Lt. Commander
# 31
03-16-2010, 01:14 PM
By equipment , I meant shields , armor and kits. Weapons are a factor Polaron seem to do a better job ( at least for a Tact ) . My weapons are I Green / Blue Polarons that dropped with the zone . They have a weapons malfuntion ability .
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
By equipment , I meant shields , armor and kits. Weapons are a factor Polaron seem to do a better job ( at least for a Tact ) . My weapons are I Green / Blue Polarons that dropped with the zone . They have a weapons malfuntion ability .
I know what you meant. Sore subject for me. Last night, I was in this PuG where everyone was linking their awesome purple epix and talking about how awesome they were. We engaged the group in the hall, and a tac ran ahead to take out the next node, agroing the pat. Before we knew it, there were 40+ borg on us. We wiped...well, they wiped, I backed to the barricade and killed borg, since that's where they were going anyway.

Next room, one tac hits the far node, one hits the near node, one pulls the pat, all at once. Wipe again.

Epix != Skill was my point.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
The problem lies at cryptics door unfortunatly.

Thet made a mmo that from level 1 to level 44.9 can be done not only solo but by respawn zerging even part of a mission.

Now for experianced mmo gamers dumbing down to grind those missions out and falling back to teamwork and tactics for infected is easy.

But imagine your new to mmo's and your just a tek fan, you spend wks and wks learning very little that is gonna help you be fully effective in the raids, infact your growth as a gamer has been stunted by absurdly easy content and easy outs from parts they may have found challenging.

Them wallop they are hit in the face with content that requires teamwork, cannot be respawn/zerged and needs a little bit of researching (i know ONLY a little but still some) and tactics and they are utterly unprepared for it.

Personally i think cryptic should have left LEVELS 1-10 as they are, 10-20 set a little harder and have mission where 2 ppl were a big benifit, 20-30 a bit harder and 3 ppl would be helpful and 30-40 harder still with 4 ppl or so required or at least making things easier, that way as soon as the inexperianced gamers hit admiral they are semi preped for raid content.

As it is they hit maturity utterly unprepared for the things they will find in the raids but experianced gamers cruise through and consider simple by comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collision View Post
Never played WoW. I'm an adult, not a 13-year-old.

I fail to see how "tactical mechanics" is going to solve an issue of a bugged shield.

You're telling me you do this two or three times a day, and you never have anyone get stuck behind any of those outside shields?
Just have all 3 of the ppl lowering the shields try and upload the virus, it reduces the chance that one player will get trapped by being a bit slow at uploading it if all 3 do it.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallen View Post

BTW, the queen fight takes 4 minutes, on a decent run, 8 on a bad one. Soup-to-nuts it's the trash that takes the longest. I consider 2 hours a good run.
2 hours without a player needing to respawn on any part is a ok run, under 1hr 30 mins with no player needing to restart on any part is what i consider a good run.:p
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor_Dahar_Master View Post
The problem lies at cryptics door unfortunatly.

Thet made a mmo that from level 1 to level 44.9 can be done not only solo but by respawn zerging even part of a mission.

Now for experianced mmo gamers dumbing down to grind those missions out and falling back to teamwork and tactics for infected is easy.

But imagine your new to mmo's and your just a tek fan, you spend wks and wks learning very little that is gonna help you be fully effective in the raids, infact your growth as a gamer has been stunted by absurdly easy content and easy outs from parts they may have found challenging.

Them wallop they are hit in the face with content that requires teamwork, cannot be respawn/zerged and needs a little bit of researching (i know ONLY a little but still some) and tactics and they are utterly unprepared for it.

Personally i think cryptic should have left LEVELS 1-10 as they are, 10-20 set a little harder and have mission where 2 ppl were a big benifit, 20-30 a bit harder and 3 ppl would be helpful and 30-40 harder still with 4 ppl or so required or at least making things easier, that way as soon as the inexperianced gamers hit admiral they are semi preped for raid content.

As it is they hit maturity utterly unprepared for the things they will find in the raids but experianced gamers cruise through and consider simple by comparison.
I'm going to respectfully disagree...no matter how Cryptic designed the game, there would be idiots in it, doing the things I'm whining about. Not only that, but any change Cryptic made would only make the idiots be more of an impact.

No MMO can be foolproof, because fools are ingenious. I'm not saying Cryptic could have done things differently, but the problems I'm talking about in this thread are things any one from any MMO should be able to handle. There's nothing about these encounters that are hard, except for the parts that people MAKE hard by deliberately remaining ignorant.

And research? What research is needed beyond just watching what happens? The problem is when people assume they know when they don't, and doing it the same way every time because they got lucky once.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
2 hours without a player needing to respawn on any part is a ok run, under 1hr 30 mins with no player needing to restart on any part is what i consider a good run.:p
Assuming no one bugs, crashes, or doesn't get credit at the capt and bails
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree...no matter how Cryptic designed the game, there would be idiots in it, doing the things I'm whining about. Not only that, but any change Cryptic made would only make the idiots be more of an impact..
There will always be idiots but you can lessen qty by slowly educating those who are able to learn as they progress through the games levels.

Quote:
No MMO can be foolproof, because fools are ingenious. I'm not saying Cryptic could have done things differently, but the problems I'm talking about in this thread are things any one from any MMO should be able to handle. There's nothing about these encounters that are hard, except for the parts that people MAKE hard by deliberately remaining ignorant...
STO is not a normal MMO, a lot of the ppl who join it are trek fans with no mmo experiance and while i have played many mmo's and can easily dumb down to sto level, a unexperianced player with no prior xp in team work ect will feel overwhelmed by infected because the prior content did not prepare them.

Quote:
And research? What research is needed beyond just watching what happens? The problem is when people assume they know when they don't, and doing it the same way every time because they got lucky once.
The mission is doable in under 1.5 hours, with no respawns at any part of it, id say that is about as fast as it can be done if you wish to score a flawless victory. Now that is my best run and i have repeated it a few times but if a saw a player saying it could be done flawlessly in a hour i would ask how and learn.

That is what i consider research at the point i am at for infected.

Right now i am spending time on tribble (when i can) researching tactics for "the cure".
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
There will always be idiots but you can lessen qty by slowly educating those who are able to learn as they progress through the games levels.
Lol, idiots never learn

Quote:
STO is not a normal MMO ppl who join it are trek fans with no mmo experiance and while i have played many mmo and can easily dumb down to sto level, a unexperianced player with no prior xp in team work ect will feel overwhelmed by infected because the prior content did not prepare them.
That logic works great until you realize that, prior to WoW, the domestic MMO market was roughly 750k people. The *VAST* majority of the millions playing Wow were ******** fans with zero prior MMO experience, and when it first came out the game was filled with quest content that required grouping to complete...it wasn't until many years (and 10 million players later) that they dumbed the game down as far as it has been.

Quote:
The mission is doable in under 1.5 hours, with no respawns at any part of it, id say that is about as fast as it can be done if you wish to score a flawless victory. Now that is my best run and i have repeated it a few times but if a saw a player saying it could be done flawlessly in a hour i would ask how and learn.

That is what i consider research at the point i am at for infected.

Right now i am spending time on tribble (when i can) researching tactics for "the cure".
I'd love to see it that fast, but that requires a group of people who know each other well and have worked to be good at the instance. I typically go 2.5 hours and am happy with that.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey Guys,

How are you getting stuck excatly ?

Here is the normal behaviour.. well normal in that the way it's currently se up to work.

Corner Shield Nodes

3 people use the small consoles... the shield around the node goes down for 5 sec.. this is long enough for you to upload the virus. If you do not upload the virus (which take 3 secs to upload) the shield will go back up again. If this is where you getting stuck.... dont stand so close to the node. You do not need to be right on top of it to upload the virus.

If you get trapped here... your party just needs to use the three consoles again to free you, which they would have to do anyway, because if your trapped it means the virus insn't uploading either bacause if it were there would be no shield...

Center Generator

This shield will go down when all 4 corner shields are down. It will go back up again if any of the timers expire on the corner nodes.... Again... no reason to be standing on top of the generator.... even more so with this one because you can shoot it from range.

With that said.. let me explain to you what the shields are there for in the first place. They are only there to give you a visual point of reference, so you can look accross the room at any time to see the status of the puzzle. I have a new shield that is going in that is slotted to allow you to escape if you get trapped... but I'm not seeing how you guys are geting trapped that much.. when all you have to do is step back a little and your safe.

Unless of course something else is happening with the shields, and they are coming up unexpectedly... If that's the case let me know, and give me details...

Thanks,

Gozer