Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
Okay, Feds get a bonus for NOT firing first.

Klingons get a bonus FOR firing first.

Sound fair?

Where are the Klingon emotes? {{:-(

PvE, so easy a Fedrat can do it.
Sure, because it is always about how the Federation can beat the crap out of the Klingons.

I am mostly a PVE player, and that won't change much, I suspect. I dislike it when my best option always is too shoot first at other ships in missions. It's about facilitating the Starfleet theme of exploration and diplomacy. At least give me the illusion that I am the good guy that won't just kill people because they are in the way.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The game has - not really surprisingly - a strong combat focus. Still, there are a few scenarios and situations where it seems that - as Utopian as they are - the Federation ideals aren't really held up, and Starfleet comes off as an agressor. Most of that is part of the mission design, but I wonder if one couldn't also create a game mechanic reflecting this theme?

Normally in combat, it is best to take the initative and fire the first shot. But that doesn't really fit the way Starfleet ship traditionally acted - typically, they react with force only when attacked first. So, to facilitate that - give a Starfleet ship that didn't fire yet a defensive bonus, maybe damage resistence or just a greater miss-chance, an ability to negate or shorten the duration of enemy attacks.
In a way, it would be the counter of the Klingon out-of-combat cloak - without removing the general advantages of cloak. There should also probably be an offensive penalty when you shoot under this "Federation Peace Flag" before anyone has attacked you...

From a pure roleplaying perspective, it creates a good reason to not come in guns blazing...
That's a really creative and interesting idea. I like it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Make green yellow and red allert ppl!!! like sfc (1-3) for example green alert would make it easier for crusing packing energy to engines and auxiliary not to shields and weapons. Yellow ads shields and red ads weapons redistributing the energy - you can get your buff with more energy to the shields you get less damage-i think this is perfect sollution for sto (with its "energy distributin" system) .And you get your deffensive mind set satisfied-without canceling cloak bonus. Also scanners could get some ideas but not in this topic :]
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I like It! I do feel kinda dirty as a Fed and guns always blazing.
Make it so!:p

/Tugsdowntshirt
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-24-2010, 06:09 AM
The bonus should be a chance for a dialog with the ship. They should have quests to go over and help repair the enemy ship, cure a illness, or whatever. The Feds help the bad guys all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
It just occured to me that such bonus/penalties could also apply to other factions.

I mean, sure, Klingons got cloaking as their "unique" feature. But if Romulans are ever added, it's not unique anymore. But the real thing Klingons have going for them, thematically, is their honor.

Honor could work like a bonus against higher level enemies and a penalty to lower level enemies - giving incentives to the Klingon to pick a truely worthy foe.

Romulans could in fact have the opposite. Always kicking the guys that are already down, capitalizing their weak spots. Of course, that might just be the Klingon propagando at work here... Feel free to come up with something better. (In TNG, they claimed Romulans prefer to react rather than taking the initiative... Which would be basically like the Federation... Hmm.)