Lt. Commander
# 71
01-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelorKiith View Post
As far as I can see... yes it is the same design, just look at those braces going from the nacelle to the top thingy at the same place as of the Raptor ones in ENT...
And yes... we know that Klingons tend to overuse designs so it is not surprising to me that a ship like the Raptor is used in 2409 as like the D7/K't'inga before...
Just compare the screen with this: http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...out_raptor.jpg

There are just some minor changes (like and extra Hullplate here and there and something like that) but still it is the same design...
Thanks for the link,that's a great schematic. It brings out the best of the Raptor-class.

anyways,from what I can tell after enlarging both images by 200%,this new Klingon vessel has the same layout as the Raptor-class,but very different hull plating and the nacelles design is slightly different.
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I 'm still going for the idea that nx-91001 is a hit on relese date: 01-October-2009
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Personally, I'm not that big of a fan of how the Miranda looks... but hey, customizability is king, so the more looks available, the merrier!

Also, Klingon ships are fun.
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Wasps View Post
Thanks for the link,that's a great schematic. It brings out the best of the Raptor-class.

anyways,from what I can tell after enlarging both images by 200%,this new Klingon vessel has the same layout as the Raptor-class,but very different hull plating and the nacelles design is slightly different.
Okay so where's my Constitution-class starship dammit!
Lt. Commander
# 75
01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I think those screenshots look cartoony, wah wah wah!!!

Seriously though, loving how it is coming along. Keep up the updates please.
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel230 View Post
the klingon one doesnt look too bad, but the other one is flat out bad. The ship looks deformed, the silly red/ blue blurs, poor detail textures...looks like a very low polygon model as you can see all the points around the sauver, not smooth like a circle...ugh im really getting worried this game is going to look like crap.
Please keep in mind that these are pre-Beta screenshots of a ship that's obviously had an extensive custom job applied to it (yay!) - and I would suggest we are looking at a less-intense-than-release resolution. If you're "really getting worried this game is going to look like crap" just because of one screenshot, then I'd suggest a case of over-reaction.

I have to commend the Cryptic devs on what I see - I think they look very good for what they are! Ironically, the Klingon ship really makes me look forward to seeing some Romulan ship designs!
Lt. Commander
# 77
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the release of these two new images -- it's appreciated.

And now, the obligatory comments.

1. Where the heck are the light sources that are illuminating the asteroids and the upper hulls of the ships in these images?

All the objects in these screen captures seem to be lit by some bright light just above the top of each picture. In particular, I'd have expected the Klingon ship to be dynamically lit by the blue giant and red dwarf stars -- instead, the upper hull of the ship is lit as though there's some multi-spectral light just beyond the top of the frame and (based on the apparent shadow of the superstructure) in front of the ship.

From these images and the ones previously released, I think I'm beginning to get a sense of why they're at odds with my preconceptions of what STO "should" look like.

By the time of DS9, CG was replacing physical models. That meant CG lighting had to be done as well. By the time of Voyager, the graphics people were getting quite sophisticated about lighting Voyager dynamically using only the nearby stars and reflection sources -- many of the beauty pass shots from Voyager were works of art. I'm thinking that the deep blacks of space combined with local environmental light sources dynamically rendered was a crucial reason why Voyager looked as gorgeous as she did.

It may or may not be unreasonable on my part to expect that kind of glossy, high-contrast look from a still-in-development computer game intended to do real-time rendering that performs well on a range of PCs. But I'm thinking that maybe that's where my disconnect is coming from when these images seem excessively bright and "flat" to me.

Would there be any chance of someone from the art department giving us a little write-up discussing the choice of art direction for this game, and maybe some of the nuts-and-bolts of that process? I'd really enjoy reading that -- not to criticize, but to help improve my understanding.

2. I'm very impressed by the apparent destruction of the asteroid in the Miranda image. Will solid spheres really crack open into numerous chunks and particles in a non-pre-rendered way in the actual game? Nice!

3. I also like the model of the Klingon ship, but was the superstructure reused from a Starfleet ship design?

4. Also from the Klingon ship image... gossamer dust rings around a star? I don't believe our astronomers are aware of anything like that currently. (Protoplanetary disks that will eventually turn into planets probably don't look as translucent.) If this is just a bit of unrestrained artistic license, I guess we can choose to explain it away as "Well, this is Star Trek."

5. I'm really liking the space backgrounds in all these images. They do a great job of communicating the drama and beauty of space (which should help to amp up the emotion in this game) without radically contradicting what we currently know about how space looks. There's some artistic license happening here, too, obviously, but it's nicely understated. Kudos to the background artist(s)!

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Think of the Miranda Class as the F-16 of Star Fleet Smaller cheaper ..

Yards could chuck these out with modular unibody.. templates. later to be down classed as a ship with

bigger models but beign the crew friendly aspects.. it held of

maneuver with fire power subsystems advances.

a popular hold over..

While this Klingon vessal is very familiar in style to a Romulan NCF Attack cruiser... just without the
proper bird art in green along the underside... and Gold Lettering for PGCS Kurikaze on it.
[pan galatic consortium,the Romulan empire for 3 General wars on SFC II campaigns]
Lt. Commander
# 79 Looking God
01-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm just glad they finally showed a Klingon ship. I was getting sick of everybody asking about them.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!?!?!?!?!?!
Lt. Commander
# 80
01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
Thanks for the release of these two new images -- it's appreciated.

And now, the obligatory comments.

1. Where the heck are the light sources that are illuminating the asteroids and the upper hulls of the ships in these images?

All the objects in these screen captures seem to be lit by some bright light just above the top of each picture. In particular, I'd have expected the Klingon ship to be dynamically lit by the blue giant and red dwarf stars -- instead, the upper hull of the ship is lit as though there's some multi-spectral light just beyond the top of the frame and (based on the apparent shadow of the superstructure) in front of the ship.

From these images and the ones previously released, I think I'm beginning to get a sense of why they're at odds with my preconceptions of what STO "should" look like.

By the time of DS9, CG was replacing physical models. That meant CG lighting had to be done as well. By the time of Voyager, the graphics people were getting quite sophisticated about lighting Voyager dynamically using only the nearby stars and reflection sources -- many of the beauty pass shots from Voyager were works of art. I'm thinking that the deep blacks of space combined with local environmental light sources dynamically rendered was a crucial reason why Voyager looked as gorgeous as she did.

It may or may not be unreasonable on my part to expect that kind of glossy, high-contrast look from a still-in-development computer game intended to do real-time rendering that performs well on a range of PCs. But I'm thinking that maybe that's where my disconnect is coming from when these images seem excessively bright and "flat" to me.

Would there be any chance of someone from the art department giving us a little write-up discussing the choice of art direction for this game, and maybe some of the nuts-and-bolts of that process? I'd really enjoy reading that -- not to criticize, but to help improve my understanding.

2. I'm very impressed by the apparent destruction of the asteroid in the Miranda image. Will solid spheres really crack open into numerous chunks and particles in a non-pre-rendered way in the actual game? Nice!

3. I also like the model of the Klingon ship, but was the superstructure reused from a Starfleet ship design?

4. Also from the Klingon ship image... gossamer dust rings around a star? I don't believe our astronomers are aware of anything like that currently. (Protoplanetary disks that will eventually turn into planets probably don't look as translucent.) If this is just a bit of unrestrained artistic license, I guess we can choose to explain it away as "Well, this is Star Trek."

5. I'm really liking the space backgrounds in all these images. They do a great job of communicating the drama and beauty of space (which should help to amp up the emotion in this game) without radically contradicting what we currently know about how space looks. There's some artistic license happening here, too, obviously, but it's nicely understated. Kudos to the background artist(s)!

--Flatfingers
That's a pretty good question though I'm guessing the "bright" lighting is for screenshot purposes, in the gameplay trailer for example the ships often looked dark like this: Starfleet vs The Borg or Starfleet approaching planet