Lt. Commander
Looking for a good challenge I decided to take on the Tactical Cube at the beginning of the "Infected" raid by myself. After experimenting with a variety of ships and bridge officer abilities I found a combination that worked! To prove it wasn't all luck (though luck was certainly a factor) I did it again. I'm sure there are others out there who have done this as well, but I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now...that is until someone comes along and tells me that killing Tactical Cubes is actually easier than I thought it was.

For anyone who was wondering whether or not this is possible, it IS possible -- and you get some really nice loot for doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign77x View Post
Looking for a good challenge I decided to take on the Tactical Cube at the beginning of the "Infected" raid by myself. After experimenting with a variety of ships and bridge officer abilities I found a combination that worked! To prove it wasn't all luck (though luck was certainly a factor) I did it again. I'm sure there are others out there who have done this as well, but I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now...that is until someone comes along and tells me that killing Tactical Cubes is actually easier than I thought it was.

For anyone who was wondering whether or not this is possible, it IS possible -- and you get some really nice loot for doing it.
Hm I guess a fast ship can get on top of the cube and shoot her from up there with tricobalts. It wont attack back, just rotate over and over I guess...? My cruiser is too slow to stay at cube top all time, but when I am there, the cube isnt able to shoot me back.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2010, 11:51 PM
I will try this out tomorrow, assuming I don't lag in there like crazy again. Nothing like flying away because you can not hit any of your abilities, then 30 seconds later seeing your ship explode back where you started.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Is that how people are doing it? I didn't have any luck firing Tricobalts at the thing, but I was attacking it "head on". *Sigh* Figures there might be an even easier solution out there...

Here's how I did it...if anyone is actually interested. The three key elements of my strategy are:

1. Getting the cube's shields down fast and keeping them down as much as possible.
2. Having at least 2 BO's equipped with Jam Sensors to keep the cube from firing on you.
3. Spamming as much damage as possible when the shields are down.

Abilities and weapons that take down the Cube's shields are critical. After that, it's a matter of preventing it from attacking you while you spam as much damage as possible. Good times.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-10-2010, 12:13 AM
I will have to try that out, though I will still be in my assault cruiser :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeno
I will have to try that out, though I will still be in my assault cruiser :p
Good luck! If you find a way, let me know. I really do love my Assault Cruiser, and I tried (and died) valiantly several times in that beautiful ship.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Only thing you need for it, is jam sensors.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Hm It probably is inefficient but I just tanked it all the time. No jam sensors, no scramble, no subnucleonic beam, no viral matrix. Its damage is quite laughable in truth. The only thing to worry is the random heavy torpedo, but I could take a hit from that and still it wouldn't kill me.

Torpedo fire all the way and it will go down, just takes a long time. Wasn't able to bring down the shields not even for a second solo, it didn't matter much anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorant View Post
Hm I guess a fast ship can get on top of the cube and shoot her from up there with tricobalts. It wont attack back, just rotate over and over I guess...? My cruiser is too slow to stay at cube top all time, but when I am there, the cube isnt able to shoot me back.
if we could fly up 90 deg, it wouldnt be an issue...because the Cube could just elevator its self up there...but no...we get maneuvering with training wheels...and NPCs on tri-cycles.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
...but no...we get maneuvering with training wheels...and NPCs on tri-cycles.
Yup, more and more people area finally realizing STO for what it really is... it's training for actual video games at this point.