Lt. Commander
So, I'm a mite concerned that in any ground arena match (admittedly I'm playing in the LtCmdr bracket so not high end for sure, but PvP is still PvP) - I can be weapon exposed for 20 seconds (an eternity in PvP), and once the countdown has expired weapon exposed again, so I'm left with rifle butting while the innumerable holds, stuns and disabling abilities keep me routed while I get cut down to pieces.

CC in various kinds is a fantastic addition and extra 'condition' to consider in PvP, but the duration of them, lack of cost (such as cooldown, etc) and the ability to consistently chain CC someone with little hope of escape is frustrating to no end.

My initial suggestion would be to lower the duration of weapon malfunction to 12 seconds, and make subsequent applications last for less time (and let this subsequent application last through death for, say, a minute from first application) - or an alternative would be to make weapon malfunction apply to the weapon in the currently active slot, and allow the second equipped weapon to continue working, while that 20 seconds or so continues. I think that Statis Field is fine, I'm concerned about the effectiveness of some of the other disabling abilities, though. Unlike with weapons malfunction, I don't know how to constructively suggest an alteration, so I guess I'll leave that to others who wish to chime in.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Weapons malfunction can be removed by another engineer ability if someone on your team has it. Since it only affects 1 target its not exactly damning. If you get malfunctioned, then help your team in another way, say by being a target or melee spamming.

I could get on board with an immunity timer though, after it runs the duration, so you can't keep the same target malfunctioned indefinitely. But as far as I remember, the skill also has a built in chance to only run for 5s too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Weapons malfunction can be removed by another engineer ability if someone on your team has it. Since it only affects 1 target its not exactly damning. If you get malfunctioned, then help your team in another way, say by being a target or melee spamming.

I could get on board with an immunity timer though, after it runs the duration, so you can't keep the same target malfunctioned indefinitely. But as far as I remember, the skill also has a built in chance to only run for 5s too.
That'd be true if there was enough on the opposing team. I just zoned into an arena with me against 5 klingons.

Fun times! ><
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuur View Post
That'd be true if there was enough on the opposing team. I just zoned into an arena with me against 5 klingons.

Fun times! ><
Well that's a separate issue but its pretty cruel to do that to someone who is hopelessly outnumbered. I see that more often with hold and melee spam though, which is also sad.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2010, 07:55 PM
From personal experience, there are diminishing returns on Weapon Malfunction. I admit it can be a frustrating ability, but you either need to change roles to support or melee spam when it happens.

On the plus side, I don't think it hurts your ability to use fists. I would actually like to see a melee slot added to our weapon choices, for a total of three weapon choices, or a fist option that is always there to cycle to. It just seems silly that we forget how to use our fists if we are carrying two weapons...
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrishmal View Post
From personal experience, there are diminishing returns on Weapon It just seems silly that we forget how to use our fists if we are carrying two weapons...
Thats because we only have one holster. No where to put that second gun :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Weapons Malfunction puts a resist on after it expires. If you use it on someone with the resist, it lasts a much shorter duration. Looking at my Lt. Cmdr's WM II, it's 15 second duration, then applies resist (don't know the duration of the resist). If I use it on someone with resistance, it lasts 4.9 seconds (15 second recharge on the ability). In PVP, it's harder to be careful about whether your target still has resistance or not, so it can be better to use it on different people during a single fight.

On my tactical, I thought the ability was both terrible and wonderful, because it put me out of commission for 20 or more seconds (which made a strong shift in the battle). Then I heard engineers could remove the debuff (most just don't use those kits), so I think it's an okay power.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuur View Post
My initial suggestion would be to lower the duration of weapon malfunction to 12 seconds, and make subsequent applications last for less time (and let this subsequent application last through death for, say, a minute from first application) - or an alternative would be to make weapon malfunction apply to the weapon in the currently active slot, and allow the second equipped weapon to continue working, while that 20 seconds or so continues.
Have you ever used it as an engineer? Do you know about the skill in any way other than being on the receiving end of it in PvP?

Weapons malfunction is not broken, it is a zero damage ability against a single opponent that requires quite a skill points investment to use effectively in PvP at higher level. The duration appears to be dependent upon the amount of skill points spent towards enhancing the ability. I am not sure you are offering a constructive discussion regarding weapons malfunction, because it is unclear if you really know what you are talking about.

As both a RA Fed Engineer and BG Klingon Engineer, I have a lot of experience in PvP with weapons malfunction, and I can tell you that the ability itself is not the problem. The problem is Equipment Diagnostics, which is the engineer ability that cures weapons malfunction. The cool down on Equipment Diagnostics is longer than weapons malfunction.

In PvP it means this. If a PvP opponent hits me with weapons malfunction, I can remove it from myself with equipment diagnostics. That PvP opponent can then hit someone else with weapons malfunction, but it will be several more seconds before my cool down of equipment diagnostics is finished before I could potentially remove the weapons malfunction from that person. Because the equipment diagnostics has a much longer cool down than weapons malfunction, as an engineer I am discouraged from helping a team mate because I may need it for myself - after all the guy who is throwing weapons malfunction around can use weapons malfunction twice during the period it takes to identify and use equipment diagnostics.

If equipment diagnostics had the same cool down as weapons malfunction, more people would use the technician kit thus the weapons malfunction ability wouldn't noticeably impact so many people. As it is the equipment diagnostics cool down is so long no one is ever going to help another player once they get hit with weapons malfunction.

The only balance issue with weapons malfunction is the long cool down of equipment diagnostics, not anything related to weapons malfunction itself. The long cool down discourages an engineer from helping someone else hit with weapons malfunction. The result is, everyone who isn't an engineer hit with weapons malfunction gets to run around unable to shoot while they are the target of a weapons malfunction using engineer.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Players who utilize the engineer class for solely for ground combat is a head ache to fight.

Especially if they have the right traits and points into ground skills, engineers can provide many roles, that will definitely take out/prevent the opposing team from doing any real damage.

For example, I would face an engineer, and I would be subjected to weapons malfunctions, every single time. No one else, but me. (Keeps me from pistol stunning players, and Split beaming when exploited) (I change kits so I can provide more for the team, since stealthing isn't any good)

Turrets phasing u in the back, is no fun either, mines to slow u down, so u can 't get away....mines that follows....wtf

Armor fused....and the engineer can see stealth players...haha...makes for an interesting fight.

I don't see a problem with the time, or engineer kits, players who knows how to play their engineers are dangerous, with the right "team"
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
I have no issues with it.I just deal with it and move on.Gah i cant melee spam.Staying alive isnt THAT important.Alive long enough to get points and win the match.I got npcs,heals, and abilities i can use as well as plenty of cover to hide behind.Yes engineer for ground is a pain to fight ,so get some friends to take them out.After getting whacked a few times they wil either be a good sport and stick around or rage quit.LOL!