Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 1 Silenced again
03-24-2010, 02:08 AM
And no, I was not fleet spamming (don't belong to one) or anything else.

Small teams of people can silence anyone they want with impunity. I've reported someone for it and nothing was done.

The ability for small groups of people to silence anyone they don't like for 24 hours is absurd. Leave the discipline to the GMs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post
And no, I was not fleet spamming (don't belong to one) or anything else.

Small teams of people can silence anyone they want with impunity. I've reported someone for it and nothing was done.

The ability for small groups of people to silence anyone they don't like for 24 hours is absurd. Leave the discipline to the GMs.

Just out of curiousity.... do you happen to know if you MIGHT have done ANYTHING that prompted those people to report you (again)?
See, there is more than one way to annoy others in a general chat, so MAYBE they had a reason?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Starfire
Just out of curiousity.... do you happen to know if you MIGHT have done ANYTHING that prompted those people to report you (again)?
See, there is more than one way to annoy others in a general chat, so MAYBE they had a reason?
Yes I was 'arguing' without swearing, spamming, cursing, etc. I was only REPLYING to things people were saying to me.

My point is, my message rate was quite low (perhaps 1 per 30 seconds), everything I was saying was relevant (replying to what people were saying to me), and within the TOS (nothing even close to a violation.)

If I said something 'wrong' then a GM should deal with it and ban me or suspend me. It appears that it only takes around 5 players to silence someone. Most people are using report spam regardless simply to invoke the silence.

As an example, a 5 person team in PVP can silence the opposing team just for fun, with apparently no action from GMs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post
Yes I was 'arguing' without swearing, spamming, cursing, etc. I was only REPLYING to things people were saying to me.

My point is, my message rate was quite low (perhaps 1 per 30 seconds), everything I was saying was relevant (replying to what people were saying to me), and within the TOS (nothing even close to a violation.)

If I said something 'wrong' then a GM should deal with it and ban me or suspend me. It appears that it only takes around 5 players to silence someone. Most people are using report spam regardless simply to invoke the silence.

As an example, a 5 person team in PVP can silence the opposing team just for fun, with apparently no action from GMs.

While I have not sufficient information to judge you here, I must inform you that many messages from the same person, even if they do not contain a "direct" insult, may prompt others to report that person not only for the sheer amount of messages but for their "contents" as well.

However, from what you wrote here, I deduct that somehow whatever you were typing must have been annoying to other users of the chat at that time, therefore you were reported and silenced.
And as for your "innocence", being falsely silenced might happen once - but if it happens more than once I dare say that it happens for a reason.

EDIT: fyi despite the fact that being silenced is uncomfortable, it does not qualify, not even remotely, as a "bug", as the system that is applied here seems to be working as intended, basically.
How people are using it however is a different thing - but also not something that could be defined as a "bug". So: wrong sub-forum.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2010, 07:07 AM
How come it's always the posters fault? I am begining to suspect some of these "it's your fault" posters are actually behind the silencing efforts in game just to come to the baords and post holier then thou replies.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaQuadrant
How come it's always the posters fault? I am begining to suspect some of these "it's your fault" posters are actually behind the silencing efforts in game just to come to the baords and post holier then thou replies.
While I eagerly admit that I have indeed reported a few "funny" loudmouths in-game, my reasoning is still valid.

I honestly believe that in order to be silenced, a person USUALLY (not always, but in MOST cases) has done something that prompted a sufficient number of individuals to use the "report spam" function on that person.
Notice the word "individuals".

Besides, on a general note, this ain't WoW anymore where people could sometimes clog up a chat channel for hours without ever being punished - here, in STO, overdoing your act will get you into trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2010, 12:18 AM
i think the issue is that the more you talk the more you are going to be silenced, regardless of content.

This has happened at least once to most of the people I know. It's happened to me about 5 times, some more deservedly than others. This last time I am confident I said nothing insulting or even remotely TOS. If you accept that assumption, then I don't see how you can't consider that a bug.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I remember loosely someone with a name very close to, or exactly the same as DKStarfire in game, arguing over star trek canon. For over an hour.

By the way you describe what is reportable, I suppose what I described above is since its exactly the same.

Though it could have been DKAngelFire or something like that.

I just love it when my memory throws me a snippet that could be relevant now and then.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-25-2010, 12:46 AM
I also want to point out this a MULTIPLAYER game.

We have to tolerate a certain degree of diversity from other players. I like to talk. I've never had trouble in any other game, and I've never been banned anywhere. For some reason I can't seem to figure out how to talk in this game without getting silenced eventually.

A game with so much instancing, such easy soloing (until end game I guess), and common silencing seems like it's trying hard to be single player
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-25-2010, 12:51 AM
in before lock. This thread will be locked by a GM as soon as it is seen as it is grounds for Flamming. GL on getting help now...