Lt. Commander
# 1 Spam Silencing Updated
03-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey All,

The automatic spam moderating system has been improved once again!

The number of spammers should go down significantly in the near future (though many claim it already has).

The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only. Remember, the GMs still review the reports that are generated when you use this functionality, so every time you report someone, we see your name and the line of chat you reported as spam. This means that abuse is very clear. If you see or hear of players abusing it, there is no need to let us know; we will see the automatic reports as they come.

Abusing the system will result in severe penalties against your account. With great power comes great responsibility. Your cooperation is required to fight against the spammers, so please do your part and only use it for legitimate reasons.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Good news, thanks for the update.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Do the people you report for spam still end up on your ignore list?
(reason for asking: I don't want a million goldspammers cluttering up my ignore-list).

other than that one small question, Awesome work =^_^=
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleriel
Do the people you report for spam still end up on your ignore list?
(reason for asking: I don't want a million goldspammers cluttering up my ignore-list).

other than that one small question, Awesome work =^_^=
I personally hope they do go on my ignore list because I don't want them mailing me or PMing me either
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I'm glad it ignores the credit seller, but I would rather them not end up on my ignore list. My ignore list should only have real players I've chosen to ignore for a reason (and if the functionality doesn't exist already, it'd be nice to be able to apply a notation next to their name so I can remember why I ignored them in the first place).

The credit sellers can go to some hidden ignore list; I have no reason to ever see their names again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Good news to hear
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Sounds good, but so long as we are on the topic, I have two questions I have been meaning to ask:

1. Why does 'Report spam" seem to not work the first time I click it?

What I mean is, when I see a spammer in zone chat, I right click their name, for the pop-up menu. I then click the "report spam" option. It should report the person, and then add them to my ignore list. The only thing we players actually see is the "ignored" message. The problem is, I often do not see the ignore message until about the third or fourth time I click "report spam" on the person. I always keep reporting them until I get the 'ignored' message.

Am I flooding you with multiple spam reports, or is it just not working? Is this getting fixed?

2. Have you considered talking to other developers about their methods of fighting the spammers? Personally, I was very impressed with how well Mythic dealt with the spammers in Warhammer online. After the first few weeks, I didn't even see spam anymore. Whatever they did in that game, they did a great job of it. Since this is a problem that plagues the entire MMO industry, they might be willing to share their secrets if you ask nicely. I think you should send Zinc over to their office with a breifcase full of cash to sweaten the deal.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
Hey All,

The automatic spam moderating system has been improved once again!

The number of spammers should go down significantly in the near future (though many claim it already has).

The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only. Remember, the GMs still review the reports that are generated when you use this functionality, so every time you report someone, we see your name and the line of chat you reported as spam. This means that abuse is very clear. If you see or hear of players abusing it, there is no need to let us know; we will see the automatic reports as they come.

Abusing the system will result in severe penalties against your account. With great power comes great responsibility. Your cooperation is required to fight against the spammers, so please do your part and only use it for legitimate reasons.
Destra, are they going to develop something to stop the gold spammers from using the tell/whisper method? I get people gold spamming me in that fashion as well.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Thank you for this update - I may actually try hanging out on Sol again tonight to try and help out a few of the new players again
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Thank you for the update.

Question then...what option do we use for people who are deliberately spamming to sell gear or fleet recruitment? I don't mind the occasional zone broadcast for these, but since launch I've seen *maybe* 5-6 people who are clearly abusing zone chat (I'm talking the same message spammed 3 times or more within 15-30 seconds or so)
Closed Thread