Lt. Commander
Duke_Skymocker suggested i repost here, so i am.

Ok, long story short. I'd like to know if we can get somewhere where we can download the patch files as either standalone installers or as "prepatch" files that can be thrown into a patcher for STO. I come from a family that has 3 players playing STO at the same time and downloading 1.5gigs per person is a big hit to our quota.

What is a quota you ask? A quota is a concept in every country except america where we have a limit on what we can download a month. This limit is measured in gigabytes and scales from 10-200gb depending on the plan you are on. When you have 3 people downloading the season 1 patch, for instance, at 2 gigs each, that's 6 gigs total for one house WITH THE SAME CONTENT.

Let's also not forget that each time you have to reinstall the game you have to download gigs of patches all over again, having these backed up would make things so much easier.

******** does it, Eve does it, SWG did it. Why can't STO have standalone patch installers?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I believe all you have to do is download once then copy the /prepatch folder to the other PC's
and as far as reinstalling if te other pc are upto date then have you did the intial installer you can copy the hog files from the live folder of the other pc's to the pc with the reinstall.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Cant you just copy&paste the complete updated install from one PC to the next?

i also would be intrested if Steam gets an updated version every now and then?
cuz if i download the Steam Version it is the one that was on the Disk and would basically have to redownload the complete game through the patcher after that which is 2 times the traffic.

Just sayin updating the DDE sourcefiles every 3 months or so would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
What they said, you can just copy the hogg files around.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
Cant you just copy&paste the complete updated install from one PC to the next?

i also would be intrested if Steam gets an updated version every now and then?
cuz if i download the Steam Version it is the one that was on the Disk and would basically have to redownload the complete game through the patcher after that which is 2 times the traffic.

Just sayin updating the DDE sourcefiles every 3 months or so would be nice.

You dont need the steam client to run or play STO. The game runs and is a lot less problematic if you download the normal STO installer and copy the hogg files across.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
thers a small problem with that. regardless of if you copy and paste the files around to each character the stupid auto-prepatch there is no prompt it just auto prepatches without any kind of prompt will auto download the full 2074MB of prepatch all over again if you decide to log back into the game to play some more. Due to the fact that once you log back in the launcher/patcher downloads a 16MB file so that we can log in and play normally. But on log out and exit of the game client the pre-patch or supposed pre-patch starts up and does guess what boys and girls? as stated it redownloads the whole 2074MB pre-patch. either fix it or drop the pre-patch nuff said about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
What they said, you can just copy the hogg files around.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordaki987 View Post
But on log out and exit of the game client the pre-patch or supposed pre-patch starts up and does guess what boys and girls? as stated it redownloads the whole 2074MB pre-patch. either fix it or drop the pre-patch nuff said about it.
I've seen this same problem (I have ST:O installed on 3 computers) ... you copy over all of the .hogg files into the \Star Trek Online\Live\prepatch\piggs folder and upon next restart of the client, it seems to either 1) wipe the hogg files clean, forcing re-download of all of 'em, or 2) continually restarts the client thinking (I guess) that it needs to re-patch.

The only "fix" I've been able to come up with is only copying over just the bins.hogg file... it's the largest one (1.2GB). Then, upon starting up the cleint the next time, login, start the game - at the character selection screen, hit "back" then "exit". Client will restart, and then start downloading the remaining files (~450MB) which should take significantly less time.

When done downloading/patching, the client will close. Start up the client a 2nd time, it will download that 16Mb patch you speak of, but once that's done, you'll be able to play AND you'll have all of the necessary pre-patch files ready to go.

I've also restarted the client several times after this procedure to verify nothing else gets downloaded/patched. All seems to be fine.

Hope others find this info useful.
Lt. Commander
OK, i am suposed to load the prepatch file after i quit game, no problem, but everytime i quit game it start to download a 11 Gigs patch, i want to let it patch through, but after 3h of "inaktivity" of my computer it shuts down. now i have changed the settings to 60 h, but i dosent want let run my computer when i not at home. How can i get the patcher to download only the nesesary 2 Gigs of Pre patch and not the whole game?
Lt. Commander
# 9 prepatch files suck azz
03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I have tried rebooting after it downloads the prepatch ....................but when I re entered to mail some stuff to my other char. the mail seemed like it wasn't working right ( could not attach stuff) only once I was able too the first one so I left the sol system came back mail still would not let me attach so I exited game relogged on and had to download prepatch files of 2074 megs again .................this is the 3rd time I have had to download those files today ...........I submitted a ticket on this problem. wait half hour or more because you exit and come back in.........................

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
I have tried rebooting after it downloads the prepatch ....................but when I re entered to mail some stuff to my other char. the mail seemed like it wasn't working right ( could not attach stuff) only once I was able too the first one so I left the sol system came back mail still would not let me attach so I exited game relogged on and had to download prepatch files of 2074 megs again .................this is the 3rd time I have had to download those files today ...........I submitted a ticket on this problem. wait half hour or more because you exit and come back in.........................

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Protip: Swearing is a really fast way to be ignored by all Cryptic employees.