Lt. Commander
# 21
03-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Report spammer is a good start, in that it both reports the spammer, and adds them to your ignore list, but can we go one step further, and delete all occurrences of their messages in your chat inbox as well, please.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
Hey All,

The automatic spam moderating system has been improved once again!

The number of spammers should go down significantly in the near future (though many claim it already has).

The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only. Remember, the GMs still review the reports that are generated when you use this functionality, so every time you report someone, we see your name and the line of chat you reported as spam. This means that abuse is very clear. If you see or hear of players abusing it, there is no need to let us know; we will see the automatic reports as they come.

Abusing the system will result in severe penalties against your account. With great power comes great responsibility. Your cooperation is required to fight against the spammers, so please do your part and only use it for legitimate reasons.
Have you added the offending Website addresses to the filter / spam sniffer function? Seems like that would be the best way since the whole point of their spam is to advertise for those sites and would destroy the value of their spam (to the spammers) by disallowing it from being distributed in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daede View Post
As far as "Fleet spam" is concerned:

A spammer is someone repeating the same thing over and over again several times in a short period.

If someone is advertising his or her fleet every 5 minutes in zone chat and you report it, YOU are in the wrong.

If someone is advertising his or her fleet 5 times a minute in zone chat and you report it, YOU are in the right.

I understand that this policy was just revised, but I think people should still be able to "Report Spam" on users WHO ARE SPAMMING.

Otherwise, if you don't like someone's ad, or you personally feel it is too frequent, then you have the option to /ignore them.

I'm one of the people who was active in spearheading this campaign to stop the abuse of the "Report Spam" feature, and I'm so happy with this thread I could almost cry. That being said, the feature should still be available to report genuine spam, be it a fleet recruiting ad or not. I definitely think Cryptic should redefine "spam" in their ToS/CoC to more adequately reflect what they consider it to be.

Another redefinition that needs to be made is what kind of websites can be put in zone chat without resulting in action against you. IMO, a Fleet website should fall under "fansite" (defined in the ToS/CoC), and fleet recruiters should be free to advertise their fleet website without fear of having their account action-ed.

This is my two-cents on the subject.
Just thought I'd p oint out that my one was nothing to do with fleets, it was in fact REALLY innocuous, check out the pastebin link... I was in a good mood and upon people talking about causality and simply said something silly jokingly about the possibility for infinite numbers of kittens and tribbles (the whole "spheres" universe theory) and someone decided they would abuse the report spam button so I got banned from chat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkittin View Post
[22:54] <deathkittin> WHAT THE HELL
[22:54] <deathkittin> Thank you for contacting us. Our servers are outfitted with a functionality that temporarily suspends chat privileges from players which have violated one or more chat related behavioral policies. As this is the first instance for which you have been silenced on this account, we have opted to remove it ahead of schedule. Please understand that this is an exception, should you be silenced again it will last for the <<-cut>}
[22:54] <deathkittin> {<cut->> entire duration. Policies are available online: Champions Online: http://champions-online.com/support/policies/behavior Star Trek Online: http://startrekonline.com/support/policies/behavior Thank you for your patience and understanding with this.
[22:55] <deathkittin> Since when does "being reported by random idiots" mean "violating chat related behavioral policies"?
[22:55] <deathkittin> prev response was [05:23] <+Cryptic_DScotty> I am not particularly familiar with the reporting system - we have a different QA team that handles that with Customer Service >[05:23] <+Cryptic_DScotty> What I can do is bring it up with them, tomorrow morning. >[05:24] <+Cryptic_DScotty> It seems like a systemic problem with the spam system, so I'll make sure they take a look at it
[22:56] <deathkittin> I didn't actually spam tho
[22:56] <deathkittin> said that yesterday
[22:56] <Bobkyou> it takes a lot of people reporting someone for the spam button to silence a person, so either you annoyed a ton of people in zone chat or maybe a guild was griefing you
[22:57] <deathkittin> http://pastebin.com/w7MJEBkG
[22:57] <deathkittin> look at that
[22:57] <deathkittin> I can't believe this
[22:57] <deathkittin> Are they honestly saying 2 lines of text is spamming?
[22:58] <deathkittin> Saying something that someone decides to maliciously report simply because they don't like it is against the rules now? wow.
[22:58] <deathkittin> I really hope this is some kind of misunderstanding...
[22:58] <deathkittin> It wouldn't be the first time the GMs have not bothered to read a ticket through and replied weirdly
[23:00] <deathkittin> What really gets me is the pure BS in the form reply they have written up, everyone knows how the chat muting works and it's not based on violating policies at all, it's purely automated
[23:00] <deathkittin> They must think we are totally gullible
[23:01] <deathkittin> "Our servers are outfitted with a functionality that temporarily suspends chat privileges from players which have violated one or more chat related behavioral policies" ... Right, they have a server that can detect spam, that's why they've said many times that they don't...
[23:02] <Bobkyou> never had a problem with people reporting me in zone chat, in fact don't think I've ever been reported
[23:02] <deathkittin> Barefaced lying.
[23:02] <Dakirn> http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...85#post2393385
[23:03] <deathkittin> omg it's like one half of the GMs are some kind of evil accountants that click autoreply on every message while the PR side on the forum says completely different things from them
[23:03] <Blademage> Denstra isnt in PR tho >.>
[23:04] <deathkittin> that's not the point
[23:04] <deathkittin> they are saying a completely different thing publicly to how they are acting
[23:04] <deathkittin> This reply is only from today too
Lt. Commander
# 24 Absolutely amazing...
03-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkittin
I was in a good mood and upon people talking about causality and simply said something silly jokingly about the possibility for infinite numbers of kittens and tribbles (the whole "spheres" universe theory) and someone decided they would abuse the report spam button so I got banned from chat...
I read your entire log, that's pretty messed up.
How long did it take for you to get your silence lifted?

Check THIS out:

[3/18 19:53] [Zone] Garrett JaX@Daede: I am very happy today. There was a GM post on the forums, all you IDIOTS who think it's cool to report fleet advertisers as spam will start having your accounts actioned for it.
[3/18 19:53] [Zone] Garrett JaX@Daede: so please, continue to be idiots
[3/18 19:53] [Zone #15] Deputy_Dog@Deputy_Dog: Actioned?
[3/18 19:54] [Zone] Garrett JaX@Daede: as in "you'll get in trouble for it"
[3/18 19:54] [Zone #19] Spok@ruger392: pah, garret YOUR the idiot
[3/18 19:54] [Zone] Garrett JaX@Daede: if i'm the idiot, then why does cryptic agree with me and not you?
[3/18 19:54] [System] You have been flagged as a spammer. A customer service representative has been notified. You may chat again in 24 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds.

WOW, REALLY?!?!?!?

Some people are REALLY REALLY stupid.

------------------------------
Ticket Reason: Silence Violation/Abuse
Handle of user: @Daede
Hi. I was silenced for pretty much nothing about an hour ago. You can review the logs and see that this is clear abuse of the silence feature, especially given the new rules governing it. Please remove my silence as soon as possible and action those responsible.
Thank you for your time,
- @Daede
------------------------------
[3/18 20:49] [System] [TicketCreated] Successfully submitted ticket ID #756,208.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Just thought I'd p oint out that my one was nothing to do with fleets, it was in fact REALLY innocuous, check out the pastebin link... I was in a good mood and upon people talking about causality and simply said something silly jokingly about the possibility for infinite numbers of kittens and tribbles (the whole "spheres" universe theory) and someone decided they would abuse the report spam button so I got banned from chat...
Its what happend to me... I think I'm not sure (since you never find out what the offence is) - but submit a GM ticket right away (if they are around they remove the locks "if" its deemed that it wan't an offense).

I'm hoping that's where the second part of the GMs post comes into affect - reporting for unecessary things will come back to get you. Since I've already covered enough on this topic for one day - I'll just leave it at that and see if the new filter / check system works for a few days.

It does seem that the new kick on Sol is to report players for spam for no reason - but I'm willing to see if this action solves the problem
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-18-2010, 06:03 PM
my message says "Please understand that this is an exception, should you be silenced again it will last for the entire duration" which seems to conflict with what devs have said on chat and Destra's message here... It's like there's no communication between departments and the GMs are just making up their own rules as they go along....

Mine took around 15 hours (out of 24) before they finally even did that too
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Quote:
my message says "Please understand that this is an exception, should you be silenced again it will last for the entire duration" which seems to conflict with what devs have said on chat and Destra's message here... It's like there's no communication between departments and the GMs are just making up their own rules as they go along....

Mine took around 15 hours (out of 24) before they finally even did that too
My silence was lifted a little over an hour after I filed my ticket. The response I recieved was very alarming:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting us. Our servers are outfitted with a functionality that temporarily suspends chat privileges from players which have violated one or more chat related behavioral policies. As this is the first instance for which you have been silenced on this account, we have opted to remove it ahead of schedule. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience this has brought you. Policies are available online: Champions Online: http://champions-online.com/support/policies/behavior Star Trek Online: http://startrekonline.com/support/policies/behavior Thank you for your patience and understanding with this.
Okay...

1) I've been silenced twice before. Once because I was being a douchebag in zone chat, and once because I wanted to see exactly how many /ignore's it took on the same line of text to get a silence.
2) This message contradicts the policy set forth at the beginning of the thread. You know, the one that says "Report Spam is only to be used to report real money transaction.." you get the idea.
3) A conversation took place not long after I filed my ticket (but before it was answered) between myself, a Cryptic dev (whose name I am not going to mention. Despite this altercation, I think this man does a great job, and I see no point in smearing his name), and several other people where I was basically told that had I not been so rude in zone chat I wouldn't have been silenced. He then went on to tell me that had I used some tact, he may have removed my silence, but he decided not to because I was rude in zone chat.

Now, I want to talk about this.

If I say something incredibly rude in zone chat, and I get reported for it, the reporter is in the wrong, regardless. Therefore any action automatically taken against me should be immediately reversed. If it is then determined that I myself am guilty of an infraction, then action me for that, and I will accept it. What I won't accept is being a victim of abuse, and being told by a member of Cryptic's staff that my victimization will continue because I was rude to or offended the abuser (before or after the fact does not matter).

I have to tell you, I took my credit card off the account and hovered my finger over the "Cancel Subscription" for a good hour over this. Had my fleet not asked me to stay, I wouldn't even be typing this, now.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only.

Abusing the system will result in severe penalties against your account. With great power comes great responsibility. Your cooperation is required to fight against the spammers, so please do your part and only use it for legitimate reasons..

I happen to agree with the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daede
As far as "Fleet spam" is concerned:

A spammer is someone repeating the same thing over and over again several times in a short period.

If someone is advertising his or her fleet every 5 minutes in zone chat and you report it, YOU are in the wrong.

If someone is advertising his or her fleet 5 times a minute in zone chat and you report it, YOU are in the right.

Are we going to be penalized for reporting someone for spamming the zone with their fleet?
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
i've seen people complaining about normal conversation in zone chat as spam lol.

but spam has been better in ssol, earth space dock and sirius.

haven't noticed it anywhere else ever.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
i've seen people complaining about normal conversation in zone chat as spam lol.

but spam has been better in ssol, earth space dock and sirius.

haven't noticed it anywhere else ever.
I saw some zone gold selling spam in Alpha Centauri sector. Never anywhere else than that and the places you mentioned though.
Closed Thread