Lt. Commander
1st problem. Queue-ing. The big problem is that queues just don't put people into the game correctly. Klingons and Feds both suffer from this. No one likes loading in as the single player in a 5 vs. 1 match. It's a "Most Dangerous Game" type situation where it is 5 people hunting one person quickly killing any semblance of fun. I have been on the receiving end of this and the hunting pack end of this. It sucks, and is in no way fun or challenging. It can sometimes take 5-10 minutes for everyone to load in. How about you just don't let us play until all 10(at minimum) players have pushed engage. As a Klingon, it's kind of a waste of time for me to let 5 fedbears with an itchin' fur some pvp to slaughter me 40 times and get me less xp and medals.

2nd Problem. No end to games where feds beam out because they are getting beat. This is a big problem that klingons discuss in zone chat quite frequently. I am speaking from ground pvp experience, but I assume this happens in space with warping also. Here's an example situation. The klingons are rolling a fed group 20-1. Fed number 1 gets tired of it, so he decides not to respawn and go afk. It's 21-1 now, and Fed 2 gets tired of being innefective with the less apt to win team and beams out. Now it's 3 vs. 5 and the feds are getting smashed, 30-2. Instead of losing gracefully, all the feds beam out. Well, the klingons are stuck in the gameboard, with no win or no loss. It's just 30-2 and we have to wait for some poor sap to queue.(said poor sap will most likely beam out noticing the 1 vs 5 odds and we stuck with the same problem). Can Cryptic install some kind of mechanism that lets one side win when everyone has beamed out on an opposing team. Can something be installed where if klingons aren't engaged in 5 minutes, they come with a button that lets them win the match that was given up on? We have to do this to level up, and quite frankly, it is a busted game mechanic that lets the pve'er screw over the pvp'er because he gets cold feet.

3rd problem. Getting rid of people who chose not to respawn. Can Cryptic develop some way to kick players who have chosen not to respawn after a certain amount of time? I have seen klingons and feds do this, but it's a little less important on the list because it's not always something you can control. When you get killed and choose not to respawn, it can be for a multitude of reasons, A) Dinner/Lunch/Breakfast, B) An Emergency, C) Phone Call, D) Life, E) Whine about how unfair fighting against klingons in pvp is. All of these reasons are legit to halt play and not respawn. It's unfair to the pvp team though. If someone has not respawned in 5 minutes, can they please be kicked off the map to let someone willing to play come into the zone?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-22-2010, 09:14 AM
1. Totally agree. The queue system is badly damaged; very few matches begin with even numbers, and especially in Cap / Hold this creates a badly unbalanced game experience right from the start. It takes only seconds to sieze a node. If my team begins with 5 players to your 1, we will 5cap you within 30 seconds and then camp your starbase so that you can't ever get out to recap those nodes.

Games should not begin without even numbers. That creates new problems, but fixing this is critical.

2 and 3. A time limit on PvP maps could address this problem. So would a forced respawn after a certain interval (60 seconds seems reasonable). People who bail on a PvP match in progress should also receive a debuff that prevents them from queuing again for a reasonable (15 minutes?) amount of time to discourage that behavior.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMadman View Post
1st problem. Queue-ing. The big problem is that queues just don't put people into the game correctly. Klingons and Feds both suffer from this. No one likes loading in as the single player in a 5 vs. 1 match. It's a "Most Dangerous Game" type situation where it is 5 people hunting one person quickly killing any semblance of fun. I have been on the receiving end of this and the hunting pack end of this. It sucks, and is in no way fun or challenging. It can sometimes take 5-10 minutes for everyone to load in. How about you just don't let us play until all 10(at minimum) players have pushed engage. As a Klingon, it's kind of a waste of time for me to let 5 fedbears with an itchin' fur some pvp to slaughter me 40 times and get me less xp and medals.

2nd Problem. No end to games where feds beam out because they are getting beat. This is a big problem that klingons discuss in zone chat quite frequently. I am speaking from ground pvp experience, but I assume this happens in space with warping also. Here's an example situation. The klingons are rolling a fed group 20-1. Fed number 1 gets tired of it, so he decides not to respawn and go afk. It's 21-1 now, and Fed 2 gets tired of being innefective with the less apt to win team and beams out. Now it's 3 vs. 5 and the feds are getting smashed, 30-2. Instead of losing gracefully, all the feds beam out. Well, the klingons are stuck in the gameboard, with no win or no loss. It's just 30-2 and we have to wait for some poor sap to queue.(said poor sap will most likely beam out noticing the 1 vs 5 odds and we stuck with the same problem). Can Cryptic install some kind of mechanism that lets one side win when everyone has beamed out on an opposing team. Can something be installed where if klingons aren't engaged in 5 minutes, they come with a button that lets them win the match that was given up on? We have to do this to level up, and quite frankly, it is a busted game mechanic that lets the pve'er screw over the pvp'er because he gets cold feet.

3rd problem. Getting rid of people who chose not to respawn. Can Cryptic develop some way to kick players who have chosen not to respawn after a certain amount of time? I have seen klingons and feds do this, but it's a little less important on the list because it's not always something you can control. When you get killed and choose not to respawn, it can be for a multitude of reasons, A) Dinner/Lunch/Breakfast, B) An Emergency, C) Phone Call, D) Life, E) Whine about how unfair fighting against klingons in pvp is. All of these reasons are legit to halt play and not respawn. It's unfair to the pvp team though. If someone has not respawned in 5 minutes, can they please be kicked off the map to let someone willing to play come into the zone?
#rd problem -tell me how is it that i have to respawn when faced with 6 federation characters?Shouldnt i be making harder for them?AT BG 5 i can afford to wait for klinks to join.Im not here to help them level up.Im here to play and try to win the match not zerg myself into a mob of fed/klink characters so they can get credit.
Queuing needs a fix so that teams can start off even somehow.Unfortunately some people just cant handle losing in pvp so they beam out.Nothing can be done about that.Im sitting in a match right now with 6 fed characters jumping up and down on my corpse.LOL!Kids these days.Or adults who knows?
Most of the time its not the game its the players when it comes to pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMS View Post
#rd problem -tell me how is it that i have to respawn when faced with 6 federation characters?Shouldnt i be making harder for them?AT BG 5 i can afford to wait for klinks to join.Im not here to help them level up.Im here to play and try to win the match not zerg myself into a mob of fed/klink characters so they can get credit.
Queuing needs a fix so that teams can start off even somehow.Unfortunately some people just cant handle losing in pvp so they beam out.Nothing can be done about that.Im sitting in a match right now with 6 fed characters jumping up and down on my corpse.LOL!Kids these days.Or adults who knows?
Most of the time its not the game its the players when it comes to pvp.
Well, these problems I brought up are all related. I wouldn't expect you to get up. The queue system is very messed up. You shouldn't even be there in the first place, hence the need for a fix. If you were just staying down in a 5vs5 match though, I think a boot button is not out of order.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
While I'm not at all surprised to hear that Ks spend all of their time in zone chat emo QQing to each other about how very unfair the world is and how nobody understands them, I would agree with the mechanism that causes a side to lose if their people all beam out. It's cheap and moronic that people would rather quit than suffer the agonizing humiliation of dying a couple times and getting medals for it. I'm also in favor of a 24 hour debuff that disallows someone from joining PVP if they leave a single match before it's over.

I also considered advocating a 24 hour debuff that keeps someone from playing STO if they engage in butthurt QQing on the forums, but since that would mean a total erasure of the Klingon faction, I decided against it. I need someone to kill in PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, for some reason, screen shots aren't coming out with chat on them, but I had a fed explain how the feds disconnect after being killed to gain xp from their matches. I called it an exploit, but the fed said it doesn't ruin peoples fun and it's the developers fault; he/she proceeded to say they won't get in trouble for it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Maybe if ground pvp was enjoyable people might play it and not quit out? Just an idea. Yea I can understand a few people get off on the I disable you long time crap but most people don't.
Lt. Commander
# 8 I hear ya!
03-22-2010, 09:58 PM
This isn't just a problem for the Klingons...it's also a problem for the Fed players who are TRYING to stick it out and win. My hubby and his brother teamed up for a while tonight in ground PvP and the other Fed players kept either not participating or leaving the map. Very frustrating trying to team up and having all your allies bail on you. Not very Federation-like, eh?.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-24-2010, 05:47 AM
As I have learned, this even happens at BG/RA level. Man, This really needs to get fixed, or I see my time in this game ending in a couple of months.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Quote:

1st Problem: I agree the queue system doesn't work the best, instead of waiting for the map to fill up I would make it so it loads people in one for one. When 1 Klingon and 1 Fed are queued they would both load in, but if there are 2 Klingons loaded and 1 Fed then the extra Klingon wouldn't load in until another Fed queues. Waiting for the map to fill equally would take too much time I think

2nd Problem: This could be fixed partially by my solution to the first problem, and 2 make it so one can not leave until the match is over. Now to fix the possible exploit of logging off to escape, make it so the ships don't despawn if disconnected until the match is complete. This will suck if someone accidentally disconnects but the potential to mitigate intentional logging off to avoid a loosing battle.

3rd Problem: This would be easily fixed by an auto respawn instead of clicking to do so. An easy way to avoid spawn camping that may result from an auto respawn feature would be to have some way to make it so the enemy can't get close enough to the spawn point to kill the potentially AFK or loading in person.

OP great post!