Lt. Commander
I'm trying to figure out what the best is in ground combat for a science officers as in kit, weapon, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I use the Bioresearcher kit, a Pule Rifle, and a Split Beam rifle. This may or may not change with the 45 day patch, we shall see...

As science you want to try and maximize you exposes then capitalize on them with the Split Beam rifle. One on one I usually open with Stasis Field and then drop as many expose chance abilities as I can on the player. If none of the abilities proc an expose, then I use the pulse rifle on them and switch to the Split Beam for a shot...you can save the Split Beam if you want for the next cycle of expose chance abilities, but it usually doesn't hurt to put a dent in their health and just battle it out.

When against a group, I put Stasis on a player that is off to the side and not likely to get hit by a stray shot. I then unload my aoe expose chance abilities on the mass and hope for the best. Always be sure to fire the Pulse Rifle or other expose weapon first to either soften up the targets or open up more exposes. Also, be sure to focus a target that at least one other player on your team is targeting.

If you are alone, then I suggest backpedaling a lot and throwing expose abilities. When one procs, drop down to one knee (if you are outside of melee range of enemies) and try and pop the player you exposed, then quickly get back to moving. Sometimes you will have to leave an exposed target behind because the other players might be too close for comfort. Tachyon Harmonic is a great ability for knocking away close enemies and buying some time though. If you feel you have the time, feel free to shoot off your expose weapon at the oncoming players to try and get a lucky proc. If the enemy has roots though...well, good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Bioresearcher and Geophysicist are my favorites PvP kits when playing my science officer.

Bioresearcher allows you to stack countless expose attacks on your foes and is especially good for his short cooldown AoE expose (Tachyon Harmonics).

Geophysicist is all about the root and AoE DoT, but I'm not a fan of its long cooldowns.

As for the weapons, you can't go wrong with Split Beam and Pulse Wave Rifles.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firael
I'm trying to figure out what the best is in ground combat for a science officers as in kit, weapon, etc.
I'll give you a hint -

Stasis Field - Exploit Move / One Shot

Oh yeah and if you don't expose them with Stasis Field - take your time and use all the other exposes that don't inflict damage.

You'll get it before the hold wears off.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-14-2010, 11:33 PM
if you haven't made the science toon yet, i suggest a ground trait (telepathy/acute senses) or any of the spieces that will allow you to see stealth. This will allow you to see tacticals coming for you miles away in their operative kits. Also will be +++ for the blue team, as the usual PUG has no players able to see stealth.

Just remember tacticals are not the only class out there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-15-2010, 03:10 AM
Medic kit, end of story.

You go do "Infected" without a medic, and people will say get lost

Of course, if you got 2 science officer on your team, see answers above.

As for the species, go Trill. Natural resistances.

No matter how much skills you got, someone snipe you from cloak in your back and nothing you got will help you if you can't resist the attack.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-15-2010, 04:30 AM
I use Xenobiologist and am happy with it, since it has both stasis field and heal.

For weapons I have an expose and an exploit weapon of course. Most times stun pistol and sniper rife, at the moment trying the combo repulse rifle and splitbeam.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks Everyone, good advice