Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Personal opinion....

This game is about itself being about Trek, the devs have packed in WAY too many direct callbacks to the shows and movies...I know it's to attract fanboys...but it's nearly self parody.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2010, 10:37 PM
I like it personally. Brings back fond memories and is good trivia for us while we play to see if we can remember certain details.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2010, 10:42 PM
I agree.

Unfortunately, if they didn't do that, then the rabid fans will think that they "clearly" didn't see any Star Trek at all because they didn't throw a a ton of callbacks.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2010, 10:45 PM
They should know..."Less is more" With too many callbacks non of them have any impact, oh looks it's K7/DS9 /yawn. Time to go to Memory Alpha, after a visit to Risa.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
Personal opinion....

This game is about itself being about Trek, the devs have packed in WAY too many direct callbacks to the shows and movies...I know it's to attract fanboys...but it's nearly self parody.
Oh for cryin out loud... YES it's a Star Trek game. GET OVER IT.

If any other game were to draw on any other well-established modern myth... WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO?

Don't be ridiculous. You can't mean to state or imply that they shouldn't try to particularly attract and titillate Star Trek fans with ~this~ game?

Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Personal opinion....

I agree. Some of them are ok, but some are just ridiculous. Like Tranya, which was a very obscure alien drink from a single TOS episode, dropping from tons of random Gorn and other aliens. Preposterous, really. It's as if they only watched a handful of shows...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2010, 10:52 PM
If you don't know what Tranya is, It doesn't hurt the gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Personal opinion....

Look, you have no complaint unless the TREK references somehow have a negative effect on your gameplay.

I mean, if you HAVE to be a savvy Trekkie to succeed at this game, then you might have a gripe... but that is not the case.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Star trek stuff in a star trek game.....wtf were they thinkin?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnblanc
If you don't know what Tranya is, It doesn't hurt the gameplay.
What does gameplay have to do with anything? The OP has a valid point. In some cases, they just didn't do their homework.