Lt. Commander
# 21
03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I've never really understood the mentality of pvpers tbh, it always seems to get trapped in a circle of anger.

IE: Noob joins your side of a match, noob dies lots and ends up costing you the match. You then proceed to get very angry over a match you lost on a game; a match that no one will remember a week from now, or even an 5 hours from now. You're getting angry and frustrated over literally nothing.

Further, as you become angry and frustrated, you begin to alienate the rest of the gaming group, eventually causing the more causal players to stop pvping all together. Eventually, you end up with a select handful of people on both sides that play pvp.

You then proceed to get angry and frustrated over the fact that no one else is pvping, as it would seem that you've forgotten that you've driven them all away from pvp with your "I must always win" attitude.

Seriously, it's just a game.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Xomic View Post
I've never really understood the mentality of pvpers tbh, it always seems to get trapped in a circle of anger.

IE: Noob joins your side of a match, noob dies lots and ends up costing you the match. You then proceed to get very angry over a match you lost on a game; a match that no one will remember a week from now, or even an 5 hours from now. You're getting angry and frustrated over literally nothing.

Further, as you become angry and frustrated, you begin to alienate the rest of the gaming group, eventually causing the more causal players to stop pvping all together. Eventually, you end up with a select handful of people on both sides that play pvp.

You then proceed to get angry and frustrated over the fact that no one else is pvping, as it would seem that you've forgotten that you've driven them all away from pvp with your "I must always win" attitude.

Lord i couldn't agree with you more. I typically usually hate pvp games in most mmo's for that reason. However with that said I understand that pvp'rs are just naturually more competitive then the general population. I am an old high school jock who now is a Jr. High soccer, sorry, football for all my european friends, and Ref three other sports at the jr, high school and college levels. So i have a pretty competitive nature.

Even as highly competitive I usually stay away from pvp on most mmo's. It just usually ends up boiling down to a lot of griefing, yelling, and arguments. The only other pvp game i have come to love is a game called battleground europe. A complete WWII simulation. The reason I love it besides it's just great fun is the two opposing sides can't talk to one another. They can't send each other tells, yell comments, insults, or anything in open chat. It just comes across as scrambled letters. I really enjoy that feature, wish it was implemented here. I would love not being able to hear what the enemy yells in open chat. Would cut down on a lot of whining.

What i think cryptic has done that I really like is it doesn't matter if you win or lose. I have yet to see a mmo that rewards both sides no matter who wins or loses. If you die you still get your skill points, badges, etc. I really think that goes a long way to just trying to create an atmosphere that is just all about fun. So it's beyond me why people have to scream and yell, cry, get angry or frustrated. I love those matches where everyone just yells, gga.

think about it. we all just waisted 20 minutes of our lives when we could be out curing cancer.. It's not like we are doing anything really meaningful except just escape the real world for a few hours and help line the pockets of cryptic executives.. = ).
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:

I've actually pvp'd in like games for years now. WoW put the must always win attitude in alot of people when you really did have to always win to achieve the highest ranks in a literal competition. Alot of people have never recovered from that mindset. With the pvp in this game set up as it is now, I'm dissapointed if I always win or alway loose. In this game I find it most fun to sometimes win and sometimes loose.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaxitov View Post
I've actually pvp'd in like games for years now. WoW put the must always win attitude in alot of people when you really did have to always win to achieve the highest ranks in a literal competition. Alot of people have never recovered from that mindset. With the pvp in this game set up as it is now, I'm dissapointed if I always win or alway loose. In this game I find it most fun to sometimes win and sometimes loose.
It has been around as long as competition itself.

There is nothing wrong with always playing to win, the problem is specific to those who don't know how to handle losing.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmvor
I see this a lot more on the klingon side of things just because the nature of some of the pvp missions. I run one fed and two klinks. When i am pvping on the klink side i often see individuals jump in and not participate or help their team just cause they have to die 25 times. You often here them say, well i only have to die x amount more times. I have engaged many such people that just stand there and don't even fight back.

I receive these missions as well but always help my team and fight. I know i'm going to die durning the course of the match. Sometimes more than others. I typically much prefer ground pvp over space, i feel there is a lot more imbalance in space pvp over ground. The first ground match i barely broke even, i got 7 kills with 6th deaths. The very next match i ended up with 30 kills and 2 deaths. It's just the nature of the team you end up on in pug's. I am a very good ground pvp but it's just the nature of the beast sometimes you end up outnumbered, may spawn several times in the middle of multiple enemy's etc.

So since your going to die anyway, why must you stand there, get killed over and over and not help your team. This drives me absolutely crazy when i'm pvping on the klingon side. Which is why i feel the boot option would be nice. Those types of people need a quick exit from the match.

The only time I have ever followed the "Oh I guess I'm going to die, I'll just sit here until the end of the match" is when I'm the only one in the zone, and there are 5 klingons. lol.

I've had a couple matches where I've jumped in, and I'll do a /who just to see if this match might be somewhat balanced. (I.E. 3 v 3, ect.) Instead, it'll show up that I'm the only fed player and there are 3 to 5 klingons. In that case, I will usually make a zone broadcast, stating that I'm the only fed player and that they are more than welcome to kill me until the match is over.

With queue lengths being what they are, I cannot fault the Klingon players on a broken match making system, or the fact that other fed players that might have been queued, bailed. With the exception of assault missions, even the losing faction get's something so I'll just stick around, take my shields offline and let them destroy me. lol.

In some cases, the Klingons are understanding and we've even done like mini games within the pvp match. One on one matches, ect. Other times, there are players that just don't care and will destroy me with no regard. They just want to get it over with. But, that is the only time I've ever deliberatly not tried to fight back.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Quote:

Way to lump a bunch of players into one type. You do not truly believe that PVPers as a general rule are not out for fun do you? PVPers like having new players in a game, more targets=more fun. The OP isnt even talking about this type of player. He was mentioning the idiots that ruin a match, the ones that stand around and die on purpose just to complete some quest or get the points, or the feds that enter into an arena and broadcast how they have dropped their shields to "quicken" the match. These are not Noobs, these are players that do not want to be nor should be in PVP. But some ingame mechanic makes them feel they NEED to be, when in fact they do not.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igax View Post
Way to lump a bunch of players into one type. You do not truly believe that PVPers as a general rule are not out for fun do you? PVPers like having new players in a game, more targets=more fun. The OP isnt even talking about this type of player. He was mentioning the idiots that ruin a match, the ones that stand around and die on purpose just to complete some quest or get the points, or the feds that enter into an arena and broadcast how they have dropped their shields to "quicken" the match. These are not Noobs, these are players that do not want to be nor should be in PVP. But some ingame mechanic makes them feel they NEED to be, when in fact they do not.
I hope that you're not referencing me with the "dropping shields to quicken the match" sentence. I only do that when I'm the only Fed in the zone. Hard to upset other players when I'm the only one on that team.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igax View Post
Way to lump a bunch of players into one type. You do not truly believe that PVPers as a general rule are not out for fun do you?
Yes.

I honestly and truly believe that people who spend most of their time pvping do not understand how to have fun playing a game.

And I also believe that pvpers are the cause of their own problems when it comes to overpowered powers or builds, and lack of population.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Yes.

I honestly and truly believe that people who spend most of their time pvping do not understand how to have fun playing a game.

And I also believe that pvpers are the cause of their own problems when it comes to overpowered powers or builds, and lack of population.
at this point, the best i can do is point you out the the Timmy, Johnny, & Spike archetypes of the MTG tcg. All three like to have fun, but how they win comes in different ways

timmy likes to play big creatures
johnny likes to view the connections between cards
spike likes to win

Spike is the competitive player. Spike plays to win. Spike enjoys winning. To accomplish this, Spike will play whatever the best deck is. Spike will copy decks off the Internet. Spike will borrow other players' decks. To Spike, the thrill of Magic is the adrenalin rush of competition. Spike enjoys the stimulation of outplaying the opponent and the glory of victory
~~
now that said if you fail to recognize the similarity there isnt much we can do to convince you.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-24-2010, 07:38 AM
I pvp just to have fun.

Anyways...while playing my klingon, i'm called "coward" for being in cloak, and attacking from, and re-entering cloak, to reposition myself for any incoming "impulse" Fed player.

While playing Star Fleet toon, I'm called a "coward", by the klingons, when I put power to my engines, and evasive man. away from the 5 v 1 skirmish at one of the nodes in C&H map. so my skills can come off cool down, so I can re-enter the fight, at my choosing.

Usually theres always one player who wants to dictate how another player "should" play the pvp match.

Some times, I just want to type in the zone chat "Are you paying the monthly fee for me, so I can play STO?, No? then STFU! You don't tell, me how I want to play."

Of course typing all that out would be a waste of energy, and no fun, as I prefer to play the game, then be antgonize by some ignorant bigot who gets offended easily. And my start crying because his feeling was hurt...or ego. (oh then again, I would have fun doing that too, ****ing someone off, ROFL)