Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
I was watching Deep Space 9 yesterday and on one of the episodes on the second disc of season 4, Worf is sitting in the captain's chair running the bridge with Kira and Jadzia behind him at the table talking and eating. Now at the Helm was a red shirt and at the sciences station there was another red shirt. Besides Word what are the other red shirts for in the Next Gen era? I cant figure out what position they would hold and what they would do.

Worf commented in passing that it felt good to be in a red uniform and that he was hoping he could do well in the command field (or something to that effect. either way he mentioned it was a command color.). That means in canon at least at that point and I am sure much earlier (probably in next gen) they established that red was for command personel only, by vocalizing it.

Now then I am not military man so I dont know how it is in the real navy but I would immagine there are lots of command positions but In star trek I can only see the need for three; captain, first officer, and second officer. All of the other positions seem to run and headed by people in that field/color uniform. For example the head of the Engineering department is a Gold Shirt the Chief Medical Officer is a blue shirt the Chief of Operations in multipul shows was a gold shirt and so was the Cheif of security, which means:

Red is reserved for only command personel
Gold is for Ship Operations
and Blue is for Sciences.

Now you might say duh everyone who knows star trek knows that. But then I re-ask my question what are all the other red shirts doing? Obviously it is not doing command level functions when the team leaders and department heads are all blue or gold shirts.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Red is also used for CONN officers, like Tom Paris. I'll have to look up what all positions red entails, but it is more than just command personnel. Someone may post a better answer for you before then.

EDIT: From Memory Alpha:

Quote:
Command officers include most all of the admiralty, captains, executive officers, adjutants, pilots and flight controller (or helmsman). Command division personnel also fill posts as tactical officers and sometimes in ordnance departments.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Actually, anything/anyone related to Command use Red. Everybody else related (Operations or Security, for example) use Orange.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm going to answer this question. Someday.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Command in TNG is a somewhat broad group, though better defined than Operations. Being a red shirt makes you a member of the immediate bridge crew and puts you in line to inherit the Captain's chair should the need arise. This can best be seen in the episode "Skin of Evil" where Geordi, then helmsman of the Enterprise and a lieutenant, is put in command over a superior officer because he wore a red uniform and the Chief of Engineering wore gold.

It seems that Ops officers are more specialized in their field while Command officers receive direct training and experience in managing and commanding a ship and its personnel. It should be noted that Starfleet did a lot of what they call "psychometric profiling" to assign people to the jobs that Starfleet felt they matched up best with, so it was difficult for the most part for people to switch colors. Even Eddington confessed that it would be difficult, if not impossible, for him to gain command wearing a gold uniform. It should be noted that every one of the Enterprise-D's top officers captained their own ship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
It should be noted that every one of the Enterprise-D's top officers captained their own ship.
Nope, while Troi took the bridge officer test, and was promoted she never got her own ship in the main timeline or any altered ones. Worf I would say was questionable also as the Defiant was under Sisko's command.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoenATL
Nope, while Troi took the bridge officer test, and was promoted she never got her own ship in the main timeline or any altered ones. Worf I would say was questionable also as the Defiant was under Sisko's command.
Worf "commanded" the Enterprise in one episode during the second season (the one that introduced K'heylar). He would also independently command the Defiant in a few episodes of DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Worf "commanded" the Enterprise in one episode during the second season (the one that introduced K'heylar). He would also independently command the Defiant in a few episodes of DS9.
"command" I see as different from when someone says "captained." I see captained as it is your ship your crew. You are not babysitting the ship. I never thought it was clear with the Defiant whose ship that was. Sisko was supposed to be in command, yet word lived on the ship and not DS9 and would readily take it out. But then Jadzia (a science officer) is in command of it during the Dominion war. It seemed like anyone could just take it out when they wanted and man it with who ever was around. Like when the tailor dude would go on missions with them and there he'd be at a station punching buttons.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoenATL
I refuse to acknowledge that Troi had a rank of any kind. She only wore pips beginning in Generations.

Worf did go on to command ships for the KDF, notably commanding a ship to intercept the Narada in the Star Trek: Countdown comic. While that's not CBS canon, it's canon for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Troi wore pips when she wore the skant cheerleader uniform. Also when gerico took command of the enterprise he ordered her to wear a standard star fleet uniform like everyone else did so her rank showed. It was just she did not take the bridge officer test. When she did so she even out ranked data as a commander. She was just not in the chain of command, like crusher.