Lt. Commander
ok so today i notice that there are "free" goodies for people who log into tribble server for an hour or more.

so i thought why not, i have nothing else to do for a bit.

so i log in, get a copy of my toon to tribble etc etc.

load up the game, log in and pick tribble shard. 11GB, the first 10 and a bit gig went as fast as should be expected. but this last 800mb is taking forever i have left my pc on for 6+ hours since and only get 2.4%???

now i know its not my connection at all, no DL limit no lost packets nothing to do with my end. i have tried EU/US and the "none" options for the proxys all for at least 1 hour each and still nothing

so whats the deal? do you limit the ammount for when its "peak" times for the US, so us brits and other european countries get tossed aside???
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeleys
so whats the deal? do you limit the ammount for when its "peak" times for the US, so us brits and other european countries get tossed aside???
Why does it always come down to this?

Think about it. You saw the offer with free goodies and decided to sign up, patch up and play. How many other people do you think are doing the same thing for the same reason? Quite a bit, I would imagine. In addition to this, the prepatching bug is having many people repeatedly patch their holodeck clients.

Infinite bandwidth would be nice, but I don't think that exists.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
Why does it always come down to this?

Think about it. You saw the offer with free goodies and decided to sign up, patch up and play. How many other people do you think are doing the same thing for the same reason? Quite a bit, I would imagine. In addition to this, the prepatching bug is having many people repeatedly patch their holodeck clients.

Infinite bandwidth would be nice, but I don't think that exists.
so what happend when i was able to patch 10 gig in rapid time, compared to this 800mb that has taken well over 6 hours and was only at 2.4% before i closed it???

yes i saw the offer, but that dost change anything. i wanted to "test" out the new stuff, the free offer of a tribble i wont ever use was all i could think about, oh my...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2010, 05:03 PM
You weren't ACTUALLY downloading 10gb. Your "Received:" data is the actual amount you have downloaded and patched to your existing files. Why it slows down at the very end, I really don't know. I'm at around 50% right now, so I'll find out if it does the same for me here in the US soon enough.

And your motives are beside the point. The bottom line is there are ALOT of people patching and getting into Tribble now because of the advertised weekend event. That's all I was trying to say.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
You weren't ACTUALLY downloading 10gb. Your "Received:" data is the actual amount you have downloaded and patched to your existing files. Why it slows down at the very end, I really don't know. I'm at around 50% right now, so I'll find out if it does the same for me here in the US soon enough.

And your motives are beside the point. The bottom line is there are ALOT of people patching and getting into Tribble now because of the advertised weekend event. That's all I was trying to say.
oh and btw my recived v's patched are very,very close to each other. so even if that was the case it just has no affect as to why at the time i was patching all of a sudden ultra-slow download speed???

just incase you missed it that banner has been there since the 18th, so most people would of allready seen it. so a influx of peple trying to download for tribble shard just dosnt make sense, maybe if it was a saturday afternoon. but not a friday afternoon/evening.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Friday afternoon/evening is the perfect time for many. They are getting off work, ready for their weekend - including some quality STO time. (Much like myself). Also, I realize the banner has been up since the 18th, but thats only one day...

In addition to this, I can speak from personal experience here that there is a number of people online in STO that are just learning about the offer. Several fleetmates were asking me about it earlier when I mentioned it. "How do you get the perks"? "...So how do I sign up for Tribble"? etc. etc.

I actually signed up for Tribble lastnight, but was unable to access it until very recently as my 12 month subscription package has been... amiss, and I've been playing thanks to temporary solutions applied to my account by Cryptic.

EDIT: btw, these are my current numbers:

Patched: 10.18GB/ 11GB
Received: 774.5MB - 93%
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Press X to open the transfer debug dialog and post a screenshot of what is in flight.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Press X to open the transfer debug dialog and post a screenshot of what is in flight.
i could do that, or i could ask why it's patching at the same speed it was earlier, all of a sudden,after a cryptic employee saw my post???

*paranormal music*

strange...it has patched that last 800mb in about 5 minutes, so do you still want me to send you a SS of my transfer?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
If it already completed it won't help much. It might have been chunking on a single huge file which is a lot slower since it can't parallelize requests as much (which makes it much more latency-sensitive).
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
If it already completed it won't help much. It might have been chunking on a single huge file which is a lot slower since it can't parallelize requests as much (which makes it much more latency-sensitive).
very strange,i have been trying all day near enough to get that last chunk and then after you post, it does it super fast :p lol

thanks for the help anyway, appreciate it.

i think ill still keep an eye on you though, that freaked me out. especially after just watching paranormal activity! thanks for the nightmeres