Lt. Commander
# 21
03-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilcat
I find the inclusion of Caitians.. interesting but for entirely different reasons than others in this thread. Basically they come from TAS in the 70s when sci-fi author Larry Niven got involved. And what Niven did is took his Known Space series of novels and short stories and folded them into the ST universe. He even took one of his more famous short stories "The Soft Weapon" and rewrote it for TAS with ST characters. If this is considered "canon" by the staff it could open up a huge amount of Niven related content such as the Man-Kzin Wars, Slavers, Pak Protectors, Puppeteers heck even Ringworld could make a apperance. Might make for a interesting expansion one day
Caitians were in TAS, that is true, but that is non-canon. They were also in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the Caitian in question was an Admiral who attended Kirk's Court-Marshal. And I agree with the sentiment, the more races, the better the diversity, essentially: " The more, the merrier."
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-14-2010, 01:37 AM
I support the inclusion of cat people. They were in a film and in the animated series and thats good enough for me!

They are also cool aliens and would entertain people, which are both good things for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-14-2010, 01:58 AM
As long as the Caitians look like they did in The Voyage Home, I wholeheartedly welcome them to the game with open arms

As for the folks hating on the Anthro community just for the heck of it: You're no better than the folks who pick on and look down on Trekkies such as myself. Plus, like it's been said before, not everybody who wants to play a Caitian is a Furry. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-14-2010, 03:40 AM
they will be like blood elves in WoW, most likely.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-14-2010, 03:45 AM
But the real reason people are questioning this is that there are SO MANY /far/ more canonically established races that actually have a well documented culture, biology and history.

Caitians have none of this, and appear only once, in one scene on film.

The many other races would be far easier for Cryptic to introduce, thus permitting much more variety and not tying up resources that could be much better used elsewhere.

And yet some people still rage for cat-people as if their exclusion is some kind of huge Trek oversight.

If Vulcans were missing, you'd have a right to gripe. Vulcans are central to the Star Trek experience. Caitians are central only to your desire to be a damn cat.
Lt. Commander
While they are not as prominent as the other races, they do have a pretty diverse fan-base, even one of the developers seems to like them. And if anything Cryptic needs to keep and eventually gain subscribers. As I have said before, I realize this, and as for me I would like to see Romulans myself, now that there are good relations going with some colonies in former Romulan space, this gives a good possibility for just being able to roll one for Federation while I wait for the faction.

But I do not mind them getting Caitians, when you think about it there really is no issue, and if this game survives, they will (hopefully) have added and even plan to add 100s even thousands more races of varying diversity. We might see the Tholians and the Hydrans as well, and the list could certainly go on. An addition of a race like the Caitians would be popular, and it might draw subscribers to the game. And it is only one of a hundred. So add them, add them all, the more the merrier.

The Caitians themselves are quite documented as well, for being so rare. And as I have said they have a strong fan base.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-14-2010, 04:27 AM
I think all characters should look like me! He He!
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Bendy head?

Meh, it's cat people. Don't really care one way or the other.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-14-2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IV4N_R4D3K
Caitians were in TAS, that is true, but that is non-canon. They were also in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the Caitian in question was an Admiral who attended Kirk's Court-Marshal. And I agree with the sentiment, the more races, the better the diversity, essentially: " The more, the merrier."
Not anymore. TAS has been deemed canon by CBS Paramount, albeit as a marketing stunt more than anything else.

As for the OP's fears, given that there will be a microtransaction cost involved that will limit the numbers of Caitians popping up. Besides i'm more concerned with Starfleet's influx of Pakleds.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-14-2010, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Arac
But the real reason people are questioning this is that there are SO MANY /far/ more canonically established races that actually have a well documented culture, biology and history.

Caitians have none of this, and appear only once, in one scene on film.

The many other races would be far easier for Cryptic to introduce, thus permitting much more variety and not tying up resources that could be much better used elsewhere.

And yet some people still rage for cat-people as if their exclusion is some kind of huge Trek oversight.

If Vulcans were missing, you'd have a right to gripe. Vulcans are central to the Star Trek experience. Caitians are central only to your desire to be a damn cat.
100 % agreed.

I demand Breen. Stop discriminating people that want Breen more than cat people. Breen, though rarely seen, had a major impact on the history of the quadrant AND are easier to add because they all look the same.

GO, BREEN, GO!