Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
No science team? That makes you VM fodder. You can't very well RSP if you're disabled. So how do you deal with that?
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't worry about VM. Subnuc scares me, though I've survived a few of those. Usually Engineering team gives me a big enough damage resist that I can survive VM. I also have 30% resistance to everything, so perhaps that helps.

On a side note, can BoPs even use VM? I'm not sure I've ever had one try it on me.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-20-2010, 07:55 PM
BoP and carriers are the only Klingon vessels that can use VM (need at least Lt.Cm science station).

BoP have universal BO stations, so they can equip any types or combinations of BOs they want. So starting at Commander, BoP can have VM, and at General, carriers can have VM. I either have a science officer or engineer in my commander station for VM or Extend Shields. Leaning more towards VM because it's too easy to get out of range of extend shields as a BoP.

Science Team isn't too hard to get in an ensign or Lt slot. It's very useful for clearing off SCI debuffs on yourself or an ally with a bonus boost to shields. However, a team doesn't need everyone to have it as long as the people who do have it remember to use it on whoever needs it.

And you should have at least a healthy respect for VM. I dropped VM3 on a cruiser who managed to pop RSP right before it landed. Still killed that cruiser because Tyken's Rift eventually dropped his shields or RSP wore off. Also, that whole time, that cruiser wasn't doing any damage to my team (which is another big use for VM, not to kill, just to disable).

Remember that Tactical captains can debuff your resistance and buff their own damage, so cannons and high yield torpedo can do a lot of damage while you're sitting there stuck.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Tip for any fed player: Wait for FvF so you can atleast have evened odds

Everyone who is serious about pvp in this game knows klingons are overpowered just to save them from going extinct because cryptic is undermaned and to cheap to want to add real content for them
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzx
I don't worry about VM. Subnuc scares me, though I've survived a few of those. Usually Engineering team gives me a big enough damage resist that I can survive VM. I also have 30% resistance to everything, so perhaps that helps.

On a side note, can BoPs even use VM? I'm not sure I've ever had one try it on me.
You're setting yourself up for an easy kill. Engineering team will in no way EVER really help you survive a VM. For a start you can't use ET on yourself whilst you are VM'd.

All ships should carry science team 1 at the very least it has so many uses.

Bird of preys are probably the very best ship to use VM with as you can come out of cloak and VM/SNB a target without any real chance of the enemy detecting it. So an automatic kill in most situations.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Perhaps I'm getting my skills mixed up. VM is the one that shuts down everything except Engineer team, science team, and you can redirect shields correct? And it lasts 6 to 8 seconds? Subnuc shuts down everything but Engineer team (and something else, can't remember) for 25 seconds or so....then you die.

Correct me if I"m wrong please. Don't want to confuse anybody, especially myself.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post

So maybe a third solution is a possibility to balance this, keep some disabling abilities in the game but restrict them to one side in a selective manner.

Klingons do more damage, feds have more hitpoints, Klingons can be more maneuverable and can Cloak, but Feds have some CC abilities to balance it out.

That way when that BOP or Battlecruiser locks on to your 6, you can throw out an ability that would hold them there for a while so you can maneuver as well and get out of this situation. But we do not want an "I win" mechanic either, the counter balance of this is the fact that the Klingon would still be more maneuverable after the ability expires and can still opt to bail and cloak and come back to one;s 6.

That way you have a continuous combat that involves tactical competition of strengths and weaknesses, both players trying to get the upper hand on their enemy....and this only happens when the system is balanced.
Actually, I could really go for this suggeston. A good amount of Klingon "science" revolves around improving the weapons they use, not necessarily creating CC-type abilities; that's what the Fed Science Academy is for in canon.

It would also give a greater uniqueness, a noticeable one at that, to the Fed side; as it is, Feds ARE unique but in PvP it's only the skilled PvPer that takes advantage of that; part-timers/PvE'ers/others in this "L2P" category will better notice their uniqueness when they have "abilities" (as cloak appears as an ability) that will give them an advantage to the playstyle itself.

That said, abilities such as SNB should universally have a counter, and anything, even if it makes a faction unique, must be an advantage that can be appropriately adapted to.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
You're setting yourself up for an easy kill. Engineering team will in no way EVER really help you survive a VM. For a start you can't use ET on yourself whilst you are VM'd.
Are you sure about that? You can use Science Team on yourself with no issue while VM'd, and I have a vague memory of stupidly accidentally using my ET instead once. It affected me, iirc.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucSkywalker View Post
Tip for any fed player: Wait for FvF so you can atleast have evened odds

Everyone who is serious about pvp in this game knows klingons are overpowered just to save them from going extinct because cryptic is undermaned and to cheap to want to add real content for them
This has got to be one of the most helpful and constructive posts I have ever seen! I feel so informed now.

/golfclap
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post

All ships should carry science team 1 at the very least it has so many uses.

Bird of preys are probably the very best ship to use VM with as you can come out of cloak and VM/SNB a target without any real chance of the enemy detecting it. So an automatic kill in most situations.
You definitely can use engineering team in a VM. But yes, I agree, ET is not going to help you in VM unless its just one ship on you. Even then it can be iffy.