Lt. Commander
# 31
03-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoc
More interesting yes, but definitely a lot less painful...
Mesa thinksa yousa forgotsa Jar Jar Binks.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcsola2003

In a full-on fight, fantasy weapons/tech that don't bother explaining themselves beyond "Midichlorians! The Force!" usually beats hard sci-fi that imposes limits on itself.
Star Trek really doesn't impose any meaningful limits on itself, though. Star Trek stories use vague techno babble to explain away plot devices all the time. Writer fiat makes Starfleet tech either stronger or weaker almost at whim. Have a cool story in mind that would be totally ruined by transporters or sensor technology? Um, radiation/mineral interference. Want to defeat impossible odds? Have Geordi come up with some deflector-dish mumbo-jumbo.

The main difference between Trek and Wars is thematic. Wars is about the struggle between good and evil. Trek is about all of the grey areas in-between. Since Trek has been around for so long, and encompasses so many different stories (episodes), it's no surprise that its thematic scope is both broader and less coherent, which isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing; it just is.

The tech versus magic discussion is really just about exposition. Star Trek uses tech to explain the magical. Wars uses magic to explain the magical. Personally I like them both, though I have to say that of the two options, the techno-babble exposition can be far more insulting to the audience's intelligence. Sometimes it just smacks of pure laziness on the part of the writers.

But then again, Trek has had to fill a lot more screen time, so we can forgive them for the occasional bad story. Wars has six movies, and so the two or three that many fans hate are far more offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderTheRobot
Star Wars stopped being cool when they revealed that Darth Vader's nickname was "Annie".
LOL. Can't argue there.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Compare the original SWG at release to STO at release.

Star Trek wins hands down, no arguments.

As long as we are being one dimensional in our comparisons
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obitus View Post
Stuff
Which is why I changed my original statement of "Hard Sci-Fi with Fantasy elements" to just "Harder ..." since Star Trek does to the occasional hand-waving using deflector dishes too and whatnot. In fact, most sci-fi that involves FTL travel fall into the soft Sci-Fi category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderTheRobot
Star Wars stopped being cool when they revealed that Darth Vader's nickname was "Annie".
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineel
Compare the original SWG at release to STO at release.

Star Trek wins hands down, no arguments.

As long as we are being one dimensional in our comparisons
Yea but SWG is pretty irrelevant at this point. That game was made many years ago.

Swtor is coming. Yea.....we'll see about that.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm always confused as to how people can compare a series of 5 shows spanning 40 years and 11 movies with 6 movies half of which aren't even very good.. lawl.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
I'm always confused as to how people can compare a series of 5 shows spanning 40 years and 11 movies with 6 movies half of which aren't even very good.. lawl.
They both have "Star" in their titles, this is more than enough fuel for the more rabid fans of either side :p
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
Because half the Star Trek movies suck too. Its true.

Oh and half the shows stink. So.....thats about square. And before the dreaded prequels Star Wars was superb.

Lt. Commander
# 39
03-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderReed
Yea but SWG is pretty irrelevant at this point. That game was made many years ago.

Swtor is coming. Yea.....we'll see about that.
SW:TOR will make STO look like a mini-game. But that isn't what this thread is looking at I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderReed
Because half the Star Trek movies suck too. Its true.

Oh and half the shows stink. So.....thats about square. And before the dreaded prequels Star Wars was superb.

A couple hundred Ewok suit zippers disprove this.