Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-21-2010, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Thunder
This is the problem imo. There's nothing wrong with tons of star trek references because they'd fit with the world, but to include sooooo many references specifically from the shows is campy as all hell.

For the otherwise impaired, there's a huge difference between:

"Go to the XXXXX sector and investigate the XXXXXX anomoly. Several ships have reported odd readings with...etc. etc."

and

"Go to the XXXXX sector and investigate Crystalline Entity. Hey do you remember when the Enterprise-D ran into this thing. Remember...TNG...it was a popular show and you totally remember it!!!"
What, so you want to be told to go destroy the death star? This is STAR TREK, they can have as many STAR TREK references as they want, it is called STAR TREK Online.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-21-2010, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
Personal opinion....

This game is about itself being about Trek, the devs have packed in WAY too many direct callbacks to the shows and movies...I know it's to attract fanboys...but it's nearly self parody.
This makes no sense at all. Should SWG not have had Darth Vader appear?
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-21-2010, 04:07 AM
i am as much of a ST Fanboi as it gets and yes... they are way to much IN YOUR FACE with those little things.

"This is the Crusher Nebula... because Wesley Crusher (who we all like) found it in Episode TNGS08E09 in the deleted Scenes of the DVD Extras on Disc 2... yes, we seen that Episode! So now comes a rumble about 2 pages long on stuff that nobody understands or remembers while you dont care and please just keep hitting F F F to search for your 5 Shinies and kill 5 random race Mobs".

or

BO "Captain we found an Spacial Anomaly ... that is the exact same thing the Enterprise 1701-D under Captain Picard found in Episode 2.09 so we should do exactly the same now which is...."

CAP: "whut... wait a second... why did you just tell me that the Enterprise did that? ...did you EVER tell me "hey captain the USS Hood found something like that in Episode 4.09?" NO you do never! Because there is no Series about the Hood so you wouldn't know! ...damn Holodeck Junkies, now get back to work and prepare for Spacebar!"
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
Personal opinion....

This game is about itself being about Trek, the devs have packed in WAY too many direct callbacks to the shows and movies...I know it's to attract fanboys...but it's nearly self parody.
Yeah, have fun with your opinion. I like the references, because

a) They remember me of the shows.
b) They tell the stories of what happened after them. I always wanted to know what happened to Thomas Riker or why the Hobus Supernova traveled lightyears within minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosuchluck
I agree. Some of them are ok, but some are just ridiculous. Like Tranya, which was a very obscure alien drink from a single TOS episode, dropping from tons of random Gorn and other aliens. Preposterous, really. It's as if they only watched a handful of shows...
Tranya was also mentioned in Deep Space 9. (And who cares that it drops? Wolves in WoW drop breastplates. It's a type of food in the game, get over it) And if you say that they only watched a handful of shows it seems that you either haven't played the game much, or you yourself haven't seen many shows, otherwise you would've found references to all 5 series.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-21-2010, 04:52 AM
I am very much digging all the obscure refs. Having everyone related to a past character is a little excessive, but a nice tip of the hat to them. They were the best of the best. I guess I would rather see relatives than the actual characters themselves show up. (unless it is a time travel mission of course). It is a Star Trek game, why not do it?
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-21-2010, 05:41 AM
SIGH...

Ok, the big problem with the OP is that he is right and wrong at the same time. If I just got you saying "what", then you really aren't paying attention.

I hate to break it to you, but there tend to be a lot of military brats out there who go into the armed forces. It's amazing how many people you meet in the military whose father or grandfather or great-grandfather was in the military. So, that, to me, is not an issue. It's going to happen whether you like it or not.

Ok, on the issue of certain locales. Risa is going to be there unless the planet gets blow to bits. Same with Andoria, Vulcan, Earth, and even the Guardian of Time planet. Given that the Guardian of Time is only a little younger than the Nibblonians, somehow, I doubt that it is going to be disappearing any time soon. Whether or not you like it, even in the series they visited many of the same places unless they were thrown out into the Delta Quadrant.

On the issue of non-planets...now there is a place I actually do have something to say. It is time to retire K-7. How old is it? Two hundred years old? Time for a new station. I also feel the same way about DS9. While designs may stay the same, eventually you build a new ship/station.

About the drinks...how many of you are still drinking Coca Cola? That is quite old now. Not to mention all the alcoholic drinks. Maybe the Gorn just like that particular drink more than anything else.

There has to be some logic to what is and is not included.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Now we're complaining that the Star Trek video game contains too much material from Star Trek????

Sometimes it feels like every week, the community decides to complain about something new. Sometimes it's valid and I'm right there with them but this time I'm not on the bandwagon.

There are so many glaring canon-errors in this game that sometimes the references are the only things that even make me believe it's Trek. Bad enough that half of the so-called Federation members wear flamboyantly-colored armor now and uniforms aren't even uniforms... come on guys. There are so many more serious issues out there to discuss IMO.

But that's just me. Before you get mad at me, just remember it's an opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Actually, more Star Trek would not hurt, like ship interiors, diplomacy, science etc.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-21-2010, 05:54 AM
If you feel this way about STO I would strongly advise you to stay as far away as possible from Lord of the Rings Online.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-21-2010, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEnigma
This makes no sense at all. Should SWG not have had Darth Vader appear?
QFT

OP's personal opinion is wrong. How about you be like every other MMO player and ignore the dialogue? Your problem would be solved.