Lt. Commander
Ok i recently just rewatched Star Trek: Nemesis, great movie BTW.

But there is one rather curious thing i noticed while playing STO at the same time, when i first ever got hit by the Thalaron pulse i expected it to just make my crew be instantly killed, or the game equivilent of more then half of my crew dead and or dying.
Not completely blow up an entire ship, since the Thalaron pulse is just a very extreamly deadly form of "radiation" pointed and focused from the Scimitars tips, not a wide ranged gigantic "ship destroying" weapon.

and since Shinzon planned to use this weapon on Earth during Nemesis, was he planning on the effect of the entire earth blowing up dramaticly?
Or just massive loss of life?

I know you try your best Cryptic as anyone would who creates a game of this much scope, im just curious because in the movie Nemesis as shown by the picture in this thread, yes the Romulan leader is dead, but the surrounding enviroment is not obliterated by a gigantic explosion. But on STO this radiation can decide it is a pulse looking torpedo of mass destruction? Move out of the way Quantums I want a Thalaron launcher.

I just hope this thread will be noticed by a Dev and it can be hopefully corrected, because i was expecting my crew and myself included being turned into stone not blowing up.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Well its supposed to destroy organic matter at the subatomic level.
Makes no sense already, why it should only affect organic matter, at the subatomic level it is all the same.
The Scimitar also blew up when Data blew up the Thalaron generator.

hmm *makes up excuse for nonsense writing*

Perhaps it doesnt destroy everything its fire at.
Maybe it destroys like *random number* 1 out of 500 atoms when its fired at something because the particles arnt fired in a very dense beam.
If you fire it at a person it would kill them. If you would fire it at a wall of a building it may just become fragile.

Considering a Starship has a lot of fragile stuff on it, it might blow up starships. (make a tiny hole in a warpcore and it blows up anyway)

I have a headache now.

Bit hard to tell what it is supposed to do if you dont know what Thalaron Radiation actually is.

Also destroying a atom would release energy so the Romulan Senate should have blown up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2010, 12:26 AM
It probably reacts with carbon and hydrogen or something.

Maybe it causes.... erm.. bad bio-oscillating inversions to the double helix of a DNA strand causing it to create a cascade reaction (read: chain reaction) that causes the break down of base, organic proteins and converts it into loose carbon (read: burned toast)

Maybe it makes your soul implode? Who knows.

Honestly though, that beam is too easy to avoid... well in a science ship at least. If you can't out turn it, you can just dive under it.

Wanna cause some sweat, sweat chaos next time you fight on in a fleet? wait for it to start charging, get behind it and hit evasive maneuvers and tractor beam repulse. It's like running down a crowded narrow hallway while holding a burning cooking pot filled with rabid chihuahuas and live hand grenades.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2010, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso

Wanna cause some sweat, sweat chaos next time you fight on in a fleet? wait for it to start charging, get behind it and hit evasive maneuvers and tractor beam repulse. It's like running down a crowded narrow hallway while holding a burning cooking pot filled with rabid chihuahuas and live hand grenades.

I have to admit i will try that, it sounds like excessive fun in a basket of fire:p
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2010, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
Wanna cause some sweat, sweat chaos
qfl

quoted for luls

sweat sweat chaos

i have a horrible feeling that this could become a rap song in the near future.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValinAntilles View Post
qfl

quoted for luls

sweat sweat chaos

i have a horrible feeling that this could become a rap song in the near future.
huh, just goes to show you the dangers of typing at 4 in the morning

It kinda works with the whole chaos thing, antonyms switching placed, dogs meowing, penguins marching across the dessert, COMPLETE ANARCHY!