Lt. Commander
# 11
03-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThraxx
have you actually seen wow. my roommate still plays raiding guilds read these elitist guys like the holy bible of gaming. if your not specced gemmed and slotted they way they say good luck ever doing anything in that game.

thanks but no thanks id rather not be told hold i Should level my engineer.
I played it until two months ago and yes, you have to be specced, gemmed and itemized correctly to be in a competent raid guild. That's exactly what I was talking about in my post.

Yet in itself that isn't so bad -- the problem, like I wrote, is that all that min-maxing leads to grown men getting into heated arguments on Ventrilo over retarded things like loot and position on the DPS meter. THAT ruins the fun of the game and it's a big reason why people view MMO players as petulant brats who go into hysterics over anything.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pattern_Jugglers View Post
I played it until two months ago and yes, you have to be specced, gemmed and itemized correctly to be in a competent raid guild. That's exactly what I was talking about in my post.

Yet in itself that isn't so bad -- the problem, like I wrote, is that all that min-maxing leads to grown men getting into heated arguments on Ventrilo over retarded things like loot and position on the DPS meter. THAT ruins the fun of the game and it's a big reason why people view MMO players as petulant brats who go into hysterics over anything.
Yes. And that is exactly why I finally gave up on WoW after having been there from CB to about 6 or 8 months ago. I got sick of having to get on Vent with just the people you describe. Hell, even my last GM, who I had once thought was a decent guy, turned out to be a Vent snob in the end. I left his guild the day he started raging at another guild we were co-raiding (and in the process of merging with, which didn't happen because of this incident) with when we wiped (this was just the last straw, not the only factor).
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
Yes. And that is exactly why I finally gave up on WoW after having been there from CB to about 6 or 8 months ago. I got sick of having to get on Vent with just the people you describe. Hell, even my last GM, who I had once thought was a decent guy, turned out to be a Vent snob in the end. I left his guild the day he started raging at another guild we were co-raiding (and in the process of merging with, which didn't happen because of this incident) with when we wiped (this was just the last straw, not the only factor).
Yep, this has been there, done that written all over it. One of the biggest reasons I left wow.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-14-2010, 03:19 PM
If - and it's a BIG it - STO ever gets serious end-game style raid content I would hope something like Elitist Jerks is around to simplify the minmaxing process for the casual gamer.

As for WoW no one is forcing you to do end-game raiding or to know your class minmaxing mechanics. But if you want to be in a 10/25 person group and do difficult content, I would hope you have the respect for your fellow gamers to go minmax your character properly. If you don't you shouldn't be doing end-game content.

Don't like epeen? Go play a game like checkers (or STO in it's current form) or find a non-epeen fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabasquaia View Post
If - and it's a BIG it - STO ever gets serious end-game style raid content I would hope something like Elitist Jerks is around to simplify the minmaxing process for the casual gamer.

As for WoW no one is forcing you to do end-game raiding or to know your class minmaxing mechanics. But if you want to be in a 10/25 person group and do difficult content, I would hope you have the respect for your fellow gamers to go minmax your character properly. If you don't you shouldn't be doing end-game content.

Don't like epeen? Go play a game like checkers (or STO in it's current form) or find a non-epeen fleet.
Holy crow I am agreeing with you for once!
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThraxx
have you actually seen wow. my roommate still plays raiding guilds read these elitist guys like the holy bible of gaming. if your not specced gemmed and slotted they way they say good luck ever doing anything in that game.
Your roommate needs to find better people to raid with then.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Holy crow I am agreeing with you for once!
Take deep breaths and it will pass.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-14-2010, 07:41 PM
EJ is a good tool when not taken to the extreme (just like any other tool) but unfortunately people have a tendency to do just that. This leads to the totalitarian cases of use this, spec this way, do this or take a walk guilds you see a lot of.

I will say that I do find humor in the complaints that sites like EJ lead to a lack of individualism in games. I find it humorous because people who want to perform well are naturally going to use what has been proven to work in order to perform.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Agreed. It is not EJ's fault for lack of individualism. It is the game devs' fault for not maiing a game where multiple methods have similar effectiveness.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
I hear ya man, I left for very similar reasons.

People who play WoW endgame are just miserable. That's what happens when you play 40+ hours a week, and your only motivation is to outgear or out-progress the other guy.