Lt. Commander
# 21
03-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
I know! This one is really reaching, given it's age, but there's another, better example, which I find AWESOMELY ironic:

Originally, back when they were making the Original Series, the Romulans were meant to be the main villain aliens, not the Klingons. Only one problem - too expensive; to many latex ear-tips. So they invented the Klingons - to save money on make-up.
There's a lot of anecdotal stuff along these lines. The transporter was created because it would have been too expensive to do landings and take offs every episode. It's also the reason why guest stars were always practically naked -- they couldn't afford the fabric to make elaborate costumes.

And I'll agree with many here, Wrath of Khan was the best of the original cast (with The Undiscovered Country a very close second) while First Contact was the best of the Next Gen cast. And I loved the reboot, can't wait for the next one!
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
The Undiscovered Country. That was Nick Meyer's Star Trek masterpiece. He is second only to the great bird of the galaxy. ( NUFF SAID )
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon_king View Post
My top three are

First Contact
The Voyage Home
The Wrath of Khan

One of my pet peeves about Abrams' movie is the warp speed effect. Star Trek: Enterprise is included in the alternate timeline since they didn't diverge until about 20 or so years before TOS. What would have changed warp physics so much in that time that warp speed looks more like hyperspace from Star Wars?
I read somewhere that engineering designs in the new timeline were more advanced because they were able to scan and analyze the Romulan ship during the first encounter. This also explained why the ship's design was slightly different.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ominousvoice View Post
The writers of Enterprise thought they'd solved the Klingon Forehead Problem ...or so they thought!, The characters of Kang , Kor and Koloth have appeared smooth headed in TOS and bumpy headed in DS9. Thus far no plausible explanation has been forwarded, either in canon or otherwise.

Continuity and canon are much like game design; as you fix one issue, it can cause another.
Are you referring to the virus explanation? Yet another reason why I try to forget ST:E ever existed.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Voyage Home. I love the 'colorful metaphors'.
Search for Spock. Because I really like Christopher Loyd as a Klingon.
Wrath of Khan. I like tie-ins to past stories.
The Undiscovered Country. For a multitude of reasons.
Nemesis. Great ship to ship battle.
The new Star Trek. I just thought it was done well, some inconsistencies but it was good.

I enjoyed the first movie if for no reason than, being the geek that I am, I've often wondered what could become of our Voyager probes.

These are in no particular order.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Star Trek II and VI.

Kirk at his best.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Wrath of Khan: the Mutara Nebula theme...I often wondered why that was never used again in a series like the theme from the Motion Picture was.....

First Contact: Assimilate This....and Resistance is Futile...Just thought it was an all around good pic.

Voyage Home: If you get the chance, watch the blooper reel. It's on Youtube...go..now...watch..I DEMAND IT!
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
I know! This one is really reaching, given it's age, but there's another, better example, which I find AWESOMELY ironic:

Originally, back when they were making the Original Series, the Romulans were meant to be the main villain aliens, not the Klingons. Only one problem - too expensive; to many latex ear-tips. So they invented the Klingons - to save money on make-up.
Yeah, I have a copy of The Making of Star Trek too. If I can only find it now.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
BTW, Wrath of Kahn. The best. When you understand that Ricardo Montalban had a serious problem with his back during the filming of the movie and wore a back brace through the whole thing. You sort of see where he was coming from. Sort of using his pain to create Kirks truest enemy.

Damn.

Now I'm gonna cry.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ominousvoice View Post
The writers of Enterprise thought they'd solved the Klingon Forehead Problem ...or so they thought!, The characters of Kang , Kor and Koloth have appeared smooth headed in TOS and bumpy headed in DS9. Thus far no plausible explanation has been forwarded, either in canon or otherwise.

Continuity and canon are much like game design; as you fix one issue, it can cause another.
It's addressed in Star Trek Online.