Lt. Commander
# 11
03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Other games (most prominently WoW) has put in a 'soft ignore' so to speak for when you report spam.
the game stops all messages from them to you, just like an ignore, but they don't end up on your ignore list.

it's a *very* handy thing.

since none of the two of responded to my last post didn't actually read this part, let me rehash:
I don't want my ignore list filled with a million goldspammer names.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryoguns View Post
Thank you for the update.

Question then...what option do we use for people who are deliberately spamming to sell gear or fleet recruitment? I don't mind the occasional zone broadcast for these, but since launch I've seen *maybe* 5-6 people who are clearly abusing zone chat (I'm talking the same message spammed 3 times or more within 15-30 seconds or so)
I would like to know the answer to this as well.

There have been several times that I have reported fleet recruiters as spam. I generally don't mind fleet recruiting in zone as most seem to moderate their recruitment messages, however there are some that constantly spam it. One fleet in particular was spamming up the channels pretty bad the other day both in SB1 and in Sirius sector, so I reported this individual as a spammer. In the case I described, I do not believe that this was abuse of the system.

If the in game Report function is for RMT only, where do we go / what do we use to report other types of spam?
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
Hey All,

The automatic spam moderating system has been improved once again!

The number of spammers should go down significantly in the near future (though many claim it already has).

The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only. Remember, the GMs still review the reports that are generated when you use this functionality, so every time you report someone, we see your name and the line of chat you reported as spam. This means that abuse is very clear. If you see or hear of players abusing it, there is no need to let us know; we will see the automatic reports as they come.

Abusing the system will result in severe penalties against your account. With great power comes great responsibility. Your cooperation is required to fight against the spammers, so please do your part and only use it for legitimate reasons.
FINALLY! A Game developer that hates spammers as much as we do. Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantesh View Post
I would like to know the answer to this as well.

There have been several times that I have reported fleet recruiters as spam. I generally don't mind fleet recruiting in zone as most seem to moderate their recruitment messages, however there are some that constantly spam it. One fleet in particular was spamming up the channels pretty bad the other day both in SB1 and in Sirius sector, so I reported this individual as a spammer. In the case I described, I do not believe that this was abuse of the system.

If the in game Report function is for RMT only, where do we go / what do we use to report other types of spam?
I would think the "Request GM Help" button, with the following suboption "Behavior" would be the logical choice, as it is inappropriate behavior, is it not?
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Thats great new

You made me sooo happy
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBrex View Post
I would think the "Request GM Help" button, with the following suboption "Behavior" would be the logical choice, as it is inappropriate behavior, is it not?
I've always viewed the GM Help option as a means of reporting behavior of a more malicious intent. Things such as sexual harassment, racial hate, real life threats, and other forms of personal attacks meant to cause damage. Things that require the direct intervention of a GM. Excessive fleet recruitment and other certain types of spam might be inconsiderate, but I do not believe that it is malicious. Having the current Report Spam function with the updated way that it works seems like it would be fine. I simply think that it should be for more types of spam that just RMT though.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Great news, I will continue to report each and every spammer and enjoy it!
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Just finished playing and wow - what a difference! Well done....
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-18-2010, 04:06 PM
[22:54] <deathkittin> WHAT THE HELL
[22:54] <deathkittin> Thank you for contacting us. Our servers are outfitted with a functionality that temporarily suspends chat privileges from players which have violated one or more chat related behavioral policies. As this is the first instance for which you have been silenced on this account, we have opted to remove it ahead of schedule. Please understand that this is an exception, should you be silenced again it will last for the <<-cut>}
[22:54] <deathkittin> {<cut->> entire duration. Policies are available online: Champions Online: http://champions-online.com/support/policies/behavior Star Trek Online: http://startrekonline.com/support/policies/behavior Thank you for your patience and understanding with this.
[22:55] <deathkittin> Since when does "being reported by random idiots" mean "violating chat related behavioral policies"?
[22:55] <deathkittin> prev response was [05:23] <+Cryptic_DScotty> I am not particularly familiar with the reporting system - we have a different QA team that handles that with Customer Service >[05:23] <+Cryptic_DScotty> What I can do is bring it up with them, tomorrow morning. >[05:24] <+Cryptic_DScotty> It seems like a systemic problem with the spam system, so I'll make sure they take a look at it
[22:56] <deathkittin> I didn't actually spam tho
[22:56] <deathkittin> said that yesterday
[22:56] <Bobkyou> it takes a lot of people reporting someone for the spam button to silence a person, so either you annoyed a ton of people in zone chat or maybe a guild was griefing you
[22:57] <deathkittin> http://pastebin.com/w7MJEBkG
[22:57] <deathkittin> look at that
[22:57] <deathkittin> I can't believe this
[22:57] <deathkittin> Are they honestly saying 2 lines of text is spamming?
[22:58] <deathkittin> Saying something that someone decides to maliciously report simply because they don't like it is against the rules now? wow.
[22:58] <deathkittin> I really hope this is some kind of misunderstanding...
[22:58] <deathkittin> It wouldn't be the first time the GMs have not bothered to read a ticket through and replied weirdly
[23:00] <deathkittin> What really gets me is the pure BS in the form reply they have written up, everyone knows how the chat muting works and it's not based on violating policies at all, it's purely automated
[23:00] <deathkittin> They must think we are totally gullible
[23:01] <deathkittin> "Our servers are outfitted with a functionality that temporarily suspends chat privileges from players which have violated one or more chat related behavioral policies" ... Right, they have a server that can detect spam, that's why they've said many times that they don't...
[23:02] <Bobkyou> never had a problem with people reporting me in zone chat, in fact don't think I've ever been reported
[23:02] <deathkittin> Barefaced lying.
[23:02] <Dakirn> http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...85#post2393385
[23:03] <deathkittin> omg it's like one half of the GMs are some kind of evil accountants that click autoreply on every message while the PR side on the forum says completely different things from them
[23:03] <Blademage> Denstra isnt in PR tho >.>
[23:04] <deathkittin> that's not the point
[23:04] <deathkittin> they are saying a completely different thing publicly to how they are acting
[23:04] <deathkittin> This reply is only from today too
Lt. Commander
# 20 Yay!
03-18-2010, 04:30 PM
As far as "Fleet spam" is concerned:

A spammer is someone repeating the same thing over and over again several times in a short period.

If someone is advertising his or her fleet every 5 minutes in zone chat and you report it, YOU are in the wrong.

If someone is advertising his or her fleet 5 times a minute in zone chat and you report it, YOU are in the right.

I understand that this policy was just revised, but I think people should still be able to "Report Spam" on users WHO ARE SPAMMING.

Otherwise, if you don't like someone's ad, or you personally feel it is too frequent, then you have the option to /ignore them.

I'm one of the people who was active in spearheading this campaign to stop the abuse of the "Report Spam" feature, and I'm so happy with this thread I could almost cry. That being said, the feature should still be available to report genuine spam, be it a fleet recruiting ad or not. I definitely think Cryptic should redefine "spam" in their ToS/CoC to more adequately reflect what they consider it to be.

Another redefinition that needs to be made is what kind of websites can be put in zone chat without resulting in action against you. IMO, a Fleet website should fall under "fansite" (defined in the ToS/CoC), and fleet recruiters should be free to advertise their fleet website without fear of having their account action-ed.

This is my two-cents on the subject.
Closed Thread