Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 101
01-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Kennedy
Are you people seriously still complaining about "cartoony" design? WoW is a multi-billion dollar game and it looks more cartoony then Tom and Jerry! Just be greatfull our prayers are being answered at all! This is Star Trek, not Battlestar Galactica. Bright colors and shiny lights is what its all about. Hell, the uniforms are Red, Blue and Yellow!! Star Trek is a brighter future, not all dim and gloomy. Plus these screen shots are pre-beta, you think this is finished work? I swear some people complain on here just to exercise there fingures...

Come down from your cross, use the wood to build a bridge and GET OVER IT!!!!
Like I told a fellow fleetmate;

WoW is a fantasy, it was made from scratch by Blizzard and takes place completely in an imaginary world, its expected to be cartoony.

Star Trek is Scifi with aspect of reality. Star Trek needs to embody what it stands for, a low-res game is not trek.

Though the game is not complete and is in pre-beta, I do not foresee the graphics improving much more.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 102
01-27-2009, 12:32 PM
You guys really think they are showing us the best of the game? They are just feeding our needs for now.

The Klingon ship in no way looked cartoony to me. It looked like a Klingon ship. Federation ships are smooth, sleek and bright. All the lighting I believe is put in by the programers so we don't b*tch about low visibility. lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 103
01-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0238 View Post
Like I told a fellow fleetmate;

WoW is a fantasy, it was made from scratch by Blizzard and takes place completely in an imaginary world, its expected to be cartoony.

Star Trek is Scifi with aspect of reality. Star Trek needs to embody what it stands for, a low-res game is not trek.

Though the game is not complete and is in pre-beta, I do not foresee the graphics improving much more.
Have you seen TOS or the first 2 seasons of any of the series? They are all fantasy looking. I know WoW is fantasy world based but the canon is dark stuff but they chose to use cartoony design, which I don't care for in a troll. I want a mean looking SOB troll warrior, not a Cartoon Network reject. But, hey, they still make the money because the sysytem is air tight! If STO brings a great economy and gameplay system then I'll be happy.

WAIT FOR THE BETA!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 104
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Am I the ONLY one here who knows WHY it looks the WHY it does? My God people, do you understand the concept of LIGHTING?! Of SHADING?!
THAT is what you're referring to. YOU. DO. NOT. LIKE. THE. LIGHTING. THAT is your problem. And, I know you don't want to hear this, but screenshots are INTENTIONALLY BRIGHT! My god! You all act like you've never used a Flash on a camera before. Well here's a news flash: When you do, the whole pictures is ARTIFICIALLY BRIGHTER! Why do people use them then? TO SEE THE IMAGE SHOWN!

Geeze. Now stop complaining about the detail and start complaining about the lighting and color.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 105
01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Am I the ONLY one here who knows WHY it looks the WHY it does? My God people, do you understand the concept of LIGHTING?! Of SHADING?!
THAT is what you're referring to. YOU. DO. NOT. LIKE. THE. LIGHTING. THAT is your problem. And, I know you don't want to hear this, but screenshots are INTENTIONALLY BRIGHT! My god! You all act like you've never used a Flash on a camera before. Well here's a news flash: When you do, the whole pictures is ARTIFICIALLY BRIGHTER! Why do people use them then? TO SEE THE IMAGE SHOWN!

Geeze. Now stop complaining about the detail and start complaining about the lighting and color.
WELL SAID, if not a little gramatically incorrect. lol. J/K

But I completely agree.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 106
01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Looks like the (for lack of a better word), 'Miranda', has the hull from the science ship dubbed "CERN' on STO.net. The saucer ring could be a collider as the Bussard scoops are along the leading edge of the saucer.

The warp drive section and the nacelles looks like he salvaged it from a Klingon D-7.

It looks like this ship that has been out a long time, living off the land, or a militia ship that does not rely heavily on SF bases.

Also the 'Miranda' does not look like it is a capital ship version. Notice how few lifeboats there are. This is a very small ship it seems.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 107
01-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Kennedy
Have you seen TOS or the first 2 seasons of any of the series? They are all fantasy looking. I know WoW is fantasy world based but the canon is dark stuff but they chose to use cartoony design, which I don't care for in a troll. I want a mean looking SOB troll warrior, not a Cartoon Network reject. But, hey, they still make the money because the sysytem is air tight! If STO brings a great economy and gameplay system then I'll be happy.

WAIT FOR THE BETA!!!
TBH, the first episodes of any series are not too much different from the rest of the series, and TOS is hardly a valid point to make in this argument. Fact is WoW makes billions because of decent gameplay and its a fantasy game, hence the cartoon-iness of it which also makes it more available. STO is something more, STO is representing Trek on a whole new level, we can't have low-end graphics. Fact is, even if the gameplay is good, if the graphics are lacking ,then people may not stay or join.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 108
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Am I the ONLY one here who knows WHY it looks the WHY it does? My God people, do you understand the concept of LIGHTING?! Of SHADING?!
THAT is what you're referring to. YOU. DO. NOT. LIKE. THE. LIGHTING. THAT is your problem. And, I know you don't want to hear this, but screenshots are INTENTIONALLY BRIGHT! My god! You all act like you've never used a Flash on a camera before. Well here's a news flash: When you do, the whole pictures is ARTIFICIALLY BRIGHTER! Why do people use them then? TO SEE THE IMAGE SHOWN!

Geeze. Now stop complaining about the detail and start complaining about the lighting and color.
You need to understand that people really don't care, "why" people want to just see it. If they see crap, they see crap, they don't care why they see crap other than that they see crap.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 109
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0238 View Post
Like I told a fellow fleetmate;

WoW is a fantasy, it was made from scratch by Blizzard and takes place completely in an imaginary world, its expected to be cartoony.

Star Trek is Scifi with aspect of reality. Star Trek needs to embody what it stands for, a low-res game is not trek.

Though the game is not complete and is in pre-beta, I do not foresee the graphics improving much more.
By that reasoning the Lord of the Rings films should also have looked cartoony, since it's fantasy. It should also be pointed out that ArenaNet who made Guild Wars were originally responsible for games like ******** and the original intent was for World of ******** not to look cartoon-like at all. Saying fantasy is expected to look like a cartoon does come off as rather dismissive of the genre in this instance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 110
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0238 View Post
WoW is a fantasy, it was made from scratch by Blizzard and takes place completely in an imaginary world, its expected to be cartoony.

Star Trek is Scifi with aspect of reality. Star Trek needs to embody what it stands for, a low-res game is not trek.
Agreed, WoW is pure Fantasy, it's supposed to be. Star Trek is supposed to be semi-realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Kennedy
You guys really think they are showing us the best of the game? They are just feeding our needs for now.

The Klingon ship in no way looked cartoony to me. It looked like a Klingon ship. Federation ships are smooth, sleek and bright. All the lighting I believe is put in by the programers so we don't b*tch about low visibility. lol

I'm pretty sure they're not showing us the best aspects of the game, but with that said, whatever happened to "putting your best foot forward"?

Your correct, Fed ships are supposed to be smooth, sleek but not necessarily "bright". Take a closer look at the Miranda, tell me how many straight lines you can count on the saucer, how is that smooth and sleek?

- Dahakra
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 PM.