Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3451

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3638

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3638

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3584

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3584

Buffs/debuffs interface - Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
# 1 Buffs/debuffs interface
03-15-2010, 12:50 PM
The current display of buffs and debuffs needs some love. The icons are too small to read; we need to be able to tell what they are at a glance, not by mousing over and reading the tooltips. A lot of buff/debuff icons are generic; they need to have their icons copied from the powers that apply them. We also need somewhere we can look to see all of the effects on our character/ship; these often show up as a visual effect with no text anywhere. (You don't know how many times I've answered questions about "What's the purple spinning clock that sends all of my recharge timers into next week??")
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Do you mean...

-- "Oh, my ship is all purple and stuff.. I can't do anything... Where the hell is the debuff bar.. What the hell was that"??
-- "That guy is shooting blue beams at me, those look cool.. wait.. I'm dead.. what?" (FBP)
-- "My ship is growing yellow fungi and I'm losing hull hit points.. is that a Fire?"

In STO you can have 5 debuffs on your and not even know according to your UI. You can also trigger events (see: Feedback Pulse) without knowing what the heck is going on.

Add debuff callouts in their own area (maybe this could be incorporated into the existing UI). Add it to the place where you re-direct shields. Example, if VM was put on your ship, the ship graphic inside the shield redirection area flashes purple (color of VM) and "Viral Matrix" is displayed somewhere for its duration. The reason? When I'm getting shot by 3 guys I can't always see the color of my actual ship. I can assume I've been VM'd but I'd like to know for sure. Knowing what's happening to you in PVP is half the battle.. once you know, you can learn how to avoid or counter it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Another reason why buff/debuff interfaces for both ourselves and enemies, in space and on the ground, are important is because it can often be difficult to tell when a buff is going to end. If I hit Rotate Shield Frequencies or Reroute Power to Shields, it recharges my shields and then puts a buff on them for the power's duration. How do I know when that buff is gone? Should I be counting in my head? Some abilities have an "Ability is fading" animation to let you know, but many do not.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherp View Post
Another reason why buff/debuff interfaces for both ourselves and enemies, in space and on the ground, are important is because it can often be difficult to tell when a buff is going to end. If I hit Rotate Shield Frequencies or Reroute Power to Shields, it recharges my shields and then puts a buff on them for the power's duration. How do I know when that buff is gone? Should I be counting in my head? Some abilities have an "Ability is fading" animation to let you know, but many do not.
Actually, there is a place right above your ship icon (where you redirect shields) where buffs show up. They also have timers on them, but are super small.... Would be nice if the size were increased and the tooltip gave you some information. I'm pretty sure this area shows buffs recieved from others as well.

On the other hand, I've never seen debuffs show up anywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugal317 View Post
Actually, there is a place right above your ship icon (where you redirect shields) where buffs show up. They also have timers on them, but are super small.... Would be nice if the size were increased and the tooltip gave you some information. I'm pretty sure this area shows buffs recieved from others as well.

On the other hand, I've never seen debuffs show up anywhere.
Some of them show up there, but many do not. If there is an effect on my ship, I want to know about it, and not just via graphical effect. That area needs to be comprehensive, and the icons need to be large enough to read at a glance.

Edit: This is especially important against the Borg. The Borg have attacks which players cannot duplicate; we cannot effectively defend against those attacks if all we have is an animation to go by. We need readouts telling us which of our ship's systems are being affected and in what way, at minimum.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherp View Post
Some of them show up there, but many do not. If there is an effect on my ship, I want to know about it, and not just via graphical effect. That area needs to be comprehensive, and the icons need to be large enough to read at a glance.

Edit: This is especially important against the Borg. The Borg have attacks which players cannot duplicate; we cannot effectively defend against those attacks if all we have is an animation to go by. We need readouts telling us which of our ship's systems are being affected and in what way, at minimum.
Bumped! I support these ideas and would like them implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Yes, this definately must be done.
Lt. Commander
What I'd like to see would be some sort of Damage Control Board...something showing us what debuffs have hit and how much longer they're going to be on. Doesn't have to be a huge thing, just a little window off to the side with reports from the damage control crew about what's messing with the systems right now.

It would also help you determine the correct countermeasure...I mean, I know that Hazard Emitters is supposed to purge "hazard"-type debuffs, but how do you know if what you have is a hazard debuff or not? IS there any hazard debuff other than plasma fire?

If nothing else, it'd give you a way to tell which systems your enemy just targeted with a skill; get hit with a "Beam target X" skill, where X is the given system, but miss the brief flash of graphic showing what you've been inflicted with? Well, the damage control board could read that weapons are working at half capacity, or shield regen is down, etc. This would've been particularly useful to me lately when Orion fighters started shooting at me with "Beam Target Propulsion Navigation Systems", a power I didn't even know existed...just suddenly I couldn't turn and was flying full speed in a straight line. The only way I found out what was going on was by going back and looking through the Combat log... x_x

Anyhoo, just an idea of how to handle the debuff listing. And having damage control reports even fits in perfectly with Star Trek canon...

-Kunou
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-13-2010, 12:39 PM
just wanted to re-bump this thread so it doesnt get forgotten. I think we need more input and some dev responses on this. thanks
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
I definitely agree something needs to be done. Having to mouse over a small icon, if an icon shows up at all, to see what is going on isn't really adequate.

The way timers are handled for our and our bridge officer's abilities seems to work fine. Adding a buff/debuff tray of those same icons and timers (at the same size as ours) that appears only when we're being affected makes sense to me.

Consistency is key in my opinion. I wouldn't display our abilities/timers one way and the enemy's another, just make them all the same so no matter who they represent you know what you're looking at.

PS: so that's what that purple clock effect means. I had no idea.