Lt. Commander
# 11
03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
rofl, thats awesome, you can ignore a player in game, and it completely ignores them on these forums...SO SWEEET. I only say this because a poster on this thread is on my ****** list for 1 reason or another.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
So why do people play any games?

I don't get any prizes for winning a round of Team Fortress 2.
I don't get purple loot for winning a match of Starcraft.

If it's fun, you'll play it regardless of rewards.
If it not fun, you shouldn't play it just because you get some purple piece of loot.

Rewards can be nice and they do help provide a sense of investment but if that's the main reason you play these games then I think you need to step back and re-examine your entertainment options.

Maybe this is where the MMORPG industry is failing. They need to understand that the purpose of rewards is to provide a sense of investment to people who are already enjoying the game. If loot is being used as a substitute for good gameplay, then the game is only going to last as long as the loot keeps coming.

Personally I have thousands of T5 PvP medals. I have no use for them. I never cared about the daily rewards (my skill points are all in Disruptors, so the purple loots don't do much for me). I still played tons of matches just because it was fun. Apparently I am one of the few people who actually enjoys STO gameplay because I don't care about the loot and I play anyway.

So the real question is not, "where are the rewards".

The real question is, "why isn't the gameplay good enough that people will just play for fun?" What makes gameplay so dull that people are only playing it for the purple loots?
Ask Blizzard

That being said, I agree wit you completelly, but I am afraid we maybe in a minority here. Most people are simply Reward Driven, and many more have been made in to being that way with "habits" instilled to them by that "other" game, or simply by society itself "What is in it for me?" is a question almost everyone asks in everything they do in life, the problem is that in this case the answer should be "fun", and that "other" game has replaced it with its own answer "Epics".

It is sad to see as a behavior in a game, it is even more sad to see games focusing on rewards as a replacement for fun.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-16-2010, 01:15 AM
The queue system is def. broken because most games I have been in any tier not just admiral have one side with a major numbers advantage over the other for long enough that there is no winning for the other side. And yes oddly enough at admiral rank I am usually getting into a game 1-3 fed(my team) vs 5-7 klingons for a long enough time that there is no hope for the feds. I refuse to believe it is people hitting snooze or just not noticing or being afk when it happens so much and there are so many people in the queue.
Another problem I see is federation players just fighting in the area right in front of the star base...... and the game ends rather quickly.
Don't go to ra5 then start to pvp....make a new guy and mess around with him in pvp for a while....learn the basics because apparently you arent just making your own team mates mad but the few klingons who actually want a fight

In fact I was just in a game, right when I joined so did 4 other feds. 5 federation ships vs 1 klingon but heres the good part. Somehow this klingon had this game to themselves long enough that they capped all 5 bases and had the score 1200 to 800 by the time the 5 of us joined.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-16-2010, 01:39 AM
PvP Ques are most definatly borked. I play PvP for fun, dont care about rewards (tho i do like to see my name at the top of the charts ) but thats just about winning rather than rewards.

The unbalanced teams thing really bugs me aswell, i like a good fight. Not outnumbering some poor Klink who is on his own agaisnt 5 feds. That is not fun to me, and i feel so sorry for the poor buggers who get gang ***** like that. That being said, kudos to the klinks who stick to and fight till the end, balls of solid rock

The best games are when its so close all the way to the end of the match that its anybodies guess as to who is going to win, those are the games i play for!
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
So why do people play any games?

I don't get any prizes for winning a round of Team Fortress 2.
I don't get purple loot for winning a match of Starcraft.

If it's fun, you'll play it regardless of rewards.
If it not fun, you shouldn't play it just because you get some purple piece of loot.

Rewards can be nice and they do help provide a sense of investment but if that's the main reason you play these games then I think you need to step back and re-examine your entertainment options.

Maybe this is where the MMORPG industry is failing. They need to understand that the purpose of rewards is to provide a sense of investment to people who are already enjoying the game. If loot is being used as a substitute for good gameplay, then the game is only going to last as long as the loot keeps coming.

Personally I have thousands of T5 PvP medals. I have no use for them. I never cared about the daily rewards (my skill points are all in Disruptors, so the purple loots don't do much for me). I still played tons of matches just because it was fun. Apparently I am one of the few people who actually enjoys STO gameplay because I don't care about the loot and I play anyway.

So the real question is not, "where are the rewards".

The real question is, "why isn't the gameplay good enough that people will just play for fun?" What makes gameplay so dull that people are only playing it for the purple loots?
Well if you like FPS most then its understandable. Team Fortress, Quake etc. are surely great games, for people who like that type of game. For me the most entertaining games are RPGs, that means leveling up, getting better items, having some story etc. - of course combat is important to me as well, but its not the only thing I expect. So when I play MMO I want it to be RPG mainly, this means also having rewards for actions. So I like leveling up for example much more than playing endgame character without getting anything. Thats why I made second char after reaching RA5 with first one - because simply there was nothing more to achieve with RA5 (if you dont count dailies that last only for a while). Its all about what people like and most MMOs are not FPS multiplayer really.

So gameplay is fun, but different people can have different opinion on what is good gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-16-2010, 06:47 AM
I havent really been playing the past few days due to the work schedule at work. But, I did get some time to read the forums a bit and noticed one that stuck out to me. It was a 1v1 thread that made alot of sense to me. Granted I dont think it would happen, but maybe a faction 1v1 option where its fed vs fed 1v1 and klink vs klink 1v1 with a very small reward system that scales to it. I think its 23 medals for a regular 5v5, so maybe 2 medals for a 1v1 to help limit how many people do this. It could work, but at the same time probably wont.

On a side note I would like to ask everyone that is in a match not to let themselves get farmed. Fight, because that is the only way you will get experience and learn how to do something when the time comes.