Lt. Commander
# 41
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
Seriously having a bonus for not dying, how does that penalise you, if you die you get the same as you do now, if you dont you get a little extra, simple.
I love this quote button i really do, isn't this fun.

But where not going to get anything extra apart from hassle. the difficulty slider should based on loot drops not DP

Ok picture your in infected and something goes wrong and your team wipe but you being the guy behind manage to get away, your team runs all the way back which is a penalty in itself even if its not a big one to worry about.

Now depending what the DP is, your now gonna have to wait for your team to get run and get back to normal rather than jumping striate back in to that long long boring fight which will just now take even longer, i may not have died but its still holding my ass up, i've been penalised for my teams death that sucks for me so i don't want that, i'm selfish k

space isn't that slow so i cant speculate too much on what the dp will be for that but again i don't want to be leaving my mission or waiting too long.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I just listened to the interview. Very Good stuff Jack. Keep up The Great work Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Jack stated it perfectly of which I give him "Super Kudos" for actually admitting.

Death penalties are the 'dirty little secret' of subscription based games. They serve no purpose other than to make you play longer which means more money for the developer.
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemhook View Post
I love this quote button i really do, isn't this fun.

But where not going to get anything extra apart from hassle. the difficulty slider should based on loot drops not DP

Ok picture your in infected and something goes wrong and your team wipe but you being the guy behind manage to get away, your team runs all the way back which is a penalty in itself even if its not a big one to worry about.

Now depending what the DP is, your now gonna have to wait for your team to get run and get back to normal rather than jumping striate back in to that long long boring fight which will just now take even longer, i may not have died but its still holding my ass up, i've been penalised for my teams death that sucks for me so i don't want that, i'm selfish k

space isn't that slow so i cant speculate too much on what the dp will be for that but again i don't want to be leaving my mission or waiting too long.
Yes the DP your describing would be horrible, the walking back as a ghost to rez yourself you described earlier is ludicrous as well as totally outside of canon, you keep giving extreme examples of DPs in your argument against them. Let me make this clear, I DONT WANT A DEATH PENALTY, all im suggesting is a bonus for doing the mission (doesnt have to apply to raids but meh why not) without dying. Im not trying to take anything away from you if you die, just add a little incentive to stay alive.

Anyway this is all off topic, back on topic Jack Emmert loves NGE eewwwwwwwww :p
Lt. Commander
# 45 Thanks Jack
03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I just wanted to send a quick thank you out to Jack for coming on our show and being so transparent about the studio, and the games it has developed as well as letting us in to your personal space a little bit. I wish you and Cryptic the best of luck in your further development of STO and Champoins online. This writer thinks you are definitely on the right track.

Ivan
The Big Freaking Podcast
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
  • He thinks SWG was crap at the beginning and got better towards the end!?
  • He thinks lots of instancing is a good thing,

This has me VERY worried!
As someone who close beta SWG (and am a BIG space based Science Fiction genere fan who WANTED a kick ass Sci Fi MMO - I FULLY AGREE with jack's assessment of SWG at release. As for instancing - Please WoW's major clim to fame WERE the endgame instances that allowed full Guilds to go in as a group. That's what the hardcore and longtime subscribers to WoW loved (and still love to this day with all the nrew instanced dungeons, so again; if anything, it shows that Jack does indeed have a good handle on what the 'leader' (subscription wise) in MMOs is doing well.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
As someone who close beta SWG (and am a BIG space based Science Fiction genere fan who WANTED a kick ass Sci Fi MMO - I FULLY AGREE with jack's assessment of SWG at release.
He was not speaking of pre-release to release. If you are agreeing that the NGE was an improvement you are in the very VERY small minority.

As for instancing. There is a very big difference between how WoW handles instances and how Cryptic lives by them.

Comparing the two really is comparing apples to oranges. While WoW uses instances for Raids, STO uses instances for the entire game with a small number of general populace areas.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Jack Emmert has to ask for directions in his own game This guy is a joker no Step one to me is a step backwards. He admits he has no input whatsoever about what goes into STO and he never gave a dam about Trekkies and they wanted in a star trek online title. Cryptic claimed to have sold over 1 million units of STO in past interviews and press releases and in this most recent podcast interview Jack Emmert said there are only over 100k subscribers so far on STO

http://www.incgamers.com/News/21628/...00-subscribers

Goodbye have fun ill see you when the game is F2P like DDO
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Cryptic Co-founder and Chief Operating Officer Jack Emmert checked in with the folks on The Big Freaking Podcast this week. Give it a listen here.

Link to the news article.

There's no date on the article, but on the main page of http://thebigfreaks.com it says:
Quote:
By ivan on March 22, 2010
Yet in the interview Emmert says that he saw comments on "massively" "yesterday" saying that the games are unpolished etc, but when googling cryptic and massively there was no article the day before the interview was posted, only on the same day as the interview (AFTER the actual interview, the massively article actually mentions the bigfreaks interivew)...

I guess the thebigfreaks interview posted 22nd is actually from the 19th March and Emmert is referring to this one (found via google) since the comments (but not the actual article content so I'm not totally sure) seem to match with what he says: massively.com/2010/03/18/the-daily-grind-what-do-you-think-of-cryptic

P.S. YES TYPOS. MANY MANY TYPOS. AND DESCRIPTIONS/HELP FILES TOTALLY HORRIBLY HORRIBLY WRITTEN OR TOTALLY MISSING. You need to make them wiki style so that someone will end up writing useful stuff for people (look at the examples of www.stowiki.com or www.sto-intel.org maybe you could even incorporate a browser into the game that loads specific pages) if you do not have the resources to update them yourself...

anyway yeah I really wish these files had some kind of bookmarks so you can skip bits going lengthily on about comics and Disney Heroes Online (p.s. I actually liked city of villains [before it got boring and not worth playing after ncsoft took over] not cheesey stuff that makes you just want to throw napalm on it) straight to the relevant bits
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Anyone else notice the Bowen Thanos on his desk in that picture? That goes for $700-800 currently on ebay! I can't get a good look at the others though.