Lt. Commander
# 1 Sto and physics
03-16-2010, 10:16 AM
I want to point out that physics do not really aply in STO.
A ship moveing with 'Evasive Maneuvers' and fireing a torpedo leaves the torpedo behind at a lower speed.

Anything 'fired' by a ship moveing a certain speed, starts off with the same speed + the acceleration of the propellant. (according to the laws of physics, i leave the math out ^^)

As it stands now, torpedos 'fly' at a fixed speed no matter what speed your ship has set even if that means you pass your own torpedo after fireing , which is so funny and sad at the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-16-2010, 11:31 AM
I kind of like how this works in pvp.

You will never have more fun in STO than when you hit EPtE + evasive, fire HYT3 off as soon as your in weapons range, then start firing cannons to take down his sheilds. Fly streight past the target and watch the target info display go from 100 to 0% health.

Long live fly by kills.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Limitations of the software I imagine.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome to Star Trek in general, and MMOs in general.

Physics need not apply.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Hmmm, time for a BS star trek technobabble answer! The subspace field created by impulse engines, which in canon allows a ship to use a simple fusion drive to travel 1/4 the speed of light, doesn't apply to objects outside of the ship for it's inertial mass altering effects. Therefore a torpedo launched from the ship would suddenly have a great deal of it's kinetic energy lost in the inertial mass transfer from only a gram or two into several kilograms.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
Welcome to Star Trek in general, and MMOs in general.

Physics need not apply.
QFT.

Also, any time you talk about applying reality to an RPG, God kills a catgirl. Please, think of the Caitians.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
QFT.

Also, any time you talk about applying reality to an RPG, God kills a catgirl. Please, think of the Caitians.
In that case... I love how some ships don't even fire from their traditional weapon hardpoints. Sometimes, from certain angles of attack, phaser beams will even lance out from open space instead of your ship!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.LoveMonkey
Hmmm, time for a BS star trek technobabble answer! The subspace field created by impulse engines, which in canon allows a ship to use a simple fusion drive to travel 1/4 the speed of light, doesn't apply to objects outside of the ship for it's inertial mass altering effects. Therefore a torpedo launched from the ship would suddenly have a great deal of it's kinetic energy lost in the inertial mass transfer from only a gram or two into several kilograms.
To do a Coxism... Wrong wrong wrong wrong, wrong wrong Wrong wrong... you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wronnnng!

Sorry, had to. >.> Anyway, no. Impulse drive in no way creates a field of any kind around the ship. In simple terms, it simply propels the ship by the hyper-fusion plasma created from the base dueterium fuel (which is used in both fusion impulse and matter/antimatter reaction warp drive... you just nix the antimatter for the impulse drive). Most of the plasma is vented out the impulse drive, based on the speed needed to be achieved, while the rest is shunted to the Power Distribution Systems for shipwide power needs.

As for weapons... in fact, the standard Federation weapon systems work completely opposite to this theory. Photon (and Quantum) Torpedoes are even usable while the ship is at warp speeds (which is what I think you're thinking of above), because they will be propelled away from the ship using its own warp field during the initial launch before their onboard propulsion systems kick in. Outside of warp, the simple inertia of the ship is coupled with the launch system, propelling the torpedo away until its onboard drive engages... same as a javelin thrower. Phasers, on the other hand, only travel at one speed... namely, light speed. So while extremely handy at sublight speeds, they are incapable of being fired at warp speeds. Fore, you'd have a chance of even intersecting your own weapon stream, and aft, the dialation effect of the warp shell would cause the phaser beam to disperse in multiple directions as it hits the edge of the warp field.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlyman View Post
In that case... I love how some ships don't even fire from their traditional weapon hardpoints. Sometimes, from certain angles of attack, phaser beams will even lance out from open space instead of your ship!
Aye. I'm not a fan of the shortcuts they took with weapon hardpoints. Just looks bad.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2010, 04:49 AM
We have warp drive and space friction and you made a thread about torps and physics?