Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintri View Post
Actually it is unsolicited as it's received by those who aren't even looking. It's bulk as you do send it multiple times throughout an hour much less throughout the day and to multiple people given that it is a global chat enviornment. It is a message as that one should be self explainatory. It's also indiscriminately as well since you haven't any ability to target who receives it.

Though however given that there isn't really a speicific channel for fleet recruitments in game, there can be some leeway given. Least look on the bright side, you've cleared out quite a number of people who'll never join your fleet since they're ignoring you, or one would assume they'd continue to ignore you. Though the system does have much room for abuse, and that there isn't really any definition of spam for a channel whose purpose is for people to talk to others in the same zone. Though I assume saying the same thing over and over and over again doesn't quite help your case even if it is for a cause that regretably most people don't care about.
None of what you said is Cryptic's policy. All you are doing is stating your opinion on the matter. Cryptic has been clear in their policy on the use of the "Report Spam" function.

See http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=140207

Mind you, I've never met MentalElf, or any of his fleet, as far as I know. I'm just trying to let people know that Cryptic does have a policy on the use of "Report Spam" and it should be followed. You never know, next week there might be a slew of posts complaining about being suspended/banned for misuse of the Report Spam function.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalElf View Post
What about .org?

How about .net?

Let's not forget .edu?

Do those tickle your "report spam" reflex?
So if I understand you correctly, all URLs have to be messaged outside of zone chat
because they may be the URL of a game money seller. The whole point of saying
"Got fleet? Check us out at 6thfleet.com" was to make it easy, simple, and SHORT.
Seriously, you aren't going to tell me that the "6thfleet" part is just a blur,
and all that is seen is the ".com"??? Give me a break. And you know *very*
well the real game money seller spam posts are long and detailed.
pretty much all of them do, if it looks like a web address my first thought is gold spammer, an unfortunate side affect of playing online games and i have seen many types of gold spammer messages from short to long. Its the dot whatever i usually see first but i do have a habit of actually reading the message just to make sure what it is ,but not everyone will, as i dont want to report the wrong people.

If i have ever seen your fleet recruitment there is a good chance i never reported it as spam unless (as you say 5 mins apart) i see it being posted avery few seconds, which some do

Some may find every 5mins anoying and report it as spam but im rarely in one area long enough to see that too often
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-21-2010, 03:27 AM
Whether or not its annoying isn't the issue. As per Cryptic's rules, using Report Spam for anything other than currency selling spam, is in violation of their rules. Its simple as that.

The post by GM_Destra says as much. http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=140207

This whole thread, however should be moved to a section other than Support/Gameplay bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-21-2010, 03:29 AM
ill keep this simple really since you seem to be upset.

your definition and cryptics are not working together. neither is your definition and the many that have reported you.
i dont mind a cpl postings for recruiting, but if i saw yours every 5 mins as you say, or even more then twice in a 15 min period, id report you as well.
i dont like gold spammers, people posting "wts...." or frequent fleet recruitment messages.

so if your panties are in a wad over this - rethink YOUR approach to how YOU appear to others.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Perhaps you should re-read Cryptic's rules for the use of the Report Spam function.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=140207

The ignore function is there for the issue we're discussing.

"The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only."

That is a direct quote from the Lead Game Master. You people really have to learn the rules.
Lt. Commander
Doh, I just figured out why people are bothering to argue this thread's
purpose, which is to recognize the wrong nature and fix the problem
with the "report spam" and subsequent "automatic silencing for 24 hours"
feature, which is causing numerous players to lose their communications
in the game for no reason other than being abused by other players.

It's because they have not followed the stated proper use of
report spam and are concerned.

They would rather argue to change the proper use, than end
up on the recieving end of a slencing or worse, as alluded to
in GM_Destra's post:

"Abusing the system will result in severe penalties against your account."

No "Sir Whatever", I think you are the one that should be concerned about
their behavior. Your talking about people being "bothered" verus what
I am talking about, which is a serious loss of paid services. Having
seen the proper usage statement, I will certainly claim my two days
lost back in REAL MONEY TERMS... they will have to either extend my
paid use by two days or fork over the cash. I hope they charge the
cost to the abusers.... take away two days play for them too (at least).
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReEker
Perhaps you should re-read Cryptic's rules for the use of the Report Spam function.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=140207

The ignore function is there for this reason.

"The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only."

That is a direct quote from the Lead Game Master. You people really have to learn the rules.
and how many times do you tink posting that link is considered spam?
i read it, and it is not 100% defined.

read here: http://startrekonline.com/support/policies/behavior

Quote:
Advertisements for real-world products or websites
as taken from the above page.

i.e. he/she are posting a website. both the dev link you KEEP insisting on refering to (spammer) and the above are vaque and can be seen from many points of view.

i happen to fall in the same catagory as i did in my post previous and consider fleet recruiters as much as annoyance as spammers and "wts"(ers). if all i saw was one or two overy 15 mins, then id be mroe relaxed about it. but i have a different opinion then yours. you may like, and that is fine. i dont.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-21-2010, 03:48 AM
We're talking about a website for a fleet from STAR TREK ONLINE. That is not the same as a real world-product or website.

The fact is that MentalElf was silenced for being reported multiple times using the Report Spam function. His fleet adverts do not violate any rules, however using the Report Spam function on him for his fleet adverts does. You cannot argue with that.

Further more this quote is 100% defined.

You can feel free to try and report me for posting a STICKIED link by the Lead Game Master, go ahead and try.

The meat and potatoes of this issue is using Report Spam for anything other than RMT spammers is an abuse of the game mechanics.

This whole thread should be closed. All the facts have been stated, and anything else left to be said is pure opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReEker
We're talking about a website for a fleet from STAR TREK ONLINE. That is not the same as a real world-product or website.

The fact is that MentalElf was silenced for being reported multiple times using the Report Spam function. His fleet adverts do not violate any rules, however using the Report Spam function on him for his fleet adverts does. You cannot argue with that.
yes i can...as many see it different then you. all this link your providing did was offer a "picture" to that spam idea. it is not set in stone nor validated by a link to cryptics official policy on the matter.
its a forum post. nothing more.
take it with a grain of salt. there are many views aside from yours or mine.
i see you happen to side with the OP - thats fine.
i happen to agree with the silent treatment he recieved. - and thats fine too.

but until we get a confirmed "written" or validated "link" to policies and defined uses, the thread is a simple guide. the GM even said they are taking some information posted into account as i am sure they have had more then this persons name reported for activites that should be done less frequent or not at all.
Lt. Commander
A fleet add is NOT a real life advertisement.
You are playing with words, the "and" should
be used properly, that means "real world websites".
Fleet websites are STO GAME websites, in other
words, NOT REAL WORLD. Step outside, breath
in the fresh air, that's real world... this is a game.

Use your brain for a moment.
Think.
Why is that rule there?

Because a method of free advertising "real world"
(there's that phrase again!) products or services
is NOT included in your paid game experience.

What could possibly be sold at the 6th fleet site. Nothing.
Where is the profit? There is none.

This thing you are arguing against is all about the inherent game feature
of fleets, nothing more. If fleets were a foreign idea to the game perhaps
you would be right.
But they are as much a part of the game as space ships.
Fleets are what make STO a desirable MMO.
They enable people to organize efforts, to have fun together,
and in general, to have a more enjoyable multiplayer experience.

If you didn't want to play a game with other people and see chat,
why the heck are you here?

Let me guess, "Sir Rabbit of Cadbury"...
You made a fleet, it's not working.
In fact it's dieing.
You are unhappy.
You wish to make other fleets die as well.
In fact, you probably wish the game didn't even have fleets anymore.
Everytime you see a fleet advertisement you "report spam" on it, telling
yourself "how dare they bother me and my chat, I own this chat".
Do you?
Closed Thread