Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
You can also click the 'Thread Tools' button at the top right and click the option for a printer friendly version.
(It will likely save you a ton of ink)
Thanks Jonathan!

Lt. Grace
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
You can also click the 'Thread Tools' button at the top right and click the option for a printer friendly version.
(It will likely save you a ton of ink)


Hey that's a new one on me. I just highlight, and print selection, but I wasn't going to get into that with someone who (no offense) does not seem too computer savvy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanCD View Post
Hey that's a new one on me. I just highlight, and print selection, but I wasn't going to get into that with someone who (no offense) does not seem too computer savvy.
No offense taken - I am a newbie compared to my gaming peers.

Lt. Grace
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Have you ever considered trying to get this brilliant young man a job at a comic/card/papergame shop?
The reason I bring this up, is that all of the cards/comics/game books etc all have regimented values, must be categorized in a set order, and the shops are always set up very statically, and in a set order.

I think this would be the ideal kind of environment for someone with your friend's abilities, because each day would contain a lot of structure, and routine. Yet it would still be in a fun and open environment that might let him improve socially to the degree that an autistic patient could.

Alternately, he could try being a librarian. Although it isn't the most exciting or thought provoking job out there, it still contains the type of organization and routine autistic patients tend to favor.

that's my two cents anyway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl1919 View Post
Have you ever considered trying to get this brilliant young man a job at a comic/card/papergame shop?
The reason I bring this up, is that all of the cards/comics/game books etc all have regimented values, must be categorized in a set order, and the shops are always set up very statically, and in a set order.

I think this would be the ideal kind of environment for someone with your friend's abilities, because each day would contain a lot of structure, and routine. Yet it would still be in a fun and open environment that might let him improve socially to the degree that an autistic patient could.

Alternately, he could try being a librarian. Although it isn't the most exciting or thought provoking job out there, it still contains the type of organization and routine autistic patients tend to favor.

that's my two cents anyway.
More "out of the box" thinking! While he is not ready for a retail or "helping role" like a librarian, these more regimented jobs are a good start. Thank you!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinwu_one View Post
More "out of the box" thinking! While he is not ready for a retail or "helping role" like a librarian, these more regimented jobs are a good start. Thank you!
Remember too, that it will be well known to any potential employers that he is in fact, autistic. His ability to do mathematics and categorization at double genius speeds would mean he would be more valuable to any organization keeping everything where it needed to be, and priced correctly, and organized; than as an actual customer service employee that ran a register or helped customers.

I guess I'm speaking purely out of the sense that I've only ever worked retail while trying to pay my way through life. The other ideas in this thread are much more grand, and probably fit his genius level intellect better than what I've come up with.

But, you'd be surprised what somebody with that amount of mathematical ability could accomplish in a categorization and book keeping role.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanCD View Post
I dont know if he has good memorization and spelling skills, but if he does...........MEDICAL CODING is where that boy needs to be.

He can work from home, by listening to (or reading) Drs and coding their procedures for billing. Aka Doc says "chest xray" would translate to (Completely made up here) 10-5-6. 10 for chest, 5 for lungs, 6 for x-ray. The only thing about it is he would need to memorize some hard medical terms and remember how to SPELL them properly.
Generating the actual billing codes may not be the best thing as there is quite a bit of interpretation that goes into the process at times. He probably would be able to do something like entering the billing codes from the billing sheets into their billing program. Some people with autism can memorize large amounts of information but have problems applying that iinformation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
What keeps him the most interested and focused, is beating a game/system - finding the flaws and probability aspects. However, attaching a paycheck to the idea of some of these jobs might entice him to focus on it. He loves to go to Disneyland and no doubt would like to spend some money there without having to ask his Mom to pay for it.

Lt. Grace
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl1919 View Post
Remember too, that it will be well known to any potential employers that he is in fact, autistic. His ability to do mathematics and categorization at double genius speeds would mean he would be more valuable to any organization keeping everything where it needed to be, and priced correctly, and organized; than as an actual customer service employee that ran a register or helped customers.

I guess I'm speaking purely out of the sense that I've only ever worked retail while trying to pay my way through life. The other ideas in this thread are much more grand, and probably fit his genius level intellect better than what I've come up with.

But, you'd be surprised what somebody with that amount of mathematical ability could accomplish in a categorization and book keeping role.
I don't think Grand is even in the thoughts of these parents. A job that their son will stay interested in, can be accepted in and allows income and a continued progression in being out in the world would be a dream come true.

I am submitting all of these ideas to them, as they have to start somewhere.

Lt. Grace
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinwu_one View Post
I don't think Grand is even in the thoughts of these parents. A job that their son will stay interested in, can be accepted in and allows income and a continued progression in being out in the world would be a dream come true.

I am submitting all of these ideas to them, as they have to start somewhere.

Lt. Grace
Shoot me a PM and keep me updated, I always like to help if I can.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:35 AM.