Lt. Commander
# 181
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
I like the shots. The holes in the saucer section are a different concept than I would have imagined, but not a huge deal. I'm guesing the Devs are going to have to refit some of the older ships simply because it would take forever to redesign two entire fleets of ships. If that were the case we'd never se the game ar we'd see it with about 10 ships a side and that would suck.
Lt. Commander
# 182
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
NICE Every time I see more in game stuff im more impressed than the previous things shown. Thanks for the info and I'm sure the Klingon fans are very pleased.
Lt. Commander
# 183
01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Actually looking at these images and now knowing for a fact they are screenshots, I would think people would really start to understand, if not appreciate, the artistic style here.

The second image of the Miranda is a perfect example. Looking at the planet I was convinced it was a concept piece until the devs confirmed otherwise. The image is like Trek meets Boris Vallejo or Todd Lockwood. The fact that their engine is actually able to create screenshots that look concept art quality speaks volumes about how good the graphics really are.

Now some people may not like or enjoy this style preferring something that appears more photo-realistic, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the images. These are images that would make many a fantasy or sci-fi artist famous as prints.

It tends to look Psuedo-comic in style, imo. While that is a nice artistic style, I question it for Star Trek.

I certainly don't share the 'amazement' that the Devs have for it -- again more speaking from a Star Trek stand point. Had this been another Comic based game, I think I would tend to agree, but not for a Sci Fi television/film game.

Glad to see some Klingon content finally.
Lt. Commander
# 184
01-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
I'm getting worked up a great deal by the constant complaints and "I hate it, it's crap" explanations. It's like WoW all over again.
I know and I'm sure if I had more time to spend here again, I would get just as worked up.

Quote:
No I'm not. If I was, I wouldn't have answered both posts in one post. :p
Touche
Lt. Commander
# 185
01-27-2009, 07:57 PM
those ships look sweet, I like the klingon vessel versus the modified miranda but that just wet my appetite.
Lt. Commander
# 186
01-27-2009, 08:00 PM
I have to say that these are amazing and I get more excited for the game with each subsequent news release.
This is exactly the kind of thing that I want to see more of in the future, mostly because I already cannot wait to play the game! Thank you for posting this, and keep up the good work!
Lt. Commander
# 187
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post

It tends to look Psuedo-comic in style, imo. While that is a nice artistic style, I question it for Star Trek.

I certainly don't share the 'amazement' that the Devs have for it -- again more speaking from a Star Trek stand point. Had this been another Comic based game, I think I would tend to agree, but not for a Sci Fi television/film game.

Glad to see some Klingon content finally.
And I'm fine with people who express their opinions in this manner. While I may not agree with it, you have not been dismissive of the style just because you don't like it. You might not think it is the right "fit" and that's fine, buy you've not resorted to derogatory language.

Personally I do not think it is "comic" in style. It does remind me a great deal of fantasy art in the sense of Boris Vallejo or Todd Lockwood. There is a surrealism in the "dream" like sense to the Miranda image especially. Artistically I think it is a rather interesting direction to take Trek and I personally don't mind it, but I understand if it is not your cup of tea.
Lt. Commander
# 188
01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie626 View Post
I reckon that the klingon starship is not so much a re-use of the raptor class but a combination of the Bird of Prey (head) and the Vor'cha class (nacelles and main body).
Oh it's the Raptor class all right. compare the screenie with THIS. Same warp nacelles, same structure on the dorsal hull, same disruptors on the nose, etc. It's definately a Raptor.
Lt. Commander
# 189
01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Why is the Federation still using Miranda class star ships?
Starfleet is hardly the only navy to do so; the Klingons still make EXTENSIVE use of Birds of Prey (2 different versions in fact - B'Rel and K'Vort); they (apparently) still use Raptors (which were flying in Archer's time), and they even still use K'Tingas such as when they assaulted DS9.

Obviously these spaceframes (as with Mirandas and Excelsiors) were worth upgrading as time passed, or never fell out of production (as it seems to be the case with Birds of Prey).
Lt. Commander
# 190
01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
These screens look absolutely stunning. By far this is one of the best looking mmos that will be out on the market. The style of feels true to the essence of Star Trek and is unique enough to know exactly what game its from. Can't wait till the game is released.