Lt. Commander
# 1 AI or Pathfinding fail?
03-14-2010, 08:43 PM
So I'm doing a mission (cage of fire) which involves bridges over lava pits and every chance my Boffs get to jump into the lava they proceed to do it. Needless to say I am lucky to have the occasional captain ability security team to help with groups because I don't have conscious Boffs.

Like my theory on poor coding, pathfinding needs a major overhaul (or AI or if they're the same cool).

I just hate how the higher in rank I get the more I see poor or cheap coding (i.e. borrowed heavily). Reminds me of doing a class project which takes months to do get crammed into a all night last minute session and the lack of quality shows.

I apologize I don't want to rant but at the same time I am annoyed by crazy acting BoFFs. Anyone else having similar problems? what are you doing to avoid them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-14-2010, 08:47 PM
That mission is quite notorious for it. Best idea is to set waypoints for your team in straight lines, if you let them just run around following you, they'll jump all over the place and it'll be even worse when they scatter to engage in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-14-2010, 08:47 PM
They have finally ajusted the pathing on Tribble. I remember when I did that mission... horrible way to end the Cardassian missions.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Cage of Fire's kind of a special case for BO pathing because of the instadeath areas that they can walk straight into. Bug it each time it happens, they're smoothing the problems out one by one.

Interestingly, STO's pathfinding for BOs is actually one of the better pathing AIs I've seen. The "follow" AI still struggles with getting around some obstacles near doors, but you can use waypoints to get around that easily (and using waypoints for Cage of Fire also gets rid of any problems, too.) WoW and LOTRO both have significantly worse pet pathing. (Oh man, I still remember wiping a LBRS raid on my hunter by jumping down off that ledge before I had dismissed my pet. Ooops.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariosto View Post
WoW and LOTRO both have significantly worse pet pathing. (Oh man, I still remember wiping a LBRS raid on my hunter by jumping down off that ledge before I had dismissed my pet. Ooops.)

Oh man I feel your pain. Been there done that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-14-2010, 09:19 PM
It's good to know it's getting worked on.

I had a somewhat humorous screenie of one of my unconscious BoFFs giving me an mission update but forgot to enable the ui so nothing is shown for that.