Lt. Commander
# 211
01-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filip1902 View Post
actually I mentioned it before on 13 page You are probably right, saying its graphic bug, but serious one if this is truly screenshot from the game, so cryptic I suggest U look into this problem
Dude - the game is in alpha - I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. And you sometimes get that with those types of effects - I remember similar screenies from the Homeworld series.
Lt. Commander
# 212
01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Did anyone mention that if people have the time, they should add hype to STO when they stop by mmorpg.com to view the screenshots?
Lt. Commander
# 213
01-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Quote:
I can answer this.
See, when models are created, they are given certain "points". Either actual points or full polygons that are designated in some way. This allows objects, effects, ect... to be attached. When you play an FPS online and you see someone switch guns, you actually see an animation, followed by the gun being removed and a new one being put in it's place. To line this up, the guns and the hand model have a point that must match. Kinda like fitting piece A into slot B. It's designed to make it easy to just stick something where it needs to be regardless of what the hands are doing.
This is also true with effects. In this case, a streaming engine effect (the red stuff) is being emitted from a single point that the engines should be. Now due to model clipping, points not being properly placed, ect... you can very easily get that kind of "space" between an effect and where it should be coming from. Remember, most effects are 2D sprites that are simply rotated towards the camera. They don't actually have a fully rendered, 3D model that looks like a stream of stuff coming from an engine.
Lt. Commander
# 214
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I can't understand why everyone went; "YAY!!! CUSTOMISATION WOOHOO!!!" and now they've seen TWO customised ships they are going "BLEH... THAT LOOKS RUBBISH!!!"

Seems a bit backwards to me...
Lt. Commander
# 215
01-28-2009, 10:34 AM
They've been too busy dev to sate our desires for them...

So does your tail wag the dog.. or deliver the paper...

more depth then Legecy more variety then SFC Win Win

Oui?
Lt. Commander
# 216
01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
That Federation ship is gorgeous and the background is awesome. But that Klingon ship... that Klingon ship is amazingly beautiful and awesomely awesome. ROCKIN! I hope we can play both sides cause I want both a Klingon Empire toon and a Federation toon
Lt. Commander
# 217
01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Dude I understand how it can be done or what souses graphical bugs like this one (if that was a bug), I just wanted to know if this was really a game bug or some weak photoshop work, or just someone was so tired during work that missed, whatever this is
Lt. Commander
# 218
01-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Dude I understand how it can be done or what souses graphical bugs like this one (if that was a bug), I just wanted to know if this was really a game bug or some weak photoshop work, or just someone was so tired during work that missed, whatever this is
No one knows. All we know is that it's an actual, honest to god, in-game shot. We don't know how the lighting was done up, and we don't know if it was specially setup (aside from the intentional texture issues that were pointed out).
Lt. Commander
# 219
01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I think it's looking real good : and we all know you're not bringing your A-games to the table at this moment of development.

I know I've never seen any better looking screen shot , art work , graphics and etc of a Astro fields in my lifetime . I know I will be pursuing a fleeing cowardly Klingon vessel into many of your beautiful graphic asteroids fields , just like the screen shot you provided for us :
Lt. Commander
# 220 Nice Artwork
01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
The artwork is very interesting. The Neg'Var entering the asteroid field looks like an interesting design change. The asteroid field itself looks interesting. The second picture with the Miranda-class ship looks way different then the Miranda-class ships that I remember. All in all, the artwork is very nice.