Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 121
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
They just don't like the brightness and vivid colors. They're used to the dark, realistic looking lighting from the CGI, but let's face it: If you did that in here, how would you see someone's ship?
Damn it you have more posts than me... :p

Dave we should just face it. There are some people who expect photo-real images and don't care for this style. Unfortunately they are going to call this style "cartoony" or "low-grade" because they don't like it. It is like those people who are dismissive of one artistic movement or another simply because it is not their cup of tea. Rather than admit that an artist has skill, they belittle the work because they don't care for it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 122
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
I think the Klingon ship looks Great!

The "Miranda" looks like a piece of crap. Terrible. Hopefully this isn't a real Miranda - just something someone cooked up in the starship creator or whatever. But still - it just looks like a pile of parts glued together - hopefully we will be able to design better looking ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 123
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
They just don't like the brightness and vivid colors. They're used to the dark, realistic looking lighting from the CGI, but let's face it: If you did that in here, how would you see someone's ship?
Right, cuz everybody has a computer that can recreate CGI in its on screen perfection! HAHAHA
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 124
01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Damn it you have more posts than me... :p

Dave we should just face it. There are some people who expect photo-real images and don't care for this style. Unfortunately they are going to call this style "cartoony" or "low-grade" because they don't like it. It is like those people who are dismissive of one artistic movement or another simply because it is not their cup of tea. Rather than admit that an artist has skill, they belittle the work because they don't care for it.
WELL SAID. Hell, say it again!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 125 Scrued screenshot
01-27-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't know if You have noticed but there is a copy&paste engine installed on the klingon ship. If that is screenshot than You better find out what's wrong with your models in game, this doesn't look good. the impulse engine is almost flying behind the ship on its own.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 126
01-27-2009, 01:11 PM
like the screenshots its good ot have a pic of a Klingon ship. If that is how we can customize a Miranda can't wait to try it on other ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 127
01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
this game lokks better and better everytime screen shots are released . keep up the great work
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 128
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Damn it you have more posts than me... :p

Dave we should just face it. There are some people who expect photo-real images and don't care for this style. Unfortunately they are going to call this style "cartoony" or "low-grade" because they don't like it. It is like those people who are dismissive of one artistic movement or another simply because it is not their cup of tea. Rather than admit that an artist has skill, they belittle the work because they don't care for it.
Oh come on!

Many of these folks are actually trying to help Cryptic understand the demographic.

Trekkers expect more realism and always have always gotten upset when games do not look as good as they should considering current graphic technologies available.

Style aside a moment and only from a business aspect, they are telling you something about this comunity and all you have to do is look at the forums on the last few Star Trek games that came out.

Legacy looked pretty good and it was blasted and folks had to rely on the modders to make it look good.

So. Cup of tea aside, please. There is no doubt to some the overall feel of STO will sell better and settle better with people when better lighting options are explored and delivered.

You are right when you say folks will not be happy until it is photo-real! We have been promised evolution and it is not over until it is perfect (if possible).

Graphics keeps advancing and soon real-time radiosity cards will be available. Will STO take advantage of the latest high-end systems and be ready to embrace the new technology?

ONE THING this community has ALWAYS asked for every time a ST game expansion or upgrade has come out is "BETTER GRAPHICS!" all the way back to SFC. All many ever wanted out of SFC was for it to "just get better and better looking". They killed their own franchise by dumbing down game play and NOT upgrading the graphics

Bethesda: Not very good visuals and not very good gameplay:
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 129
01-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinneas View Post
Oh come on!

Many of these folks are actually trying to help Cryptic understand the demographic.

Trekkers expect more realism and always have and have always gotten upset when games do not look as good as they should considering current graphic technologies available.

Style aside a moment and only from a business aspect, they are telling you something about this comunity and all you have to do is look at the forums on the last few Star Trek games that came out.

Legacy looked pretty good and it was blasted and folks had to rely on the modders to make it look good.

So. Cup of tea aside, please. There is no doubt to some the overall feel of STO will sell better and settle better as better and better lighting options are explored and delivered as technology advances.

You are right when you say folks will not be happy until it is photo-real! We have been promised evolution and it is not over until it is perfect (if possible).
--
Cryptic: Have you folks considered hiring an honest to goodness cinematographer or at least invite one in to talk? I'm sure CBS has folks. Having resources is nice, leverage them?
That's a great point and you said it very well. I'm sorry if I seem to jump down people's throstd when they b*tch about the game. I just hate haters. You are right, they need to here our constructive critisism, but constructively.

All I''m trying to say is it's still really early and these are just a taste!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 130
01-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Kennedy
That's a great point and you said it very well. I'm sorry if I seem to jump down people's throstd when they b*tch about the game. I just hate haters. You are right, they need to here our constructive critisism, but constructively.

All I''m trying to say is it's still really early and these are just a taste!
Yessir! I agree!

The future is so amazing with regards to where we are going graphics wise.

I am far more interested in the look of STO: 2010-2012-2015.

With luck and a good subscription base...we'll get there!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 AM.