Lt. Commander
This was one of the more depressing mission endings in the game. If anything, this deserves to be a minigame where we should be given a chance to succeed at least to some degree:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science BO, on Random Mission in the Afehirr Nebula
"Captain, it appears that the transporter's pattern buffer was damaged in the landquake. There are traces of the researches patterns here, but they are too degraded to retrieve.

They are gone sir. I will contact the <YourShipName> and have them transmit a message to Starfleet. The researchers' families need to be told."
Missions like these need some kind of puzzle solving (non-timed) minigame, started off a transporter console somewhere in the cave or off the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-17-2010, 01:51 PM
You know... first of all, you're right and I'd love to see this added to the game. Secondly, however, I'd also like to be able to continue the mission to actually go and visit the families of those Researchers to give them Starfleet's condolences personally, it would add a required layer of roleplaying to the game!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
You know... first of all, you're right and I'd love to see this added to the game. Secondly, however, I'd also like to be able to continue the mission to actually go and visit the families of those Researchers to give them Starfleet's condolences personally, it would add a required layer of roleplaying to the game!
That's a great idea with a little more impact than wondering from computer console to computer console.

And I think some mini-games would indeed be a great addition, too. Mass Effect 1 and 2 had some nice approaches to that, I think.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I agree with both of these ideas. Good ideas guys!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I too felt there was more potential here. It seemed gimmicky to just reference lore like that and not allow me to interact with their fate in someway.

All I could say was... "too bad Scotty wasn't around... half of them might have made it."
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Well personally I liked this mission when I first found it. Not everything should have a happy ending and this helps keep the world feeling more immersive.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmak
I too felt there was more potential here. It seemed gimmicky to just reference lore like that and not allow me to interact with their fate in someway.

All I could say was... "too bad Scotty wasn't around... half of them might have made it."
Are you sure? The last time* Scotty stored the crew in the transporter buffer, he was the only one to make it out alive, wasn't he?

(*TNG episode with the Dyson Sphere...)
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Are you sure? The last time* Scotty stored the crew in the transporter buffer, he was the only one to make it out alive, wasn't he?

(*TNG episode with the Dyson Sphere...)
2 went in, one came out... so like I said... half : )
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmak
2 went in, one came out... so like I said... half : )
Which reminds me of the famous joke: "Scotty, a RedShirt and an Orion Slave Girl all go into the transporter buffer....", darn, I always forget how it goes from there...