Lt. Commander
# 1 Fed Cruiser cannons
03-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Just a quick question. I am wondering why Fed cruisers are the only cruisers in game that can't equip cannons. Both the raptor and all klingon cruisers can so why can't Fed cruisers? I simply don't understand why such a large ship class can't support such a platform.

This isn't a red vs blue post. It just seems silly to me knowing human nature that in all our vast history of warfare someone wouldn't have figured out how to attach cannons to cruisers. It seems just as silly when i learned the logic behind fed's not developing a cloaking device was due to us making a treaty with our enemies never to develop such technologies. Our forefathers would be rolling over in their graves.. = ).

Yeah we used spies, begged, borrowed and stole every piece of technology from our enemies in every war we ever fought to advance technology but suddenly we become overly nice and say, okay bad guy enemies, we won't develope this simply cause you asked. It's against human nature. lol. I never understood that about the star trek series development.

Anyway i just threw that last part in for some fun. My real issue is obviously with cruisers not being able to outfit cannons. What is the "logic" behind this one?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Latest patch on tribble:
"All Single Cannons can now be used by any ship."

Not sure if it really applies to all ships..... Seems beams are going to be useless since Feedback pulse already is such a beam deterrent without a remedy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2010, 07:32 AM
To be honest, even if it were possible to load cannons on a (Fed) Cruiser, I wouldn't choose to do so. They turn too slowly to effectively use a 45 degree arc weapon. Single cannons could be used, I suppose, but they're inferior to arrays for damage purposes and firing arc.

Quote:
Not sure if it really applies to all ships..... Seems beams are going to be useless since Feedback pulse already is such a beam deterrent without a remedy.
They're looking at Feedback Pulse, because it's quite clear that it's overpowered in a way that isn't fun. I agree that right now beams are essentially suicide in PvP, but I'm hoping that will change soon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I myself and other Cruiser Captains use Beam Banks in PvP, and they work very effectively.

Get up to 12k on Overload II, and do serious damage to both Player ships and NPC ships in that blast.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfyre010 View Post
To be honest, even if it were possible to load cannons on a (Fed) Cruiser, I wouldn't choose to do so. They turn too slowly to effectively use a 45 degree arc weapon. Single cannons could be used, I suppose, but they're inferior to arrays for damage purposes and firing arc.
Single Cannons have a 180 degree firing arc, have a higher base DPS than beam arrays, and their attack buff (Rapid Fire) can be used with no penalties. They work very well on T5 Cruisers, Assault Cruisers can use High Yield I, Rapid Fire I, and Beam Overload I for a nice offensive punch.

I have not tested a T4 Cruiser with 9/9 Starship Combat Maneuvers and RCS consoles at that level. But the T5 only needs 1 RCS Console to go with 9/9 Maneuvers to be effective. It still handles like a big ship, but it's better.

Everyone should pop in to Tribble and check this stuff out.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Have things changed because High yeild is for torpedoes only.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm sure he mentioned High Yield only because it was part of his recommended setup for an Assault Cruiser (3 Tac powers; HY1, BO1, RF1).

I find the Cannon damage dropoff to be annoying enough that I'll take the slightly lower damage of an array. I also find (single) cannons painfully boring to look at.