Lt. Commander
# 21
03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Ugh... I think somehow you quoted someone else instead of me. Anyway, yes, I know what you mean and that's how I've been used to playing City of Heroes across several max-level characters. I haven't played WoW before this mechanism was introduced, but essentially, in a game where most people don't even use local-chat, it sometimes feels too much to expect them to use team-chat, you know?

Honestly, if everyone knows the mechanics of the fights, why talk at all? If I'm on my engineer, I'm setting up the doors. If I'm on my science officer, I'm in the back, messing up borg as they come in. If I'm on my tactical, I'm either lead puller or I'm in the back murderizing. Again, not rocket science, everyone has a job and the jobs are pretty clear. Typically I assume the party leader is the puller unless they say otherwise.

Quote:
Also, I'm not one of those people who'd bother with VoIP (i.e. Vent, TS and other solutions) to ensure a tactical advantage for my group, but for crying out loud, the one and only group I've been in that went through Infected wasn't well organized, mostly because people didn't listen and the "Commander" wasn't properly using tactics or strategy.
In the huge raid fights in WoW, the complex ones that requires a lot of coordination, VOIP was invaluable. But compared to the big WoW fights, STO's fights were written out in crayon. I've never been in an STO situation where I felt VOIP was even remotely necessary. I count out "3, 2, 1" in /team and we hit the consoles. Vent/TS often has a 5 sec lag, /team has no lag at all, it's easier and better.

I honestly use VOIP to meet new folks and get to know them, socially, while we raid Chatting about where each other is from, family stuff, etc, while everyone does their job.

It is inane to assume that someone who has VOIP will listen or be a better raider because of it. It just means they know how to download a client. I sat in VOIP while someone TOLD me the stupid crap they were going to do. And when I said "You know, there's a lot easier way", they said "this is how I do it", and the promptly pulled 40 borg on us and wiped us, then said "Yeah, but I got the node".
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-16-2010, 10:11 AM
BTW, this thread is not about bashing Cryptic or it's raids. Infected is the first real "end game" content Cryptic has ever done, in a game that's only a couple of months old. I enjoy it and look forward to the other stuff that's coming out. I'm a lifer, so I'm here for the long run.

This post is about bashing players who make an easy fight hard and waste my time and the time of of other folks by just not paying attention.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collision View Post
Currently the shield bug is killing my fun. Do you have any suggestions on how NOT to get stuck behind the shield after the virus is uploaded?
This seems to happen when 2 people try to upload the virus. Try designating one person in the group to do the upload and this should go away.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlrny View Post
This seems to happen when 2 people try to upload the virus. Try designating one person in the group to do the upload and this should go away.
That may be why, then, as I always make sure we have 1 person doing it. I guess that would make sense, if 2 are trying, 1 finishes early and the other is still standing there doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallen View Post
That may be why, then, as I always make sure we have 1 person doing it. I guess that would make sense, if 2 are trying, 1 finishes early and the other is still standing there doing it.
I've read in other threads about not clicking twice and last night when I clicked one I felt like it didn't go off properly and clicked again and sure enough it brought the shield right back up on me. I didn't get stuck in it because i rolled backwards, but I think uploading multiple times is part of the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Tried this mission for the first time today. You are right Mac. I did'nt have clue at first. But was picking it up from 1 or 2 guys who had done it. We got a fair way thru with just a few respawns, then a problem at home meant i had to log off. I hated letting those guys down. Gonna try it again t'nite if i can find a team. The problem for first timer with a group of "veterans" (for want of a better word) is that you don't want to let anybody down
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Honestly, if everyone knows the mechanics of the fights, why talk at all?
That's the level of communication I have with my All Kheldian Supergroup in City of Heroes, we each know how to work with one-another and our tactics include awesome power combinations that leave the enemy overwhelmed.

Quote:
...I count out "3, 2, 1" in /team and we hit the consoles.
You know, it's funny you mentioned the counting because when our "Commander" tried to do the countdown, it never worked. When I took over, for some reason, it worked on the first try, and I swear I did nothing to deliberately sabotage our previous efforts before I took over countdown duties.

Quote:
It is inane to assume that someone who has VOIP will listen or be a better raider because of it. It just means they know how to download a client. I sat in VOIP while someone TOLD me the stupid crap they were going to do. And when I said "You know, there's a lot easier way", they said "this is how I do it", and the promptly pulled 40 borg on us and wiped us, then said "Yeah, but I got the node".
Yeah... perhaps that was our "Commander", sure sounds like it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
I count out "3, 2, 1" in /team and we hit the consoles. Vent/TS often has a 5 sec lag, /team has no lag at all, it's easier and better.
We don't even bother counting down any more. Guy in the middle starts, if you're one of the outside clickers look at the middle guy. When you either see him typing or hear the typing sound, you click. There's enough forgiveness in the timer to do this easily - no voice chat, no typing.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Sorry, I'm still chuckling at the it takes about 2 hours to do the quest . Damping field on the queen will help your fight a bit more . Have Tacts use Tact initiative also helps since you can spawn multiple away support teams ,and resets the timers on your special abilities , if you're in range . Having 2 members with enough firepower to clear the next corner you plan on go to , will speed things up . Lastly 2 people running nothing but expose weapons , and 2 running nothing but exploit weapons with hasten your pace a bit as well. Equipment is a big deal to do this properly , but in a pug you can't control that aspect of it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
Sorry, I'm still chuckling at the it takes about 2 hours to do the quest . Damping field on the queen will help your fight a bit more . Have Tacts use Tact initiative also helps since you can spawn multiple away support teams ,and resets the timers on your special abilities , if you're in range . Having 2 members with enough firepower to clear the next corner you plan on go to , will speed things up . Lastly 2 people running nothing but expose weapons , and 2 running nothing but exploit weapons with hasten your pace a bit as well. Equipment is a big deal to do this properly , but in a pug you can't control that aspect of it.
Chuckle away, an Admiral's gotta do what an Admiral's gotta do I sit LFG and, if I can't get a slot on the toon I want to play, I swap around to something that's needed (usually science). My tac has seen the least # of runs, because there's so darn many of them, no one really needs a tac.

BTW, the queen fight takes 4 minutes, on a decent run, 8 on a bad one. Soup-to-nuts it's the trash that takes the longest. I consider 2 hours a good run.

And equipment is garbage. I've seen folks in all purples take forever and fail, and guys in all blues blow the queen down in 4 minutes. Equipment can make a good player better, but it can't make a bad player good like it can in games like Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus
We don't even bother counting down any more. Guy in the middle starts, if you're one of the outside clickers look at the middle guy. When you either see him typing or hear the typing sound, you click. There's enough forgiveness in the timer to do this easily - no voice chat, no typing.
True.