Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Starfire
While I eagerly admit that I have indeed reported a few "funny" loudmouths in-game, my reasoning is still valid.

I honestly believe that in order to be silenced, a person USUALLY (not always, but in MOST cases) has done something that prompted a sufficient number of individuals to use the "report spam" function on that person.
Notice the word "individuals".


Besides, on a general note, this ain't WoW anymore where people could sometimes clog up a chat channel for hours without ever being punished - here, in STO, overdoing your act will get you into trouble.
Then by your very reasoning it would be more logical to not say anything at all to anyone......wheres the fun in that?

Problem is we're a whipped tard version of ourselves. Everyone is worried about hurt feelings. No matter how appropriate we try to be to one another, the human race is nothing more than animals with intent in thier actions. If we were truly civil, we wouldnt need iggy, police, armies, laws...you get the idea.

Still there are 3 sides to every story, yours, his, and the truth. We all percieve things from a different angle.
Not to be offensive or of the like, but more people should drop this stupid PC cop out as it displays the severity of thier insecurity as a individual. Thus making them do things that are not considered fair to others with more lucidity in thier actions and vise versa.

With that being said, again, this is why I don't try to hold meaningful convo in any group outside of fleet. If your polite and people are doing this just to spite, then that is wrong and the GM's need to be more subjective in who gets silenced. Maybe silence someone who does this sort of thing for spite as that would show consequence for being unreasonable from a fairness standpoint.

Without knowing fully the mechanics of the system I'm afraid i cannot comment on an ultimate solution. So this is just my opinion. However I will say that this is not the first time i have seen this kind of thing in game and on forum. Ya kinda have to take it with a grain of salt.....if everyone did that........we wouldn't have this problem.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrTuvok
in before lock. This thread will be locked by a GM as soon as it is seen as it is grounds for Flamming. GL on getting help now...
'Flamming' ?

Anyway, I don't know what you consider to be flaming, but the point I made was valid. Thanks for the contribution, though. Stay in school.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-25-2010, 02:12 AM
If memory serves this is the "alpha male" his whole demeanor is how he ended up on my personal ignore
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-25-2010, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post
'Flamming' ?

Anyway, I don't know what you consider to be flaming, but the point I made was valid. Thanks for the contribution, though. Stay in school.
1 your point is not valid and 2 this thread should shall soon be locked. By the way the personal ignore list is bugged for a few people.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-25-2010, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius39
I remember loosely someone with a name very close to, or exactly the same as DKStarfire in game, arguing over star trek canon. For over an hour.

By the way you describe what is reportable, I suppose what I described above is since its exactly the same.

Though it could have been DKAngelFire or something like that.

I just love it when my memory throws me a snippet that could be relevant now and then.

As I don't remember having a discussion in general chat about Star Trek canon (since I believe that lamenting about what should and what shouldn't be in the game according to "canon" is a bit pointless, at least in the in-game chat), I think it is safe to assume that it wasn't me.

In fact, the only time I do type such extensive ammounts of text which might be considered "too much" by a public audience is when I have a private chat with someone.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Then by your very reasoning it would be more logical to not say anything at all to anyone......wheres the fun in that?

Problem is we're a whipped tard version of ourselves. Everyone is worried about hurt feelings. No matter how appropriate we try to be to one another, the human race is nothing more than animals with intent in thier actions. If we were truly civil, we wouldnt need iggy, police, armies, laws...you get the idea.

Still there are 3 sides to every story, yours, his, and the truth. We all percieve things from a different angle.
Not to be offensive or of the like, but more people should drop this stupid PC cop out as it displays the severity of thier insecurity as a individual. Thus making them do things that are not considered fair to others with more lucidity in thier actions and vise versa.

With that being said, again, this is why I don't try to hold meaningful convo in any group outside of fleet. If your polite and people are doing this just to spite, then that is wrong and the GM's need to be more subjective in who gets silenced. Maybe silence someone who does this sort of thing for spite as that would show consequence for being unreasonable from a fairness standpoint.

Without knowing fully the mechanics of the system I'm afraid i cannot comment on an ultimate solution. So this is just my opinion. However I will say that this is not the first time i have seen this kind of thing in game and on forum. Ya kinda have to take it with a grain of salt.....if everyone did that........we wouldn't have this problem.

Well, the aforementioned "loudmouths" mainly were about, I think, some 12 - 18 people who were flooding the chat at Earth Spacedock with the "Tribble Movie Name Game" - for at least an hour straight. And when I say "flooding", I mean flooding. And despite several remarks from me and several others that they are in fact spamming nonsense at an increasingly annoying rate they mouthed us off as being "no fun" and continued with their super-witty extra-creative game.
Now, if this would have been the first time that I observed people doing this, I wouldn't even have bothered to respond in any way and let them have their fun. But renaming famous quotes and movie titles with the word "tribble" has been done OVER and OVER again, everytime for at least an hour straight, everytime clogging up the chat in the respective area.

Get it into your heads, people: both the "tribble name game" and "clever" comments and "jokes" about Sulu / George Takei are OLD by now, and have not only been done but OVERDONE.
And if some people do not listen to both reason and legitimate complaints, then I report them.

And from what I could gather later, I by far wasn't the only one who felt this way, as some of those "funmakers" got their well-earned silencing.


I can ignore and shrug off a lot of stuff, but sometimes a line has to be drawn.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post
i think the issue is that the more you talk the more you are going to be silenced, regardless of content.

This has happened at least once to most of the people I know. It's happened to me about 5 times, some more deservedly than others. This last time I am confident I said nothing insulting or even remotely TOS. If you accept that assumption, then I don't see how you can't consider that a bug.

You have been silenced in-game FIVE TIMES by now?

You do know that if someone hits "report spam" on you that you are also automatically added to that person's ignore list. So unless someone really would remove your name from his ignore afterwards again, just so he / she can report you again if he / she sees you, that means that you somehow managed to annoy 5 different groups of individuals enough to report you and get you silenced.

So forgive my if I am a bit... sceptical... about your chat activity.
And for the record, neither myself nor anyone I know personally in-game has ever been silenced from the chat so far - which also leads me to wonder about not only you, but your friends as well.


And, for the (hopefully) last time, a "bug" is a technical glitch. Overusing a game function that leads to people being excluded from the game chat could at best be defined as an "exploit" - and even that is a bit off, as one and the same user would have to use "report spam" repeatedly on either the same person and / or use it to report several people for "trivial" reasons far beyond anything that would even remotely be punishable by any rules here.
So your complaint is still misplaced here, sub-forum wise.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-25-2010, 06:48 AM
This all has to do with the fact that Cryptic doesn't want to do anything to Fleet Spammers.

As apparent by their 1984'ing of my posts.

Really I understand his (their) beefs.

The "Report Spam" button is to be used to report gold sellers only, as per this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
For those who are asking about other types of spam, such as Fleet recruitment and WTT/WTS, I recommend ignoring the player using the standard ignore functionality, or creating a Behavior GM ticket so that we can review the context surrounding the chat[/b].

'Report Spam' is designed for credit spammers. The tickets that we receive for spammers involve a fraud investigation to ensure that they are not using a stolen credit card, so if you see someone spamming their fleet recruitment there is really no need for us to check their Billing information. I apologize that this is not completely clear in the interface.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...5&postcount=64

Since it is obvious, I think, that these folks aren't selling anything we are supposed to just ignore their blatant disregard to the rules. Or we can submit a "ticket", yeah those get resolved real quick.

More or less it was a fancy way to say, report them and we won't do a darn thing. We could fix it so the button wouldn't assume that the reporters were right, but then we would actually have to work and read and other types of things that don't involve filling our collective wallets. This way the gold reporters are taken care of, and the recruiters can still spam!

Well, I don't condone breaking rules, but I am not surprised that people are just skipping the middle man. We already have to wait for you to get rid of the "real spammers" (Notice the quotes), this time they have decided to do your job for you! Oh wait, that is how things work around here anyway.

Well if you want us to "report" people, then make some more MODS or DEVS or someone to respond to the "reports". Until then, and I hope this happens for all time, ALL spammers should (and will) be silenced using this exploit. Just as they use their exploits to spam crap in the chat channel.

How much you want to bet they just lock this thread too, without so much as a peep. Transparency? Yeah I can see right through this behavior Cryptic.

(Waits patiently to add this post to the upcoming thread: "Star Trek: The Path To 1984"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigregorio View Post
This all has to do with the fact that Cryptic doesn't want to do anything to Fleet Spammers.

As apparent by their 1984'ing of my posts.

By the way Phoxe, why do ask me to mail you about it so you can just ignore it? Remember, I will be in the area next week. I am sure Customer Services will want to talk with me.

Ticket is still not been addressed either. That's okay, I put a clause in it that said if they don't it waives the rules. God I love knowing law!

As for the topic, you spammed you were silenced.

Really I understand his (their) beefs.

The "Report Spam" button is to be used to report gold sellers only, as per this post:


http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...5&postcount=64

Since it is obvious, I think, that these folks aren't selling anything we are supposed to just ignore their blatant disregard to the rules. Or we can submit a "ticket", yeah those get resolved real quick.

More or less it was a fancy way to say, report them and we won't do a darn thing. We could fix it so the button wouldn't assume that the reporters were right, but then we would actually have to work and read and other types of things that don't involve filling our collective wallets. This way the gold reporters are taken care of, and the recruiters can still spam!

Well, I don't condone breaking rules, but I am not surprised that people are just skipping the middle man. We already have to wait for you to get rid of the "real spammers" (Notice the quotes), this time they have decided to do your job for you! Oh wait, that is how things work around here anyway.

Well if you want us to "report" people, then make some more MODS or DEVS or someone to respond to the "reports". Until then, and I hope this happens for all time, ALL spammers should (and will) be silenced using this exploit. Just as they use their exploits to spam crap in the chat channel.

How much you want to bet they just lock this thread too, without so much as a peep. Transparency? Yeah I can see right through this behavior Cryptic.

(Waits patiently to add this post to the upcoming thread: "Star Trek: The Path To 1984"
Actually my friend you are wrong there. The clause will only apply to a legal document signed by both parties, as I am aware you and cryptic have signed no such agreement, on top of that you agreed to abide by there Terms and Conditions set forth by Cryptic Studios. You may think you know the law, but I can assure you even with your clause if you assume its waived you can still be banned and your account CAN be terminated - Legally!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrTuvok
Actually my friend you are wrong there. The clause will only apply to a legal document signed by both parties, as I am aware you and cryptic have signed no such agreement, on top of that you agreed to abide by there Terms and Conditions set forth by Cryptic Studios. You may think you know the law, but I can assure you even with your clause if you assume its waived you can still be banned and your account CAN be terminated - Legally!
Implied consent, that is all I have to say on the off topic. That, and yes they will probably just ban me. Easier than working.

For the on topic, spam is against the rules.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.