Lt. Commander
It's taken us six months to bring you this one, so without further ado, we'd like to introduce our Executive Producer, Craig Zinkievich. Find out what makes the driving force behind Star Trek Online tick!

Meet the Team - Craig Zinkievich!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2009, 03:37 PM
(eagerly rushes to link,reads article.)

He likes Spock.
We're in good hands.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Greetings, I had read a little about you when PE turned over the project to a "mysterious force." We strongly suspected Cryptic had their hands in the pot Glad to hear a little about you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Like the QnA said in the game intro.
This guy nerfed my ship

But I promise you, if you actually deliver this game to me before I have grandchildren, I'll never complain to you again
Lt. Commander
# 5 Zinc!
01-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Ah the man behind the curtain. Good to meet the almighty Oz and his goat. Your "Which Alien" and "Favorite Episode" answers are very impressive. I have to say my excitement really is building up for this game.

Monkeys and Asteroids. This man has my vote.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2009, 04:16 PM
If you could choose to be an alien on Star Trek, which species would you want to be?

The alien races that really intrigued me are all the secondary and tertiary ones. Like the Breen, the Bolians and the Andorians - those kinds. The races that have gotten nods in the shows and you know that there’s a lot more to them, that a lot more thought that went into the creation of that race, but the shows and the movies didn’t really go into them. One of the joys of being on this project is getting to look at those races, to talk about those races, do the research on those races, and get those races a little bit more in the forefront. In an MMO like we are, which has got to be huge, we’ve got to go deep. So we really can’t just pay lip service to all the cool races in the Star Trek universe. We really need to get them – and as much of their history as possible – out there.

I love his answer to this question. We going to get a rich history of secondary races This open up alot of storys in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Welcome, best of luck to you...

<Martok> AND YOUR HOUUUUSSSEEEEEE....</Martok>
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Personally, I think Snowflake should start coming into the Cryptic offices so she can maintain her own dev blog.

But seriously though, how about some more hardball questions! What development methodology are you using... what task tracking system are you using... how many people are on the team now, and what's the team size going to be before the game ships... and how many of those people are YOU responsible for?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phifur View Post
If you could choose to be an alien on Star Trek, which species would you want to be?

The alien races that really intrigued me are all the secondary and tertiary ones. Like the Breen, the Bolians and the Andorians - those kinds. The races that have gotten nods in the shows and you know that there’s a lot more to them, that a lot more thought that went into the creation of that race, but the shows and the movies didn’t really go into them. One of the joys of being on this project is getting to look at those races, to talk about those races, do the research on those races, and get those races a little bit more in the forefront. In an MMO like we are, which has got to be huge, we’ve got to go deep. So we really can’t just pay lip service to all the cool races in the Star Trek universe. We really need to get them – and as much of their history as possible – out there.

I love his answer to this question. We going to get a rich history of secondary races This open up alot of storys in STO.
Agreed. Many people love the undeveloped secondary/tertiary species like the Andorians, but unfortunately not of the series deemed it important enough to expand on them. It's somewhat paradoxical, however, that they aren't built upon, because after all, the Andorians were a founding member of the Federation, and are still one of the more commonplace members of Starfleet. ENT tried expanding on them somewhat, but only in a limited fashion. And then there's plenty of others who haven't even had that much. If Craig is in command, then he'll serve us well in answering a lot of the "What happened to this storyline/species?" questions.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
Personally, I think Snowflake should start coming into the Cryptic offices so she can maintain her own dev blog.
She's got an attitude. I'm not sure you'd enjoy what she'd have to say all the time!

Quote:
But seriously though, how about some more hardball questions! What development methodology are you using...
Oh - you mean the boring project management ones? : )

Here goes: We use whatever methodology fits the task. MMOs are large and I don't subscribe to forcing a single methodology onto every aspect of the project just for consistencies’' sake. For content - we use more of a scrum/agile methodology that allows us to control iteration towards completion. For critters and powers - it's closer to waterfall, the workload for the different departments doesn't match up so well. Game systems – those have their own method too. For each piece of the game, it's own.

Quote:
what task tracking system are you using...
We use a modified JIRA in house for the majority of the project tracking. For many of the other things - tickets, errors, crashes, etc... - we've grown our own. Cryptic's big on writing our own tool chain. We figure if we control it, we can make it what we want. I can easily imagine our own project tracking tools in the next couple years.

Quote:
how many people are on the team now, and what's the team size going to be before the game ships...
I'm thinking it'll top out at around 40 people on the dev team. (Not counting QA, Core engineering or any of the fine people in publishing, OCR, CS or Ops.)

I believe that you keep a team small and you get ownership down to each member. If have a 300 person dev team - the majority of the people are going to come in and punch the clock. Build the assets on their list and go home when the boss lets them. But - you put together a team of 30-40 wicked talented and passionate people and you get people who will really get invested in what they're making.

With a team at that size, the artist who has a really good design idea feels like he can walk over to a designer and talk to him about it. We can all play the game, give feedback and feel as though our voice is heard. If you give everyone a MAJOR role and responsibility in making the game, people rise to it and it shows in the passion they approach their work with.

That's the theory anyhow. : ) It's what Cryptic has done for all its projects and it seems to be paying off.

Quote:
and how many of those people are YOU responsible for?
Biologically? : )