Lt. Commander
Its very simple: SUPPLY & DEMAND!!

If the PLAYERS stopped buying credits from the spammers the problem would disappear over night.

This is one thing Cryptic or any other MMO cannot control, its totally up to the PLAYERS.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMan2k View Post

If the PLAYERS stopped buying credits from the spammers the problem would disappear over night.

This is one thing Cryptic or any other MMO cannot control, its totally up to the PLAYERS.
Given the fact that in just a few weeks the prices have come down from $15 for 100k to $1 per 100k I don't think you need to worry too much.

I can't imagine many people are actually buying. It just takes a while for the message to sink in with these guys, I think.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Not really. Credit sellers sell currency for many games. WoW is obviously thier big money maker. They will try and keep a market in every MMO, since the other games will support them. Think of it like McDonalds. No McDonalds will ever go out of buisness. Reason is even if a store loses money the other stores will support it in hopes that eventually buisness will pick up, and it will eventually. If STO becomes more popular the sellers are all set to make money at that point. They may become less agressive for now but will always be there.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:

I'm a player and I never bought any credit. Your logic is flawed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Can't buy enough with credits to make something like that worth it. Unless someone's really into mark II gear, then maybe.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2010, 04:33 PM
the problm with credit sellers is that they also manipulate in game economies such as buying up epic equipment, or farming certain encounters. In dark age of camelot they were known to be camping the dragon 24/7 if you did encounter the dragon up and had a raid ready to go 99% of the time they would actually kite mobs into your raid to wipe so they could take the dragon.

And with the only source of certain equipment dropping from the mob they could dictate how much to sell the items on the economy.

Dont think gold sellers just sell gold, they manipulate auction houses to keep prices high so people are eventually required to buy their gold to compete.

Luckily startrek onlines economy is pretty basic and the only way to get most equipment is to do it yourself and its bind on pickup so not really much they can do.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2010, 04:33 PM
I just bought 9 billion credits for 2 dollars!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
I just bought 9 billion credits for 2 dollars!
I had to fork over 1 Wendy's Triple Burger. I was ripped off. Those burgers cost more than 2 dollars. I hope it arrives to them stale now.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2010, 04:49 PM
You can post this on the forums all day, the Dbags who buy gold/credits are too busy buying their gold/credits to read these forums.

The farmers dont even farm for it anymore, since about 2007 in WoW almost all of the gold sellers have been using hacked accounts for their supply the rest coming from farmers using terrain hacks to farm herbs/minerals under the terrain, this practice has spilled into every other mmo.

The only thing thats going to cut down on it is blocking IPs from mainland china and building a good system to detect tunneling and rapidly banning those using tunneling clients to access the game servers (WoW blocks china IPs from their non china servers so all of the sellers use tunneling software to access the servers via proxy).
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:

Actually i think we'd see the current situation: Goldsellers becoming more and more desperate to make some kind of a profit and slashing prices to tiny amounts. If the prices are anything to go by, very few people playing STO are moronic enough to try buying currency.

Personally i've never bought game currency and even if it were allowed, i certainly wouldnt buy it from spammers who are too thick to realise that 1000k is 1 million.