ship choice determined by the class and spec I choose to play, and in what way would the different choices effect the efficiency of my character?
What race/class/spec as well as weapon/armor etc mix would yield the highest DPS output?
When creating my character, which attributes are best for which roles/class/specs?

Basically, every question you would have asked yourself when you first started playing that you've come to find an answer to through your time in the game, should be asked and answered in the guide.

I have an example of what I mean. (im not the best at expressing myself or putting things into words so I always find the best way for me to get something across is to find examples ^.^)

Here is a very good example of a site dedicated to teaching people the fine details of WoW class/specs/mechanics etc. I'm sure many of you know about this site as there are no doubt a few ex WoW players here. :p

http://elitistjerks.com/f31/

Just a friendly request should there be anyone out there with the time, knowledge and experience to be able to put a guide together. I know I and I am sure many others out there would love to have a place like Elitist Jerks for STO, but a few guides here would be the next best thing. ^.^

Thanks for reading!

those people ruined world of ********. i hope that **** stays out of trek. being told how to level your class is silly
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThraxx
those people ruined world of ********. i hope that **** stays out of trek. being told how to level your class is silly
They don't tell you how to level.

They tell you how to squeeze every last bit of DPS or healing out of your character, and only for end-game play in raid environments.

The good thing is, they educate people who would otherwise play like morons, and to use WoW as an example you can almost always tell when a player has read up on their class mechanics and stat weights, because it shows in their performance.

The bad thing is, sites like Elitist Jerks help contribute to the culture of e-peen flexing. Again, a WoW example -- if you raid and all of your DPS are at or near, say 6k, does it really matter if one player did 26 more DPS than another player?

That causes heated arguments, wounds egos, causes people to play as individuals and not as a team, and ruins the fun of the game itself. So yeah, I tend to agree with you on this issue, except to say min'/maxing is going to be a fact of life in any MMO.

Also, to the OP -- it seems like the majority of those EJ pages are developed over the span of months and years and not usually by one player, but a team of dozens of people who contribute math, simulator logs, in-game test logs, data mining, etc. I would expect we'll see something similar for STO if and when there's a large amount of difficult end-game content to play through.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pattern_Jugglers View Post
They don't tell you how to level.

They tell you how to squeeze every last bit of DPS or healing out of your character, and only for end-game play in raid environments.

The good thing is, they educate people who would otherwise play like morons, and to use WoW as an example you can almost always tell when a player has read up on their class mechanics and stat weights, because it shows in their performance.

The bad thing is, sites like Elitist Jerks help contribute to the culture of e-peen flexing. Again, a WoW example -- if you raid and all of your DPS are at or near, say 6k, does it really matter if one player did 26 more DPS than another player?

That causes heated arguments, wounds egos, causes people to play as individuals and not as a team, and ruins the fun of the game itself. So yeah, I tend to agree with you on this issue, except to say min'/maxing is going to be a fact of life in any MMO.

Also, to the OP -- it seems like the majority of those EJ pages are developed over the span of months and years and not usually by one player, but a team of dozens of people who contribute math, simulator logs, in-game test logs, data mining, etc. I would expect we'll see something similar for STO if and when there's a large amount of difficult end-game content to play through.
have you actually seen wow. my roommate still plays raiding guilds read these elitist guys like the holy bible of gaming. if your not specced gemmed and slotted they way they say good luck ever doing anything in that game.

thanks but no thanks id rather not be told hold i Should level my engineer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Quote:
have you actually seen wow. my roommate still plays raiding guilds read these elitist guys like the holy bible of gaming. if your not specced gemmed and slotted they way they say good luck ever doing anything in that game.

thanks but no thanks id rather not be told hold i Should level my engineer.
yet you feel the need to say what race someone can play
how ironic dont you think
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qultar View Post
yet you feel the need to say what race someone can play
how ironic dont you think
are you trolling me? how cute. go home before i call the grammar police. and by the way it's super sex drive not supper. like in your last post.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Quote:
are you trolling me? how cute. go home before i call the grammar police. and by the way it's super sex drive not supper. like in your last post.
are you seriously trying to be a grammar nazi on the forums? eye's betz u doent lyke itz wen i spall tings lyke dis.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Class Mechanics
03-14-2010, 01:36 AM
I think that would be a very good idea if someone could do that. I dont think there is enough information about the different ways you can use the equipment. Or the different deflectors or consoles you can use in your ship.
As an example you can buy guide books for other games like call of duty. It does not tell you how to win when you play PvP. But it does tell you what you can do with the different kits.