Lt. Commander
# 1 Immersion?
03-19-2010, 09:51 AM
So this might be pushing the bounds of Ten Forward discussions, but I would hate to have to deal with all the slobbering tards in the actual discussion forum.

Hasn't the "immersion card" be negated by the fact that they specifically want things that are fundamentally counter to the immersion argument?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
And the grid lines in sector space or mindlessly slaughtering (although fun) droves of every alien species imaginable doesn't? If one person mention how swimwear will break their immersion I am going to turn them into a human mailbox and give all the spammers their address :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaelinTerenes
So this might be pushing the bounds of Ten Forward discussions, but I would hate to have to deal with all the slobbering tards in the actual discussion forum.

Hasn't the "immersion card" be negated by the fact that they specifically want things that are fundamentally counter to the immersion argument?
?

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow you there.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
yes, it is no longer appropriate to play the "immersion card." The times; they are a changin'.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
And the grid lines in sector space or mindlessly slaughtering (although fun) droves of every alien species imaginable doesn't? If one person mention how swimwear will break their immersion I am going to turn them into a human mailbox and give all the spammers their address :p
I specifically like how making a living being forget everything they ever learned, and then retraining them in seconds with a lifetime of knowledge is so necessary for their "immersion".

Or being able to refit an entire starship in seconds, thats immersive too right?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
I specifically like how making a living being forget everything they ever learned, and then retraining them in seconds with a lifetime of knowledge is so necessary for their "immersion".

Or being able to refit an entire starship in seconds, thats immersive too right?
My point exactly. Above all else it is a game and immersion will always yield to fun (within reason).
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:

Its true.

And not just for the 'immersion' issue, people have this double standard for all kinds of pat 'iWant-in-a-box' arguments that they pull out like disposable ammo.

Thats partially due to human nature, we have a psychological tendency towards a double standard if it gets us what we want.

On a side note, there are some definite immersion breakers I'd like toggles for (such a sector grids.)
But there are other things like choice of clothing that are going to require imagination and tolerance to roll with.

Not a toggle switch.

In the end there is also something of a vagueness about the word 'immersion' as it means different things to different people.

'Immersion' also definitely has to yield to overall fun and game mechanics.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
In the end there is also something of a vagueness about the word 'immersion' as it means different things to different people.

'Immersion' also definitely has to yield to overall fun and game mechanics.
This ^ ..right here.

Everything depends on your interpretation on what "immersion" is. For some, any break from reality is all they need to achieve it. For others it's reality that breaks thier immersion.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecanis View Post
This ^ ..right here.

Everything depends on your interpretation on what "immersion" is. For some, any break from reality is all they need to achieve it. For others it's reality that breaks thier immersion.
Yep!

Take me for example; Do I really want shield rings and sector space grid to go away? yes

Do they bog down my ability to immerse myself? yes

Do they stop me from enjoying the game anyways as-is? no

For others the answer to that last question may be 'yes' instead.... it really all depends.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Yep!

Take me for example; Do I really want shield rings and sector space grid to go away? yes

Do they bog down my ability to immerse myself? yes

Do they stop me from enjoying the game anyways as-is? no

For others the answer to that last question may be 'yes' instead.... it really all depends.
Yes, depends mostly on what Forum you frequent it seems I think we need more dance party invasions for the other threads to loosen them up.