Lt. Commander
# 11
03-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Yes, depends mostly on what Forum you frequent it seems I think we need more dance party invasions for the other threads to loosen them up.
I agree 100%
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaelinTerenes
So this might be pushing the bounds of Ten Forward discussions, but I would hate to have to deal with all the slobbering tards in the actual discussion forum.

Hasn't the "immersion card" be negated by the fact that they specifically want things that are fundamentally counter to the immersion argument?
STO is an arcade game MMO, if you want a sci-fi MMO with immersion play Eve (space really IS huge there).
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-19-2010, 10:50 AM
An immersion bit my sister.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedryn View Post
STO is an arcade game MMO, if you want a sci-fi MMO with immersion play Eve (space really IS huge there).
EVE would be considered to have more immersion sure, but less fun. Tried it, kinda liked it, got screwed over, left.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-19-2010, 10:58 AM
To be Sirius for just a moment, since this is a topic that I'm actually interested in:

My biggest problem with the Immersion-Advocates is that they can't agree on what causes their immersion.

Some people thought that pink phasers broke immersion, while other thought that phasers have been different colors throughout the series. (In the end, I think the PvP crowd made the most valid point in the entire argument.)

Some people think casual wear on a space station breaks their immersion, but there are bars/social areas on space stations. (And frankly, going into a bar wearing full dress uniform is usually frowned upon by your superiors.)

Bottom line: You can't make everyone happy all the time. People want different things from this game and have different expectations. Anyone who feels they are justified in forcing their ideas/playstyle on the entire game population is seriously deluded.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck
To be Sirius for just a moment, since this is a topic that I'm actually interested in:

My biggest problem with the Immersion-Advocates is that they can't agree on what causes their immersion.

Some people thought that pink phasers broke immersion, while other thought that phasers have been different colors throughout the series. (In the end, I think the PvP crowd made the most valid point in the entire argument.)

Some people think casual wear on a space station breaks their immersion, but there are bars/social areas on space stations. (And frankly, going into a bar wearing full dress uniform is usually frowned upon by your superiors.)

Bottom line: You can't make everyone happy all the time. People want different things from this game and have different expectations. Anyone who feels they are justified in forcing their ideas/playstyle on the entire game population is seriously deluded.
But the main point I am getting at, is that I am tired of people giving no justification for wanting something, expect "but its for IMMERSION"

Your 2 points at least have justification.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaelinTerenes
EVE would be considered to have more immersion sure, but less fun. Tried it, kinda liked it, got screwed over, left.
Oh, I understand Eve isn't for everyone. However, as far as how CCP represented space, and the scales of everything in the game, it is far and away more immersive to me than STO.

I only started playing Eve *after* STO launched. The idea of 'playing as a ship' just never really appealed to me. After playing STO I decided to give it a shot (it was cheap, and available on Steam so I figured why not). From the first moment I was in awe at what they had done. Space is friggen HUGE, ships are detailed and scaled well, I love the skill/training system (you CANT power through that game) and I have always preferred sand box architectures for MMOs. The graphics are utterly stunning too, stars are fully rendered light sources...completely amazing looking.

Now, for every hour a week I spend in STO, I spend 3-4 hours in Eve. It's just a better designed sci-fi MMO engine.

This is just a standard Crytpic offering, they don't do 'epic' or deep, they do simple, fast, fun. I knew that going in, so Iím not disappointed, but long term? Cryptic games never hold me for more than a couple of months max, while complex MMOs like Eve will hold me for years.

Disclaimer: I am definitely NOT a trekkie, so the Star Trek name means little to nothing as far as my enjoyment of a game goes (YMMV). This is just another sci-fi MMO, and from that stand point Eve does do it significantly better.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Since immersion can be also defined as suspension of disbelief, i need only to point you to the movie realm where, though fun, the transformers movies, by concensus, do not allow you to suspend your disbelief to the point where you believe that the giant robots are anything other than flashy bits of cgi.

In Avatar, the movie does a slightly better job of making you believe in the characters performance, and yet,by consensus, you always have a "how did they do that" in the back of your head, and usually only get drawn into the performance of the characters about 80 percent of the time.

lastly, Toy story. Yes its a kids film, yes it has to do with toys being alive, and yet, audiences are drawn into the 'performance' by the enjoyment factor. This movie proves that things do not have to be remotly lifelike, or realistic to get people to drop thier guard, and allow themselves to be fully immersed in something. It goes to say that the two previously mentioned films, one of which was live ation, the other was a perfomance captured cgi flic, rated lower for audience "immersion"

in games, it does not matter how realistic, or canon something is; if it is enjoyable, it will immerse.

Lt. Commander
# 19
03-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck
This is because, as others have said in this thread, immersion means something different to everyone in the world.

Quote:
For me, hot pink or lime green phasers do break immersion, though I have auto-grouping off so I didn't have to worry about it. I'm one of those strange people, though, who will only outfit my ship with phasers and either photon or quantum torpedoes, even if I loot something better.

Quote:
I think those people are more worried about the possibility of someone wearing revealing swimwear on a space station than just casual wear. I can't say I blame them, either. Shipboard casual wear is canon, there are several episodes where people are wearing civilian clothes while on the ship. I'm pretty certain that when casual wear is introduced, a bunch of people will be fighting the Borg in nothing but hotpants (or their closest equivalent), especially if you can hide your armor like we can now with our uniform.

Quote:
This is quoted for truth. It should be a requirement that people read this before logging into any game and any forum. And if people ignore it, someone should come to their house and tattoo it on them.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
And this brings us back to not everyones definition of immersion is the same. I want to control my ship like I control me ship in single player sci fi ship games (Decent: Freespace or Freelancer). To me, thats not ALL I want, but that is definitely up there on priority.