Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 111
01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Padre View Post
By that reasoning the Lord of the Rings films should also have looked cartoony, since it's fantasy. It should also be pointed out that ArenaNet who made Guild Wars were originally responsible for games like ******** and the original intent was for World of ******** not to look cartoon-like at all. Saying it's expected to look fantasy does come off as rather dismissive of the genre in this instance.
Finally someone gets what I'm saying. Thank you
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 112
01-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Am I the ONLY one here who knows WHY it looks the WHY it does? My God people, do you understand the concept of LIGHTING?! Of SHADING?!
THAT is what you're referring to. YOU. DO. NOT. LIKE. THE. LIGHTING. THAT is your problem. And, I know you don't want to hear this, but screenshots are INTENTIONALLY BRIGHT! My god! You all act like you've never used a Flash on a camera before. Well here's a news flash: When you do, the whole pictures is ARTIFICIALLY BRIGHTER! Why do people use them then? TO SEE THE IMAGE SHOWN!

Geeze. Now stop complaining about the detail and start complaining about the lighting and color.
I totally agree and because these are "inanimate shots", I find it quite hard to judge. Another in-game video would be a bit more helpful.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 113
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0238 View Post
You need to understand that people really don't care, "why" people want to just see it. If they see crap, they see crap, they don't care why they see crap other than that they see crap.
They just don't like the brightness and vivid colors. They're used to the dark, realistic looking lighting from the CGI, but let's face it: If you did that in here, how would you see someone's ship?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 114
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Padre View Post
By that reasoning the Lord of the Rings films should also have looked cartoony, since it's fantasy. It should also be pointed out that ArenaNet who made Guild Wars were originally responsible for games like ******** and the original intent was for World of ******** not to look cartoon-like at all. Saying fantasy is expected to look like a cartoon does come off as rather dismissive of the genre in this instance.
I think you misunderstood my point. With the fantasy genre, its not an issue of "Since its fantasy it must be cartoony" rather "Since its fantasy, it is ok and acceptable for it to be cartoony"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 115
01-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahakra View Post
Agreed, WoW is pure Fantasy, it's supposed to be. Star Trek is supposed to be semi-realistic.




I'm pretty sure they're not showing us the best aspects of the game, but with that said, whatever happened to "putting your best foot forward"?

Your correct, Fed ships are supposed to be smooth, sleek but not necessarily "bright". Take a closer look at the Miranda, tell me how many straight lines you can count on the saucer, how is that smooth and sleek?

- Dahakra
How do you know that it isn't a modified ship? Like someone said before, it looks put together. It in no way resembles the other ships they have shown us all ready. And fantasy does not mean cartoony, look at LotR or Connan.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 116
01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
love that miranda custom. not really a big fan of kilngon ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 117
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0238 View Post
I think you misunderstood my point. With the fantasy genre, its not an issue of "Since its fantasy it must be cartoony" rather "Since its fantasy, it is ok and acceptable for it to be cartoony"
Yes but then that can also be applied to Science Fiction, not all sci-fi is or even has to be ultra realistic or even semi realistic either.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 118
01-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Am I the ONLY one here who knows WHY it looks the WHY it does? My God people, do you understand the concept of LIGHTING?! Of SHADING?!
THAT is what you're referring to. YOU. DO. NOT. LIKE. THE. LIGHTING. THAT is your problem. And, I know you don't want to hear this, but screenshots are INTENTIONALLY BRIGHT! My god! You all act like you've never used a Flash on a camera before. Well here's a news flash: When you do, the whole pictures is ARTIFICIALLY BRIGHTER! Why do people use them then? TO SEE THE IMAGE SHOWN!

Geeze. Now stop complaining about the detail and start complaining about the lighting and color.
Actually looking at these images and now knowing for a fact they are screenshots, I would think people would really start to understand, if not appreciate, the artistic style here.

The second image of the Miranda is a perfect example. Looking at the planet I was convinced it was a concept piece until the devs confirmed otherwise. The image is like Trek meets Boris Vallejo or Todd Lockwood. The fact that their engine is actually able to create screenshots that look concept art quality speaks volumes about how good the graphics really are.

Now some people may not like or enjoy this style preferring something that appears more photo-realistic, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the images. These are images that would make many a fantasy or sci-fi artist famous as prints.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 119
01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Just save the Screenshots and use whatever program you use and make it darker... it WILL look better
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 120
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Am I the ONLY one here who knows WHY it looks the WHY it does? My God people, do you understand the concept of LIGHTING?! Of SHADING?!
THAT is what you're referring to. YOU. DO. NOT. LIKE. THE. LIGHTING. THAT is your problem. And, I know you don't want to hear this, but screenshots are INTENTIONALLY BRIGHT! My god! You all act like you've never used a Flash on a camera before. Well here's a news flash: When you do, the whole pictures is ARTIFICIALLY BRIGHTER! Why do people use them then? TO SEE THE IMAGE SHOWN!

Geeze. Now stop complaining about the detail and start complaining about the lighting and color.
Relax mate, I know the lighting is poor and plays a significant part in poor appearance. My point is it does look bad, atleast to me and seemingly to you as well. Poor lighting is perhaps accentuating to imperfections, I see that and recognize it.

But as I and others have also said, the round saucer isn't round. Maybe it is as a result of modification but maybe its not. If its not, which personally I don't think it is maybe I'm wrong but meh, it can't be blamed on poor lighting now can it?

- Dahakra
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:19 PM.