Lt. Commander
# 11
03-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwapook View Post
A Caitain is a furry.. Furry is a synonym for anthromorph.. Sonic the Hedgehog is a furry, Scrooge McDuck is a furry, Brian Griffin is a furry.. etc..

It's the prejudice behind the term furry that's the problem, not the term itself. Shouldn't call someone hateful for using the word furry, it's only hateful if they're thinking of furry as a negative thing. It's not a sexual term. You shouldn't lump everything furry as being something sexual.
isn't yiff the sexual term for furries?
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-14-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm all for ciatians, so long as they look like the ones from the movie, and don't look like "anime cat people"
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Quote:
A Caitain is a furry.. Furry is a synonym for anthromorph.. Sonic the Hedgehog is a furry, Scrooge McDuck is a furry, Brian Griffin is a furry.. etc..

It's the prejudice behind the term furry that's the problem, not the term itself. Shouldn't call someone hateful for using the word furry, it's only hateful if they're thinking of furry as a negative thing. It's not a sexual term. You shouldn't lump everything furry as being something sexual.
did not know that never saw the use till i came to STO
the only way i seen it used is hate on thous that like caitans
bet none of them played wing commander
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThraxx
isn't yiff the sexual term for furries?
yeaah.. I'm not that into the fandom, I do go to a convention each year with friends.. There is actually a lot of yiffy artwork there, but I still don't think it's right to judge everyone in the fandom as having some kind of sexual fetish for this stuff.

I mean think of it like someone being obsessed with Klingons or Vulcans.. They might dress up as one and/or create a vulcan/klingon persona for themselves.. Being a fan of a species isn't the same as being a fan of a show or character. There's a lot more daydreaming and roleplay involved.. Some people might take it somewhere sexual but it's not right to judge the whole fandom on that.

I'm goblin obsessed.. so I very much sympathize with the plight of the furries!!
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-14-2010, 01:19 AM
I played wing commander, and lvoed it, however the Kilrathi where evil bloody thirsty SOBs.

the people who will actually PLAY caitians however I forsee as being more like a girl who used to be in my internet gaming group, who had a... distrubing furry fetish. I'll admit to some bias there, however honestly I'd just rather cryptic work on includeing races that had more of an immediate impact then a race that appered in one episode of a cartoon.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-14-2010, 01:21 AM
Quote:
yeaah.. I'm not that into the fandom, I do go to a convention each year with friends.. There is actually a lot of yiffy artwork there, but I still don't think it's right to judge everyone in the fandom as having some kind of sexual fetish for this stuff.

I mean think of it like someone being obsessed with Klingons or Vulcans.. They might dress up as one and/or create a vulcan/klingon persona for themselves.. Being a fan of a species isn't the same as being a fan of a show or character. There's a lot more daydreaming and roleplay involved.. Some people might take it somewhere sexual but it's not right to judge the whole fandom on that.

I'm goblin obsessed.. so I very much sympathize with the plight of the furries!!
the differance between Klingon fans, vulcan fans etc, and furries is Klingons have a defined CULTURE, they have something going for em other then "people with cat ears and tails"
Lt. Commander
# 17 I know your feeling
03-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qultar View Post
did not know that never saw the use till i came to STO
the only way i seen it used is hate on thous that like caitans
bet none of them played wing commander
I know what you mean though it seems that certain individuals seem to be concerned not with acting in a mature manner, and they appear to display apparent a lack of intelligence. Some of their posts come close to violating the Terms of Service, as they are meant to cast a negative light on other players apparent lifestyles, and even draw conclusions on people due to their game-play choices. I really wish they were better than this but said individuals continue to post very abrasive comments about the other group of players and all they want is an added option, one that does fit with the series and is canon. An addition that can only add diversity. These individuals instead intend to drive a wedge into the player base further fracturing the game, and all for over-used cliches, misunderstandings, and a perceived moral high ground, where one would not be necessary or should even exist. In a game mind you, and some of these insults perpetrated against the apparent Pro-Caitian lobby, I repeat have been very derogatory, and being quite irritated at this, has compelled me to respond a fair amount of venom myself. To those who would say I was judgmental of the Anti-Caitian lobby, this would be less so if they weren't so busy casting the first stones, so-to-speak.

I will now start reporting particularly offensive posts, that more then usual seem out of bounds, and against the Terms of Service.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-14-2010, 01:29 AM
the race has been in many of the books
non canon yes but so is most info on the races
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
the differance between Klingon fans, vulcan fans etc, and furries is Klingons have a defined CULTURE, they have something going for em other then "people with cat ears and tails"
Eh.. People are into vampires much the same way.. There's also something called Zombie walks where a bunch of people go out dressed like zombies..

I'm not the only person to call themselves a goblin.(though I have never seen a gathering of such people, unless you count the band; Nekrogoblikon!) I've also heard of orcs, though I haven't researched them much!

I would agree culture is the main pull of people into Klingons..(or vulcans.. whatever!) Maybe it wasn't the best example!
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-14-2010, 01:33 AM
I find the inclusion of Caitians.. interesting but for entirely different reasons than others in this thread. Basically they come from TAS in the 70s when sci-fi author Larry Niven got involved. And what Niven did is took his Known Space series of novels and short stories and folded them into the ST universe. He even took one of his more famous short stories "The Soft Weapon" and rewrote it for TAS with ST characters. If this is considered "canon" by the staff it could open up a huge amount of Niven related content such as the Man-Kzin Wars, Slavers, Pak Protectors, Puppeteers heck even Ringworld could make a apperance. Might make for a interesting expansion one day