Lt. Commander
# 21
03-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
Thanks for the interview, very interesting. A few comments :

5) Optional death penalty

If I understand correctly, you will add an optional DP. If it's the case, I'm glad you made that choice. You obviously didn't understand why so many players wanted a DP (hint : no, it is not sado-masochism) but I don't care as long as we have the option. Overall, the latest additions to the game were exactly what a lot of players asked for, which is the proof that yes, Cryptic does listen.

Again, thanks for the interview, very interesting stuff

PS : It would be great to make another chat, I'd like to ask a few questions (regarding diplomacy for instance )

I am pretty sure it has been discussed many times. But instead of a "death = penalty" (optional or otherwise) make a "survival = reward". It will produce the same effect/motivation.

That is if the idea is for people to take their "single life/ship" more seriously, then it can work. The mechanic of setting the "buff", i have no clue of how or when you should receive and it definately needs to be thought through carefully. And i think it should come through as a flat bonus - i.e. can come in the form of maybe a small % increase in drop chance, increased gained skill points, or maybe +3 points to all power systems. It needs a duration maybe 5 mins and of course you lose it once you die.

And on the flip side to make it interesting, your death penalty is getting a debuff for 10 or 15mins. Not necessarily anything that takes something away from your normal stats, but simply making you ineligible to earn that buff for the next 10mins.

The "default" is status quo and everyone is just normal like it currently is. The buff is for those who do something special, or get really lucky in battle and earn that buff. But they'll have to fight and survive to keep that little edge.

just a piece of my mind - and i reiterate
" i have no clue of how or when you should receive and it definately needs to be thought through carefully "
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Jack great interview. glad to see some of the things coming
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-23-2010, 03:30 AM
He is very honest and speaks a lot of truth about the current "fickle" MMO market.

WoW has created a legion of kids who seek negative attention by comparing every new MMO to it in some aspect.

Actually it's even more general then that the older MMOs that have had years to establish themselves (including Eve) have created a polluted environment for new MMOs to develop and mature.

Age of Conan is a good example of one of the absolute best MMOs out on the market but it got butchered (and rightly so to some extent) for the first four months after launch.

Age of Conan was in a far worse shape then any other A Title MMO in the history of gaming that eventually turned out to be astonishingly good.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-23-2010, 03:46 AM
I personally feel many of the reviews I read were unnecesarily harsh and judged the game in a very superficial way, concentrating on the flaws in game mechanics instead of even mentioning the huge amount of the ST universe that has been faithfully and lovingly recreated in game (which just seemed to be taken for granted).

I wrote comments several times on websites defending the game and would do so again, this game is really good and with the ongoing commitment of Cryptic (which seems to get stronger each day), it will continue to get better.

As to optional difficulties/beenfits - wouldn't these upset an otherwise level playing field ?

or in a similar vein to the suggestion earlier in this thread, could item/skill point rewards in some way be linked to the difficulty/penalty options ?

(ie basic items & lower skill points if diifficulty easy/DP off)
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-23-2010, 05:30 AM
Very interesting. You can see a lot of that new vs old MMO paradigm here on the forums, where you clearly have people who see the 'what it is now' vs people who see 'what it could be' arguing about it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimar
I am pretty sure it has been discussed many times. But instead of a "death = penalty" (optional or otherwise) make a "survival = reward". It will produce the same effect/motivation.
The problem with a survival reward is this: People notice when bad things happen to them. People don't notice as much when good things happen. If getting blown up in dramatic fashion doesn't "get through" to a careless player, and if waiting for the respawn timer doesn't feel like a "time-out," I somehow doubt they'll notice a 10% buff or a handful of energy credits.

It's good to hear Jack say that the DP is optional - but, given past history, I'm wondering if "what Jack said" will become "what actually happens."

All in all a good interview - but I hope Cryptic will understand if we forumites don't let up
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-23-2010, 06:02 AM
Very good podcast!! Really makes me happy and hopeful of the future of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager24 View Post
Thanks Jack great interview!
Listening to it now and it's good stuff so far.

I'm still upset with him for nerfing my Regen scrappers in CoX tho... :p

I could be convinced to forgive him for that if I were allowed to have an Orion and Vulcan love slave in addition to my regular crew...
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
  • He thinks SWG was crap at the beginning and got better towards the end!?

This has me VERY worried!
THIS!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing and had to actually rewind 3 times.

As for MMO's dieing, I can somewhat agree with your opinion on this however I do not agree with the reason. It's not WoWs fault nor is it the players fault.

Its the fault of companies that seem to have either forgotten or just don't care what an MMO is. It isn't a multi-player game that you get to charge a monthly fee for. This whole instancing crap that Cryptic seems to be so in love with is part of the problem. MMO means its a world that you participate in.

The whole reason that 'MMOs' seem to be going the way of the Dodo is because the last few that have been released haven't been MMOs.

STO is NOT an MMO. No grand world/galaxy to explore, no persistent environment.

You guys need to go back and look at UO, AO, SWG, WOW, EVE etc and see what an MMO is all about. Hell Tabula Rasa was more an MMO than STO is.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
  • He thinks SWG was crap at the beginning and got better towards the end!?

This has me VERY worried!
I think it's related to Jack Emmert's ideas about "fun". The man obviously believe that "fun" is absolute, not relative.

Diplomacy ? Boring. Dancing and having to work to become a Jedi ? Boring. Death penalty ? Boring.
Pew pew ? F U N !!!!!!!! ! ! ! ! ! !

This is a very limited vision IMHO, especially when it comes to Star Trek. The IP covers 40 years of movies and TV shows, it is beloved by many different people who don't necessarily share Jack Emmert's vision of "fun". While it makes pleasing everyone quite challenging, it also brings a lot of fans who will spend their money without a second thought if they find *their* Trek in the game.

And, IMHO, to give his customers *their* Trek, Jack Emmert must be much more open minded about what is "fun" or not, and trust the survey Cryptic made recently rather than his own tastes. For instance, considering that the pro-DPs are just a bunch a weird guys who like to suffer is not exactly "open minded"