Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 pve vs pvp builds
03-21-2010, 08:31 AM
ok had to ask this because ive seen it apear on numerous threads now. people keep throwing the 'pve' build from feds vs the 'pvp' builds from klinongs. its mostly used to point out that feds are weaker in pvp because of their pve builds. can anyone explain to me what a pve or a pvp build is.

dont explain to me what it means plz, but give the builds.
1 what gear for pve what gear is for pvp. in terms of shields deflectors weapons etc

2 what skills are for pve what skills are for pvp. the skill tree itself (maybe even point out how much points u allocate in each section and formulate an opinion or a fact about skills u need in space and ground and if u can put enough skills in both to be descent at both

3 what officers are for pve what officers are for pvp. obviously your brtidge officers dont matter at all for your ground pvp.

i pose this question because i to am a main federation player that comes in and out of pvp but doesnt swap anything out or around. i use the same gear for nuking borgs in pve as for nuking klingons (or mostly get nuked by them) in pvp. i dont swap my officers because i feel they have good skills for pvp and they feel just as usefull in pve.

build:

tac captain
RA5
advanced escort

fore: Dual Heavy antiproton cannon+ DH Tetryon cannon+ dual tetryon canon + quantum torp
6370 covariant shield
+deflector dish/field/something deflector dish
aft: tetryon turret+ phaser turret+ tricobalt torp

eng console: +eps flow (+3) + somthing will check later
science: +deflector field*2
tac: +22 cannons *4

tac officer cap: HYT 1, tac team 2, CRF 2, APO3
tac officer: Tac team 1, HYT 2, AP Delta 2
engineering officer: hull repair, Reverse shield polarity
science: jam sensors (the one that makes u invisible to one enemy)
science: science team 1, tachyon beam

so is this a pve or a pvp build, anything u think i should swap around for pvp and if so will it affect my pve (wich i care less for)

thank u for reading and comments

ps i do a lil klingon pvp to, which is fun
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-22-2010, 09:33 PM
lol thougt so. people jugling with words like pve build or pvp build just dont know what they are talking about
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Reel View Post
lol thougt so. people jugling with words like pve build or pvp build just dont know what they are talking about
i'm just going to be honest and straight with you. a PvP build is a term used to describe something thats designed for PvP, as such it carries the most efficient, powerful, and flexible skills. A PvE build on the other hand is designed primarily for PvE, in which case you can win against anything but the borg by flopping your **** on the keyboard.

A PvPer would not be caught dead with a skill like cannon: scatter volley or directed energy modulation unless they were bringing it specifically for testing. In PvE once again you can win by dangling your junk over the mouse.

additionally, by virtue of actually being good. A PvP build is often extremely effective at PvE (or at the very least, works well). This is not the case of a PvE build, in which case, the past 2 analogies have already described it.

While I won't actually describe what is and what isn't a pvp or pve build with builds like you asked, your build is very suboptimal for PvP. for one thing, tactical teams are bad, tachyon beam is subpar (just disable the thing outright with TSS), and APD is very weak compared to APB (reactive compared to proactive).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-22-2010, 10:29 PM
I would get rid of some of those tac teams for high yield 3 and rapid fire 3. And stick with one damage type, so you can load up on all + consoles for it. 3 or 4 "dont no how many you can have" +30 tetryon or whatever you use will do more than +cannons.

And think about switching to the other escort for the extra eng officer. Oh and maybe an attack beta.

The main thing as a Klingon I see are escorts not knowing how to set there ships up. Funny that youre in an escort.

Things like jam sensors combined with energy syphon are a horrible setup. Oh and whatever you do, get rid of tachyon beam. Unless youre an escort that flyes around with 100 to aux.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa27 View Post
I would get rid of some of those tac teams for high yield 3 and rapid fire 3. And stick with one damage type, so you can load up on all + consoles for it. 3 or 4 "dont no how many you can have" +30 tetryon or whatever you use will do more than +cannons.

And think about switching to the other escort for the extra eng officer. Oh and maybe an attack beta.

The main thing as a Klingon I see are escorts not knowing how to set there ships up. Funny that youre in an escort.

Things like jam sensors combined with energy syphon are a horrible setup. Oh and whatever you do, get rid of tachyon beam. Unless youre an escort that flyes around with 100 to aux.
jam sensors is good if you're trying to cover someone in science debuffs, makes removing VM much harder (and sometimes impossible).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Right you are. I was saying jam and energy syphon as your 2 abilities is a bad combo. Its something I saw on a fed escort at captain level, along with cannon scatter volley and torp volley.

Its painfully obvious to spot someone who doesnt PvP all that much. I find it mostly in the escorts. Ironic escorts have a hard time in PvP, and such a cake walk in PvE.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
i'm just going to be honest and straight with you. a PvP build is a term used to describe something thats designed for PvP, as such it carries the most efficient, powerful, and flexible skills. A PvE build on the other hand is designed primarily for PvE, in which case you can win against anything but the borg by flopping your **** on the keyboard.

A PvPer would not be caught dead with a skill like cannon: scatter volley or directed energy modulation unless they were bringing it specifically for testing. In PvE once again you can win by dangling your junk over the mouse.

additionally, by virtue of actually being good. A PvP build is often extremely effective at PvE (or at the very least, works well). This is not the case of a PvE build, in which case, the past 2 analogies have already described it.

While I won't actually describe what is and what isn't a pvp or pve build with builds like you asked, your build is very suboptimal for PvP. for one thing, tactical teams are bad, tachyon beam is subpar (just disable the thing outright with TSS), and APD is very weak compared to APB (reactive compared to proactive).
this is exactly what i didnt want. im not that noob that i dont know the difference between pve and pvp. i cant seem to put my finger as to what moves and skills are considered to be pvp/pve in this game. they almost all seem to work just as good for pvp and pve. altough people pointing out the scatter shots to be pve i seem to follow them.

i dont use power siphon. and no i dont use 100 aux power for my escort. the reason i took those tac teams was that i had way to much HYT. i had at one point 2*HYT1, HYT2 and HYT3. seemed like overkill because i was never able to use all of those. so i started swapping around some HYT for other moves such as APD and the tac team.
as for the APD vs APB u could be vary right but in my experience ive gotten way more result with the Delta then with the Beta. its has been a long time since ive used APB. maybe i should take a look at that.

i dont find any good alternatives for my tactical officers. scater canon or scater torpedo is realy meh and with 7 tactical abilitys with the good ones in the higher teers i find them lacking in the lower tiers. HYT seems the only note worty move tac officers get oh and of course CRF. but since RF2 is T3 and RF3 is T4 that would mean i would lose attack patterns wich i dont whant to lose.


so: first of thanks for finaly posting here. gave me some insights. second, idd like to point out that i want to try and be somewhat balanced for when i meet people in pvp groups. Delta helps with the damage for the rest of the team FF an oponent. RSP and jam sensor for some survivability, torps and cannons for higher damage, teams of multiple sorts and hull repair again both for survivebility and helping out the rest of my team.

playing the klingon side has thougt me they arent all that overpowered (only slightly, almost not worth mentioning) and ive learned that i can operate way better when i am a team player. thats why i have certain moves.

thx again for ur replies and i might look into putting in some changes as u have mentioned. but i realy like certain moves as they lie very much within my own playing style.

cheers from one fed thats trying to get better by joining the winning team

as for the weapons i use, i like the diversity because this way i can for at least a small part negate resistance my opponent may have. for instance klingons with heavy tetryon resistance would get low damage from me when i load everything with tetryons. thats why ive chosen to go both phasers as tetryon. my build isnt that good and ive put 9 points in both of them. so it doesnt realy matter. thats the reason why i took the +22 cannons. boosting phasers would do nothing for my tetryons and vice versa. again this may be falty of me, but its kinda my playstyle and it works prety well i might add. also having two types of weapons can give u two types of (very small) bonuses.
i usualy just dont go out of my way to be UBER i just whant to have some fun and being descent is already good for me.

ps now that ive read that FBP is broken i know i wont use it till fixed. never had this move. do whant to try that SNB someday thoug. not possible on my escort
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 AM.