Lt. Commander
# 11
03-23-2010, 03:49 PM
All-time best - tied between:
STII: The Wrath of Khan

This captured the spirit of Trek more than any of the others, IMO.
&
STVI: The Undiscovered Country
This one is really close to being as good as WoK.

-----
Close honorable mention:
STIV: The Voyage Home - great feel-good story, most general audience appeal.

First Contact was a good action movie; can't say I disliked it as a movie but Trek-wise I was not happy with parts of the storyline and elements changed from canon.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Hard to pick as they all have faults and merits.

ST:TMP - Love to argue about the borg being reffered to in this!

WOK - I just found this to be brilliant when I first saw it.

FC - Got to love that the father of warp tech (earth) seemed to be a drunken, loud mouthed letch! Really though - to see the birth of earth warp culture was great.

As said though - too hard to pick!
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh God I really can't decide which is my favorite.... hmm well if I HAD to pick a favorite this is what my top 3 would probably will be:

1). Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan
-Why is it my favorite you ask? I can sum it up in one phrase.... "KKKKKKKHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Who didn't like that part? This movie was full of intense battles and full of heart stopping tragic moments...Lol I'm still 100% silent while Spock is being lowered down and shot onto the Genisis planet.

2). Star Trek: Generations
-This movie perfectly merged the two series together, and showed up more indepth understand of the two captains....oh and we finally found out the story of Ginen (w/e the spelling lol too lazy to look it up ). And with the shocking destrustion of the Enterprise-D, this movie pushed TNG to the edge.

3). Star Trek: First Contact
Watching the famous warp flight test was simply awsome. With the perfect sinc of action adn music this movie brought me to the edge of my seat when I saw it many years ago. This movie also pushed the limits for Picard and Data as they struggle to gain control of the Enterprise-E. Right as Data said "Resistance is futal" I began to laugh because I knew he was going to start to kick a$$ lol. Just a great film tbh. Oh and seeing Vulcans at a bar for the first time (as in timleline wise) was preety funny.

A sidenote about Star Trek (2009) I loved the effects and the new Constitution design, but having Vulcan destroyed always gets to me. I was luckily one of the few who were about to see the film 2 weeks before the official release in an IMAX theater. I was seated dead center which made it PERFECT! But being one of those fans who think too far into the timestream deal I automatically though to myself "Ah crap here comes another alternate timeline! (in a joking way) Save yourself ! " But really startign the movie off with the "Kevin dissaster" just made everyone silent and/or crying from the start; I was totally blown away and silent for about 10 min afterwards lol. Then as I said before the destruction of Vulcan I was in complete shock and felt like it was my home that was destroyed (this is how epic it was in this IMAX lol). Once more everyone silent. But the action in this film was good and we get to see parts of the TOS characters that we wouldn't see normally At the end of the film when Spock is about to ram the Jellyfish (which for those who don't know is Ambassador Spock's (Spock Prime) ship everyone was silent then a huge amount of cheering followed when the Enterprise warped out infront of Spock. After this cheering continued to the end of the film

Wow over did this, but hey this is what happens when I post at night lol...
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK-Nigh****ch
ST:TMP - Love to argue about the borg being reffered to in this!
I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one in the universe who loved the original movie. Gene Roddenberry himself supposedly postulated that the planet V'Ger visited was the Borg Homeworld. This was back during TNG era when the Borg were first introduced. The Borg have...shall we say...changed a lot since then.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one in the universe who loved the original movie. Gene Roddenberry himself supposedly postulated that the planet V'Ger visited was the Borg Homeworld. This was back during TNG era when the Borg were first introduced. The Borg have...shall we say...changed a lot since then.
I always thought it was interesting how budgetary restrictions on Star Trek (in this case, the fact that the Borg were originally going to be an insectoid race, but it proved easier and cheaper to make them robot zombies) led to really creative and original story decisions.

I mean, anyone familiar with sci fi literature during the 70s-80s (and later!) could tell you how common insectoid genocidal menaces really were. It'd have been to the detriment of Star Trek for their writers to have gone down the same path.

Edit: And to answer the question, I'm really going to have to put my neck on the line and say the latest JJ Abrams' film is my favourite. None of the other films quite worked as films to the same extent because Star Trek is so often at its best when confined to quiet moments, but film seems to demand epic scope for me to find it enjoyable. I did love Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock because they had their moments, but ST (2009) was where I rediscovered my love of Star Trek as a whole (first stirred by James Blish's novelisations before I ever saw TOS on TV.)
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-23-2010, 06:53 PM
ST:TMP - Yes it was slow, but the Enterprise in drydock scene accompanied by Jerry Goldsmiths beautiful, now iconic theme is just stunning. It also felt more like TOS more than any other Trek movie. And of course, just as the Enterprise got a refit, so did Shatner's hairpeice.

TWoK - Almost Shakespearian in it's drama. Ricardo Montalban as Kahn cuts a frightening Ahab type figure, especially with all the Moby **** quotes he lifted. Spocks death at the end will forever move me.

ST VI - A far darker movie than previous entries, as it tackled issues of prejudice and the fear of change. Very clever in its allegory as well as its plot. There was also a degree of poignancy as it was the last time we saw the original crew all together.

First Contact - We get our first look at the gorgeous Sovereign class Enterprise E. The Borg make their first appearance since the tv series and we get to witness the historic first flight of the Phoenix. Not as cerebral as ST VI but still an action filled trip which still manages to capture the spirit of Trek. Assimilate this!
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I know! This one is really reaching, given it's age, but there's another, better example, which I find AWESOMELY ironic:

Originally, back when they were making the Original Series, the Romulans were meant to be the main villain aliens, not the Klingons. Only one problem - too expensive; to many latex ear-tips. So they invented the Klingons - to save money on make-up.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I think TMP was ruined by the fact that it was trying desperately to compete with Space Odyssey on special effects and the story lacked heavily due to it.

For me it's a close race between WoK and FC.

The ship duel in WoK is probably the best conceived ship fight in cinema, they're both blind, can't see anything, that menacing music is playing in the background as they try to gun each other down.

FC-Epic speechs, space battles, a merciless enemy, time travel, backstory, temporal drunkenness.....the Millenium Falcon showing up to fight the cube....twas just epic.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
I know! This one is really reaching, given it's age, but there's another, better example, which I find AWESOMELY ironic:

Originally, back when they were making the Original Series, the Romulans were meant to be the main villain aliens, not the Klingons. Only one problem - too expensive; to many latex ear-tips. So they invented the Klingons - to save money on make-up.
The writers of Enterprise thought they'd solved the Klingon Forehead Problem ...or so they thought!, The characters of Kang , Kor and Koloth have appeared smooth headed in TOS and bumpy headed in DS9. Thus far no plausible explanation has been forwarded, either in canon or otherwise.

Continuity and canon are much like game design; as you fix one issue, it can cause another.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
My favorite is The Voyage Home. The one with the whales. It was a good story, very classically Star Trek, and had some very interesting scenes.

Second favorite is The Wrath of Khan. Which has an awesome story in addition to Ricardo Montalban's bare chest.